Last Minute Scotland Questions | FerrariChat

Last Minute Scotland Questions

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Scotty, Apr 29, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    All--thank you for your good advice so far. Arrive EDI this coming Sunday, and in country for 10 days. Most bookings (hotels, car hire, etc.) taken care of, sat nav with UK coverage purchased, etc. A few questions.

We will be traveling through the Highlands and to Skye. We'll need to buy a SIM card for my unlocked iPhone--any particular companies I should seek out?

We have to trek from Skye to Troon in a day. Is there anything particular we should see on the way, or a suggested route? My grandfather was born in Troon--hence the visit there.

Thanks again.

Scott

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm with VirginMobile and it's got excellent signal in the cities. When traveling out into the countryside, it has been to do some driving and haven't been checking my phone during those times - so can't really offer any anecdotal evidence on that front. Sorry. :eek:

As Jimmie says, coverage maps are your best bet here. I'd be surprised if there is a huge difference between them nowadays. When I switched to VirginMobile from Vodafone in ~2008, I think I had marginally better signal in the suburbs, but it could have been my imagination.

All the best,
    Andrew.

4. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    Jimmie--thank you. That website helped me winnow down the choices. Andrew--I figure almost anything will work well enough in the cities, and almost nothing will work in the hinterlands. It is the shoulder area between those where there seems to be some difference. But I think Vodaphone, Orange, and Virgin look like the best choices. Thanks

5. Scotty

Scotty F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Oregon
    Full Name:
    Scotty Ferrari
    One other point. We are bringing a small camping stove (MSR Wisperlite) that uses compressed gas fuel canisters. They are supposed to be readily available, but my bride is freaking out that they will be hard to find (I am on a very restrictive diet and she is worried about me blowing away from lack of food). Are these small canisters easy to find? Plus, it would be a shame to be out on a walk and not be able to fix a proper cup of tea. Any good sources in downtown Edinburgh? Thx.

6. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Can't help you much with detail as I'm based in the North of England, but let me take this opportunity to welcome you both to the UK, Scotland is a very beautiful country.

Enjoy !

7. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #7 greyboxer, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
    You could double check with MSR or alternatively look via Google UK for stove suppliers here - if there's supply there's cannisters - Camping Gaz (Blue) is quite easy to find - fairly sure there's outdoor stores on Edinburgh's main street - you might find it altogether easier to get a cheap unit here & throw it away

8. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    On a previous project we worked all over Scotland and mobile coverage was patchy, but it is improving year on year. In your case, you can probably back track a couple of miles and you will get a signal.

If you want more comfort and you are really worried about being out of touch, hit a couple of high street mobile phone shops, when you land in the UK and buy "pay as you go" SIM cards for say the 3 biggest networks (as Andrew's suggestion Vodaphone, Orange, and Virgin) and that should more than cover it. Then, if you are stuck and unable to travel to a place with better signal, it is a case of trying each SIM card in turn...

If you are going somewhere really remote, say deep into the highlands, a Satellite phone is an effective, but very expensive option! Frankly that is probably overkill.

As for route, there are only a few roads to chose from and they are all pretty good. From Troon it is up to Glasgow then north by Loch Lomond on the A82. NOTE: there is construction work ongoing on the A82 at 'Pulpit Rock' and again at 'Crianlarich' and there will be some queuing and delays... also there are some periods of road closure (typically at night). CHECK: Traffic Scotland > Home

Therefore the other choice is the M80 towards Striling, then back to west on A84 through Callender. Although this is longer, it is a better road and on balance only takes 20mins more...

Both routes join back together at Crianlarich and continue to A82 Fort William, Fort Augustus (the Great Glen) and then west to Skye (A830).

Frankly all the routes are beautiful and all are a quick as the traffic conditions allow! Give yourself time and enjoy the journey.

Best wishes,

David