University of Exeter | FerrariChat

University of Exeter

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 2000 456M, Jan 10, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    My son is applying to college (as we say in the US) and was contacted by the University of Exeter encouraging him to apply and there isn't a lot of time to mull it all over. He plans to study History and English Literature and then return to the US to study law. The University of Exeter website, of course, makes it all terribly appealing. And, of course, the weather in Devon is pretty pleasant and similar to where we live.

A little background: The only school in the UK he had thought seriously about before was Oxford, but he was too late in the process and hadn't taken enough of the required tests to be a competitive applicant. Ditto University of Edinburgh. U of Glasgow is more science than humanities oriented (they contacted him, too). He has applied to a number of American schools, but I think he'd like the adventure of going to college in Europe (he took a college-level course in art history in Florence at the Medici Institute and loved the experience).

Questions: What is the intellectual quality of the teaching and the student body? The school's reputation? Any other relevant things a barbaric American should know? Thanks.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Very civilised area with friendly Ferrari dealer - probably drier then Portland - generally thought of as one of the better places to go and to be seen to have gone

This Wikipedia page seems to sum up perceptions etc well University of Exeter - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

3. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    My wife went there. Good school. Boring town. That might be a good thing for collage kids :)

4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I have not been to the University of Exeter personally, but it does have a good reputation and I have consistently heard good things about it.

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. magic

magic Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2004
    London
    Exeter has a good reputation. One of the girls in the office went there and really enjoyed her time.
    I think the bigger question is whether it is recognised in the states/world ?

6. vaderinc

vaderinc Formula Junior

Jul 6, 2010
    Dubai, UAE
    Full Name:
    Mario
    Not sure about the states but it's recognized in most other places.

7. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    The UCAS application allows for additional schools and courses, so we've tentatively added the Universities of Bristol, Southampton and Durham.

Any insights on those would also be appreciated if it's not too burdensome.

8. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Allan.
    Are you sure he wants to do English ?
    One of my son's went to the best Private school in Cambridge from 8 years old to 18 which was very regimented, he was lucky enough to be excepted in all 5 universities he applied for. He choose Leeds!! [ mainly for the night life ]. He is now in his last year and for most of the time has been bored stiff. They have so few lectures on the English course and most of the time they are left to themselves and just told to read this and that. Had we known, how little input there was from the university on this course, we would have tried to talk him into doing something else. He has found it very hard to get motivated but has finally got around to realizing that his course finishes in 4-5 months so he has to knuckle down.

Cambridge and Oxford are the premier university's, Durham and Warwick are very good. Re Exeter, you have to make sure you are on the main campus, as I believe they have campus outside of the main one and lectures are delivered via a camera link for the English course, that was the case 3 years ago, when we looked at it with him.

9. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thank you, Grant. My understanding was that when you read in a particular course, there is a close relationship between student and tutor. However, that may be far more true at Oxford and Cambridge than at the other Russell Group Universities; is that what you are referring to? Is that not the case at Durham, et. al. or was it particular to Leeds? (In the US, at larger universities, there will be large lectures by senior faculty, but then students attend "sections" for discussion, reading assignments and papers, overseen by graduate students earning their PhDs in those courses. At independent colleges, the classes are smaller and the interaction with the professors is immediate and continuous). Knowing my son, I think he might go through the same difficulties as your boy.

At Exeter, he was considering either a course in History or English and History. The first would be at the main campus, but I recall that the combined course indicated Cornwall, which struck me as odd.

10. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Hi Allan.
    This was our experience, I an sure other universities are different, but it something to bear in mind.
    Oxford and Cambridge have shorter term times and have more crammed into a shorter time, I am sure they operate differently. It would be good to find out the amount of lectures and seminars that the course you are interested have. Other type of courses have alot more work involved, and my other son seems to have worked none stop all of the time. I don't want to seem negative, but this is an honest appraisal of how we have found the English course to be for our son.

If you think that you son might get into Cambridge or Oxford, I would hold out for one of these, just a mention of their name, seems to open doors, and as my wife says "sets you up for life".
    Grant

11. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Bristol have always had a good all round reputation, not least because I graduated from Bristol. I did not study English literature or history so cannot help. Students I knew always used to justify that they chose Bristol over Oxford and Cambridge because we had the reputation of being Oxbridge rejects! Nice city and not far from Bath or London.

12. RS man

RS man Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2008
    Scotland
    Agree with the comment, if your son can get to Oxbridge, GO as not many get the opportunity to do so.

13. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    My experiences doing my biomedical sciences degree at Durham University were excellent. Academically, it was very tough - 94 started the degree, only 63 achieved at least a "pass" (i.e. a third class or better), only 15 got an upper second or higher and so graduated with honours. The lectures were very interactive, the laboratory sessions well-run, extra-curricular study was supported and encouraged (I won a place on a Wellcome Trust Summer Research Scholarship programme), and the lecturers (who were active researchers or biomedical business owners) made a lot of time for those students who demonstrated commitment to doing well - however, they didn't chase the lazy. Most of my time was spent in Queens Campus in Stockton-on-Tees, and while the town there is not much to see, the campus is very new with excellent facilities. While I have an obvious bias, I think my Durham degree (with honours) is highly valued. I was able to go from my B.Sc. degree studies directly to Ph.D. study without needing to do a masters in between. I highly recommend Durham University.

My best man from my wedding (and I was his best man at his) did his medical degree at Leeds and he found it a positive experience. Medical courses are typically packed though, and is more similar to your description of a US set-up than it is my time in Durham. Whenever I visited him, the night life in Leeds was, as described, very vibrant and I could see that being a distraction for some personality types.

All the best,
    Andrew.

14. 2000 456M

2000 456M F1 World Champ

Sep 29, 2007
    Portland, OR
    Full Name:
    Allan
    Thank you all. My son has been kind of a "late bloomer" and his SAT scores are far better than his grade point average would indicate. Because an English university degree is three years, he is considering going to an American school or taking a gap year and then applying to Oxford. And I realize that an OxBridge degree gives the graduate the same kind of lifelong intellectual imprimatur that Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT and CalTech do all over the world.

We hadn't begun to consider other UK schools until they contacted him which is why we are so late in the process (international students may apply to many universities after the 15 January deadline for UK/EU applicants, some as late as June, but the number of available places is, of course, reduced).

15. Rene

Rene Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 5, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    René
    Sussex University has a well-thought of English liteature faculty. Your son might just want to look into this.