Ooooops | FerrariChat

Ooooops

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Nickt, Jan 25, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I went for a drive today in my Dino, the roads were a little wet, but it was empty so I probably went a little too fast, well, actually very much too fast. Nice straight road not a car in sight. Now my car is loud, it failed the Goodwood noise test, so there really is very little excuse not to hear it, especially at nearly full chat.
    Then out of the blue a complete family of ramblers stepped out of a field and straight across the road in front of me. I hit the brakes and the wheels locked and the car skidded in the wet, the family just kept on crossing the road whilst staring at my car coming towards them, they didn't run or move quickly but just rambled across the road. Luckily the gran and grandad decided they couldn't make it right across and stopped on the centre line as I passed them. the mum and dad and 3 kids just stood on the kerb and watched me pass them. I poo'd my self, but they didn't bat an eyelid!
    I got home, and there was a knocking coming from the rear bank of cylinders, I thought I had knackered something bad. I took off the rear cam cover and a stone had spring into it, luckily the stone hadn't got between the belt and the cam sprocket.

I never saw any of that coming :(

2. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Eeek, I'd WALK to the shops and buy a lottery ticket for tonight. Sounds like luck is on your side today.

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Some people are so wrapped up in conversation they don't take any precautions before crossing a road, seen it plenty of times. Funniest one was a wide open road with a 70 limit, and as I come around a roundabout and was accelerated back when a cop steps across to the centre of the road, in the lane I was travelling, and points his speed gun at me. He's less than 100 yards from me. I'm doing seventy, it takes a second to realise what he's doing, so I thought, what the hell, idiot. I stayed at the limit, and watched him throw himself out the way onto the road as I sailed thru, gently decelerating so I wouldn't skid my lovely car.

I waited for this swearing, screaming fool to arrive at my car as I'd stopped a ways down the road, screaming he was going to stick me on a charge, do me for speeding etc etc, then calmly explaining I would be reporting him for what HE had done, and to check his speed gun, which showed a speed of 62 on it, well within the limit, and that if I had slammed the brakes on, I may well have killed him, so my actions had actually prevented an accident he almost caused.

Red faced, he had to let me go, but for the next two weeks I was stopped by every cop car on just about every trip I made, I had to make a formal complaint to have it stop (one of my clients was a chief constable)

Was funny though, seeing a grown man hit boiling point and be able to do nothing at all about it. Doubt he stood in the middle of a road to do speed checks ever again!

4. Nickt

Nickt Formula 3

Feb 24, 2006
    Iver, Buckinghamshir
    Full Name:
    Nick T
    I'm used to idiots like that! While I was living in Bahrain seeing cyclists cycling the wrong way down the freeway was very common, especially at night with no lights on, they too seemed like pheasants caught in the car head lights. But this family were suicidal! And they looked so impassive.
    I guess the ramblers association will quote the right to ramble and I expect there is an ancient footpath that crosses that exact spot on the road. 1/4 mile further up is a set of lights and a pedestrian crossing with kerbs and all manner of safety features :)
    I have to admit I would shy away from aiming my car at a plod :D

but on a positive note, this is the first time I have put my Superformance big brake kit to the test, and they work.. yeah!

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    For legal reasons - I didn't point at plod, I maintained my vector it was he that positioned himself, I merely decided the best way to stop would be to reduce speed without allowing the car to stray under braking from the one line, thereby ensuring he had the opportunity to remove himself from a collision efficiently!