How many 308 GT4's left??? | FerrariChat

How many 308 GT4's left???

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by rmdferrari, Oct 22, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    There's been a few GT4 related threads of late.... so who have a stab at how many are left in the UK out of a RHD total of 547? Some would have been destined for Japan, Austrailia or other RHD markets.

Nickt, Mark 308GT4... any ideas? "Even" Jonathan Tremlett isn't sure. With the market suddenly realising what cracking value the car is.. be good to know how many they are.?

2. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I keep a track on those that come up for sale. I reckon there are about 200 in the (tracked around 100 over the past year or two) UK, worldwide, there can't be more than 900 - 1000 left?

3. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Interesting. I was thinking 200-250 tops. As they were almost disposable 15 years ago, 200 or so seems a fair guess.... though it wouldn't surprise me if someone came up with a verified lower figure.

Are DVLA (or anyone with access to their records) able to source this info????

4. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Hi Richard
    Are you saying 250 globaly?
    I agree with you about their disposability a while ago, but if there was only 250 left in the world that would make them rarer than rocking horse poo, and extremely valuble - Oh I wish..
    I have written an email to the DVLA to find out.

Cheers
    Nick

5. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Thanks Nick.... be great if they could help. I did email a gov dept a while back as they are quoted in Practical Classicc every month under the section "How Many Left on UK Roads?" (ie Matra Rancho - 3) Didn't get a helpful response. :(

I meant 200-250 in the UK. There seems to be loads on the States, where they are truely loved and admired.

6. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    This was the DVLA's reply. So I have fired off the same email to all 6 names below!

Non-personal anonymised vehicle data extracted from the DVLA vehicle register is now available through six commercial selling agents.

The data comprises of 28 data fields taken from the vehicle register, but does not include the name and address of vehicle keepers, vehicle registration mark, vehicle identification or engine number. This information has been omitted to protect and ensure the anonymity of individual vehicle keepers.

The data does include partial postcode information that will for example, enable the distribution of vehicles across Great Britain to be deduced by make, model and body type.

Data from Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man, and the Channel Islands, which have their own vehicle registers, is not included in the scheme.

We believe the data to be of tremendous value to industry in advertising campaigns, and for deciding the optimum location for siting dealerships or retail outlets.

For more information on prices and what information and products are available, please contact any of the following selling agents.
    Experian
    Contact Point: Neil Bell
    Embankment House
    Electric Avenue
    Nottingham
    NG2 1RQ
    : 0115 968 5037
    Fax: 0115 968 5003
    e-mail: [email protected]

RL Polk Leeds Limited
    Contact Point: Jon McCausland
    26 –30 Upper
    Marlborough RD
    St Albans
    Herts
    AL1 3UU
    :0172 773 3817
    Fax: 0172 773 4700

The Society of Motor Manufacturers & Traders Limited
    Contact Point: Carmelo Aquilina
    Forbes House
    Halkin Street
    London
    SW1X 7DS
    : 020 7344 9209
    Fax: 020 7235 7112

Urban Science International Limited
    Contact point: Meho Macic
    Urban Science House
    Gogmore Lane
    Chertsey
    KT16 9AP
    : 01932 574 400
    Fax: 01932 574 401

GMAP Automotive
    Contact Point: Mark Whitton
    1 Park Lane
    Leeds
    LS3 1EP

Regards
    Miss G Davies
    www.direct.gov.uk/motoring

7. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Good work Nick. :)

8. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Failed miserably :(
    From experian

"I've just had a look at this and I'm afraid the information provided to us by DVLA doesn't allow us to identify this specific model. Much of the information available for such limited volume vehicles is restricted to a manufacturer description only."

However, this from the society of motor manufacturers

"In response to your query, the number of Ferrari 308 GT4 in England, Scotland and Wales total 651. This figure includes units of both the Berlina and Spyder registered as new in these territories by the official importer and also any personal imports of used models."

9. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Well they don't know their arze from their elbow.

"In response to your query, the number of Ferrari 308 GT4 in England, Scotland and Wales total 651. This figure includes units of both the Berlina and Spyder registered as new in these territories by the official importer and also any personal imports of used models."

You got a Berlina or Spyder??? :D:D

10. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    They just lumped every 308 GT* together.
    So that shows one thing, there are lots of GTBs and GTSs, so there must been even fewer GT4s!

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Maranello Concessionaires Guide shows 547 GT4 / 481 GTB / 484 GTS as UK RHD Imports which suggests 651 (approx 50 %) could be the total of all three left with as noted in all likelihood the GT4 less well represented due to relative value against cost of maintenance

12. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    I think that's likely to be the case. Far more GT4's have been scrapped or broken (as a percentage of total production) than any of the GTB/GTS variants. Looking like a little under 200 RHD GT4's may be closer? Any more thoughts? I believe Jonathan Tremlett only counted a handful of GT4's at Silverstone this year.

13. Mark 308 gt4

Mark 308 gt4 Formula Junior

Apr 24, 2006
    West London
    Full Name:
    Mark Taviner
    Sorry chaps,
    Just came on and my name was in the first post.
    Very interesting, would the Ferrari owners club help? They are world wide, I know that some people are not a member, (Are you Nick Long story) :0) But they may give a world wide figure as a starting point.

I will email them and ask the question.
    Get back to you!

Regards
    Mark

PS we need to get all our GT4s together at some point next summer.........

14. John J.

John J. Karting

Sep 4, 2007
    South West England
    Wow, not that many left then. I've often wondered this and would have expected nearer 75% to have survived, based on nothing more than guess work admittedly!

15. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Yup... we definately need to get together some time. Myself and Dan (208gt4) are based in Sussex, but don't mind a jaunt. :) Let me know how you do with the FOC.

16. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    #16 jtremlett, Oct 24, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Perhaps they know more than you think (see pic of a GT4 Spyder). FWIW I read that answer as potentially indicating how many were ever registered in the UK, not how many are currently. It is somewhat ambiguous.

How many were present at Silverstone is not entirely relevant.

Since you know very well that if you ask the FOC they would refer the query to me it seems a bit pointless going a circuitous route! For info, I have personally seen 42 different UK 308 GT4s this year. Something over 100 are currently owned by current FOC members (some of the 42 are not included in that number).

Jonathan
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

17. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    So Jonathan,
    I thought I had watched about a 100 swap hands over the past 3 years in the UK, and there would be about the same number in original hands, are you saying the number is less than that? So only 1 fifth of the original cars survive?

Don't forget there are some imported GT4s, there was one on ebay recently that was imported from Japan, obviously they would not be included in the original 542.

Love the convertable, I just wish it was a real Spyder and not after market, lets see what happens when I cut my roof off :( I saw a 208 sometime ago and that was lovely

Interesting; If you look up the reg it is a 1975 208 gt4

Cheers
    Nick

18. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Nick,

No, I was answering different questions. More than 100 are currently owned by FOC members. I have seen 42 different cars this year*, some of which are not included in that 100+ (i.e. are not cars currently owned by FOC members). Many more I will not have seen. Extrapolating from what I know I would say that indicates a minimum of 250 cars in the UK currently and possibly, even probably, somewhat more than that.

The spyder pictured is indeed a 208 GT4. It is believed, but not confirmed, that it was actually made by Bertone. Generally, an indication of whether a spyder is actually by one of the Italian design houses rather than an aftermarket cut is how good the hood stowage is. I have seen this car with the hood down as well as up and it does look very neat indeed (don't have a pic to hand), so it would seem possible. Having said which, it does currently need a little tlc.

Jonathan

Edit: * Note, for example, I haven't seen your car this year, although I note that I did see it last year at one of the TVFOC pub meets.

19. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    The Spyder is a "one-off" conversion...no? There weren't any Spyder/Spiders in GT4 form.

How many were at Sliverstone is relevant as an indicator when compared with GTB/GTS numbers. Do you have these?

Something over 100 is a little vauge for you Fingers!! ;) Pls check your "FOC" database for accurate figure. Also, what's your view of the percentage of this age of Ferrari that would be FOC members? ie, if 50% of all owners are also FOC members, your 100 (for arguements sake) predicts 200. Just an estimate JT, won't hold you to it. :)

20. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    Cool, that makes sense and ties up with my assumptions. I should go through the register again, but life is too short at the mo!!

Cheers
    Nick

21. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    That is a GT4 spyder, but yes, as far as I know it is a one-off although, as previously stated, it may actually be a Bertone prototype rather than a conversion as such.

If you really want them here are the Silverstone numbers, but I don't think they tell you a great deal about how many cars remain:
    308 GT4: 14
    308 GTB: 16
    308 GTB QV: 4
    308 GTBi: 1
    308 GTS: 7
    308 GTS QV: 9
    308 GTSi: 1

'Something over 100' is a little vague because I'm not prepared to divulge the exact figure!

I don't know what percentage of Ferrari owners in the UK are members of the UK Owners' Club, but very rough calculations would indicate about 25%. Taking that figure would indicate a pretty good proportion of GT4s are still around.

Jonathan

22. rmdferrari

rmdferrari Formula 3

Jan 6, 2005
    Gatwick, UK
    Full Name:
    Richard
    So, at Silverstone.... 38 GTB/GTS.... 14 GT4. How many GTB/GTS were made in RHD, can't find the book at the mo?

Assuming the same percentage of GTB/GTS owners and GT4 owners would go, this could be a pointer to GT4 numbers?

23. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I don't think it is much of a pointer, but here are the numbers I have:
    GTB: 154 vetroresina, 211 steel
    GTB QV: 75
    GTBi: 42
    GTS: 184
    GTS QV: 240
    GTSi: 68

Total: 974

Jonathan

24. tommo

tommo Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 29, 2004
    Gloucestershire
    Full Name:
    Julian
    Richard - I really admire your detective work here - sort of Colombo with glasses, but I feel you're trying to get the remaining UK number of 308GT4's down to Stradale level in an attempt to increase the value of 308GT4's to circa £80K:D

Secretly, I reckon you've got some lock-up in Sussex where the remaining GT4's are being crushed or at best recycled:D

Keep up the good work

25. 208 GT4

208 GT4 Formula 3

Dec 27, 2003
    Brighton (UK)
    Full Name:
    Dan
    If there were a total of 547 originally registered, then assuming 75% survival rate which I think is an average for Ferraris would give 410. That would mean that an average of 4.5 cars per year have been scrapped, which seems a bit low to me...especially given the propensity of their fuel lines to leak and fondness for track usage?