Battery Conditioner not working | FerrariChat

Battery Conditioner not working

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by CeperoAM, May 4, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CeperoAM

CeperoAM Rookie

May 4, 2014
    Hi everyone - So, I purchased a Ferrari California when I was living in the US but have moved to London and brought the California (left hand drive) with me. Up until 2 days ago, I never opened my battery conditioner. But since my car battery was dead I opened it up and read the instructions. Unfortunately, the battery conditioner has a US plug and despite using an adaptor, it doesn't seem to charge the battery. I didn't think using an adaptor would be a problem b/c the Ferrari battery conditioner is a 12V trickle charge so assumed it would work.

Does anyone know if I simply need to buy one with a British plug? Also, do I really need to shut the boot with the charger cable hanging through as suggested in the instructions? Surely this isn't absolutely needed?? Battery is so low that I'm reluctant to close the boot completely in case there isn't enough charge to open it back up.

Thanks for your help.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The conditioner will not charge a dead battery - so if the car won't start you'll need something else - a new battery or or proper charge or whatever - then try your conditioner again and if it lights up thats great (i think its dual voltage)

If you don't have AAA or local equal call & sign up tomorrow (holiday in UK but freephone goes direct to Italy) with Ferrari Con Te / With You and they might help get you started - or warranty

3. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    He's right, the charger will work only to top up a battery, not sort a dead one. The us plug on yours is fine through an adaptor, the issue you have is the battery is too low to charge. It's either a recovery service, or pop into a Halfords, buy a battery boost kit, and very carefully follow the instructions first to charge and prepare the booster, and then to start the car. Once you are up and running, a £40 boost kit will be extremely useful in the future, and normally come with built in torches, air pumps etc too

4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Is it because we are 240 volt mains and the US is 110V mains supply. Does the conditioner allow for both voltages?