3 days in London; 3 days in Liverpool | FerrariChat

3 days in London; 3 days in Liverpool

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by SCKOMS, Mar 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Greetings. I will be spending 3 days in London with my son and nephew (they are in their early 20s). We have never visited the UK before.

We will be there the last week of March. We arrive in London on Tuesday morning and plan to stay until Thursday afternoon. We will then head up to Liverpool to watch LFC take on Tottenham at Anfield Stadium on Sunday evening.

I need some recommendations and advice:

In what area of London should we stay? I need some suggestions for a hotel, something nice, on the higher end, but not over the top.

What are the not to be missed attractions for us Yanks in London and in Liverpool?

What would make for a good day trip from either locale?

I was thinking of renting a car to get around, to drive to Liverpool and then to Manchester from where we will be departing to return to Chicago. Good idea , or not needed?

Any advise would be appreciated. I am cross-posting in the Silver section.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Glad to hear you got tickets

Lots of threads about London (try advanced search London title section UK) - no car needed there but it might make getting up north easier - in three days there's not a lot of opportunity to day-trip elsewhere - having said that by car the Brooklands Museum is just outside London and the Donington collection sort of half way to Liverpool

3. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    This is a lovely hotel which is opposite "the Ritz" ....

https://www.themayfairhotel.co.uk/

With regards from getting from London to Liverpool I would recommend Virgin Trains (owned by Richard Branson) but book in advance if you can as the fares will be a lot lower.

Buy Cheap Train Tickets Online & Find Train Times | Virgin Trains

For travelling round London use the tube and buy an oyster card that you can use on buses, tube and the some river taxies (nice way to get down to Greenwich if you want to visit the observatory/cutty sark etc)

4. Derek at FoD

Derek at FoD Formula 3
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2004
    Denver
    Full Name:
    Derek Fennig
    I've never been to London but I visited Liverpool about a year ago and had an absolute blast!

I flew into Manchester and rented a car, stayed the night in Manchester and drove to Liverpool the next morning. I stayed at the Hilton Liverpool and highly recommend it as it's surrounded by many things to do...Albert Dock is right across the street and offers several museums to check out plus the night life is pretty good from what I could tell. Hilton Liverpool Hotel - Hotels in Liverpool - Wedding Venues

I went to Goodison Park to see Everton play QPR and took a cab based on the Concierge's recommendation...I decided to walk back to the hotel after the match and that was a decision I'm glad I made, it wasn't a glamorous area to see but it was fun nonetheless. Annfield is very close to Goodison so I'd recommend you leave your rental at the hotel.

5. ferrari355gtb

ferrari355gtb Formula 3

Nov 3, 2003
    UK
    Full Name:
    R
    I assume you have tickets for the game already ?

Lots of Beatles stuff to do, the Cavern etc even an themed hotel.
    Ferry across the Mersey.
    LFC museum.

6. any_1

any_1 Formula 3

Sep 6, 2006
    Sweden
    What is the best way to go to Liverpool. Thinking of going via London. We are not too keen to rent a car. Can you go by train. From Paddington?

7. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Go from London Euston to Liverpool (booking in advance is cheaper and travelling "off peak" which IIRC is after 10am is a lot cheaper too. Just make sure you get one without changes so there is no problem if the one from Euston gets delayed etc ie. get one at Euston and get off at Liverpool.

Virgin Trains: Where do you want to be?

8. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Sorry for the delayed response. I am in London now and leaving for Loverpool later today.
    If you are just going to Liverpool fly into Manchester if you can. Otherwise do the train. I rented a car but driving here is really difficult and confusing if you haven't driven on the left before. In retrospect I would have not rented a car at all.

9. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Oh dear! Never mind. If you are driving down/up today the earlier you leave in the day the better as traffic jams can be horrendous on Friday afternoons :-( I used to do this journey every Friday and sometimes it would take up to 7 hours :-(

Good bit of advice....use the M6 Toll road as it bypasses the busiest and worst part of the M6 and it also has the nicest service station.

Just as an aside if your going down the M1 towards the M6 keep an eye out for signs to the famous Silverstone :)

10. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks Jeff. We were hoping to make it to the British Museum and take off for Liverpool around 1:00 thinking it may take 4 hours.....time to reconsider.

11. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Its your holiday ! How many more chances are you likely to have to get to the BM - if you've nothing planned for later then it doesn't really matter how long it takes to get to Liverpool other than irritation - the main delay will come round Birmingham I suspect at pretty much any stage of the day

12. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    I wouldn't miss out on British Museum as it is stunning. Last time I went they had Tutankhamun's death mask etc. Always something going on :)

Take a chance and grin and bear it! LOL (but do take Toll road - its about £5 and well worth the time saving).

A short distance from BM is the LOndon TRansport Museum with old tube trains etc

BTW Liverpool has a good museum too.

13. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Great point...we're just sooo tired. We did a day trip to Paris yesterday, and there was some trouble at the UK side of the tunnel coming back. We sat on the tracks on the French side for more that 3 hours. At one point they told us we would have to go back to Paris. We finally made it to our flat around 2 a.m.
    We'll just take it slowly and go with the flow!

14. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Sounds like you picked a bad day for the Eurostar.

BBC News - Eurostar trains halted by lightning strike in Kent

15. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Well.....finally made it to Liverpool. We left at 1:30 p.m. and it took 5 1/2 hours. I thought getting out of London would be the worst part, and then it would be smooth sailing, but the highway seemed to randomly slow to a crawl for no apparent reason....and then it started to rain. The GPS directed through the secondary roads due to the traffic on the M6, which may have ended up taking longer, but I have to say it was an enjoyable drive through the English countryside. I just kept wishing I was in my 430! We did drive alongside a gorgeous red 458 for a spell!

Time to settle in for the evening.....tomorrow we are touring Anfield, then hitting the Beatles museum.

The weather for the game on Sunday looks perfect...62F!!!

16. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    That's quite good going for a Friday afternoon. Glad your there safe anyway.

Enjoy your day tomorrow :)

17. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Thanks! Also thanks for the advice and encouragement. We are having an unforgettable adventure that my son and I will always cherish!

18. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Go on Spurs :)

19. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    Boo!!

20. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Hope you enjoyed the football yesterday! Top of the league!

21. SCKOMS

SCKOMS F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 21, 2011
    Lake County, IL
    Full Name:
    Spiro
    We had a great time. Our seats were essentially on the mid filed line about a third of the way up. The weather was beautiful and the Reds kicked butt!!

Thanks to everyone for all the helpful comments and suggestions.