Why hide number plates? | FerrariChat

Why hide number plates?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wolfgang1756, Jul 5, 2011.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wolfgang1756

Wolfgang1756 Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    Hi,

I notice that most people blank out the number plates when posting pictures of their cars.

What is the reason? Is there any harm if one does not?

I don't believe that one can obtain and the name and address of the owner from the number plate, unless they are the Police. Right?

I want to post some pictures of my car and it is really cumbersome to blank out the number plate on each one, but at the same time I don't want to be vulnerable.

Would sincerely appreciate any advice and information.

Thanks.

2. 8-Ball

8-Ball Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2006
    Sussex
    Full Name:
    Adam
    You can obtain the details from the DVLA for a small charge, but you need a good and legitimate reason. This doesn't mean that people won't lie to the DVLA, though.....

Personally I wouldn't bother blanking out my number plates, as I think the risk of the above is probably quite small.

3. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    You do not want to some criminal-minded person to clone your number plate as if they get caught speeding on camera etc, it will be you getting the blame.

4. Challenge64

Challenge64 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Ron
    It is a strange paranoia all over Europe. The main concern is that of privacy. Which I find kind of odd..but I'll go with it. I try to block out all license plates for my European books or website stories I publish - unless it is a press car.

The privacy is this..people don't want to have their car seen in pictures (odd considering people walk by and see the car in person). People don't want pictures of themselves parking illegally, driving about town when your boss thinks your home in bed sick, at a strip club, ditching school, and who knows whatever else. The whole mentality kinda fits in with the whole notion of not putting a "750iL" badge on the back of their BMW 7 Series.

But then again, this is an observation on a yank..so correct me if I am wrong...

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    As an Anglo-American dual national, I agree. :)

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. Wolfgang1756

Wolfgang1756 Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    Thanks for the very useful information.

@8-Ball - I didn't know that the DVLA would give that information out.

@RS man - True but the theif would then also have to have the same car.

@Challenge64 - I think I agree with you.

Anyway I think the risk is minimal. If some bad guy wants to get dirty he will anyway. So I will post pics with my number plates for all to see!

7. Kaivball

Kaivball Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jan 11, 2007
    Kalifornia
    Right on.

Especially the badging. Always makes me laugh.

Kai

8. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    It is an interesting point whether or not to blank out registration plates on photos. For me this issue is data protection.

While it's true that anyone can see my registration while it's parked in the street. What they cannot see however is my name next to the picture of the registration. A registration on it's own is data a registration matched to my name becomes information.

9. Wolfgang1756

Wolfgang1756 Karting

Mar 30, 2011
    True but what harm can this information do to you??? So far it seems not much...

10. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Probably no harm at all, but as 8-Ball has already said the DVLA will provide the information for a small fee. The more information you are able to to give the DVLA they are probably more willing to provide more important information like addresses.

For the sake of a couple of minutes to blank out the plates in MS paint I would rather minimize the risk.

I'm not saying you should or you shouldn't it's a personal choice.

11. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Sure, the criminal has to have the same car - it doesn't have to be a Ferrari.

12. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Actually, my neighbours had the license plates stolen off their Renault Scenic a few years ago. Someone unscrewed them right off the car while it was on the driveway in order to clone it.

All the best,
    Andrew.

13. Fan512bbi

Fan512bbi Two Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2004
    Wales-UK
    Full Name:
    Steve.
    That is common now because you have to provide proof that you own the car in order to have new plates made.

14. late348

late348 Rookie

May 27, 2005
    I conceal plates on cars I own for the same reasons that I keep my financial details in a safe, my property addresses off the internet and draw the curtains at night - simple privacy. I also don't like the idea of people being able to associate me with a property, car, area, etc. It has nothing to do with having something to hide but a lot to do with being burgled, having to deal with all the hassle that entails and also being the sort of person who doesn't tend to disclose much about themself outside of a small circle of friends. If concealing number plates is so irrelevant/trivial, then isn't it strange that anyone would be interested in the motive(s)?