London sightseeing suggestions? | FerrariChat

London sightseeing suggestions?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by dstacy, Jun 23, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    My wife and I will be spending 3 days in London. We'll be staying at the Churchill Hyatt. She has never been to London. We'll take in a show or 2 in the theater distric. She wants to see the palace of course but I was hoping to have a discussion with all of you about your ideas for things we must see or do.
    Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

2. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    If I have foreign friends visiting for the first time I usually take them on a walk around the area surrounding the palace as a starter, as it covers a lot of the iconic London sights.

Starting from Buckingham Palace, walk up The Mall to Trafalgar Square (Nelson's Column). Then walk down Whitehall past Downing Street (Prime Minister's house) to Parliament Square for the Houses of Parliament and Big Ben. If you want to, you can easily walk across Westminster Bridge from here, to the Southbank, and ride the London Eye (it's worth booking in advance if you want to do this).

From here, if you want to keep walking, follow the river heading east, there's a path that runs along the Southbank taking you to Tower Bridge and, if you cross the bridge, the Tower of London. If you don't want to keep walking from the London Eye, you can jump on a boat at the bottom of the Eye which will take you up to the Tower. If you take a 'City Cruises' boat (they're white with red signwriting) you get a little commentary explaining what you're motoring past which can be quite interesting.

Once you've had a look at the Tower you could carry on up to Greenwich by boat to have a look at the GMT line at the observatory and a walk around the park up there if it's a nice day.

There's a few ideas for you to look at on a map anyway. Feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like any specific information.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #3 greyboxer, Jun 23, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2014
    Tom's foot tour can more-or-less also be done in an open top bus (eg original london sightseeing tour) which is both quicker and gives a feel for places you might want to go back to

Its possible some of the many other UK threads with London in the title will have ideas we forget too

Lots of places have pre-theatre menus if you sit down between 6&7

4. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Totally agree.

The cheesy tourist buses are always a great idea if you're in a new city. You see everything in one swoop and can more easily decide what you'd like to visit for a closer look and what not to bother with at all. Swallow your pride and join the plaid-trousered on the top deck :D

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I agree with this. You can also hop off and on all day if there's something you really want to see.

It's a great way to get a sense of the layout of the city.

Matt

6. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
    To each their own but I much prefer walking about at my own pace!

7. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    If the palace is a big deal then time your visit right and you can go in it (and see a view from the other side of the Royal Balcony!). At the end of the tour you exit through the gardens where you can have Tea and scones etc which I'm sure your wife would love.

http://www.royalcollection.org.uk/visit/the-state-rooms-buckingham-palace?_$ja=cgid:3943099868|tsid:5255|cid:97683788|lid:269797949|nw:g|crid:52187300708|rnd:4590374316759021467|dvc:c|adp:1t1&gclid=CMbEhM6mkL8CFQqDfgod4gIAmA

+1 on tour tour bus or if your a bit more adventerous buy an "oyster" card and use the tube (London's underground train).

Another alternative is to use one the river ferrys to travel down the thames to the Tower of London where the crown jewels are kept.

It would use up a day but you could also catch the eurostar to paris for a day trip???!!!

Saint Pancras, Kings Cross, Fitzrovia, Euston and Bloomsbury | Eurostar

TBH 3 days is nowwwhere long enough to see London - I'd extend your trip if you can

8. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  9. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thank you all so much! Please continue with your ideas; I'm showing her and making a list.

I do know 3 days isn't enough but that's all we'll have. Actually London is our final stop on a Cannes, Monte Carlo, Paris, and London trip.

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Musee de Cluny
    Musee Jacquemart Andre

Not on most first choice lists but very worthwhile

11. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
  12. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Be sure to check out Covent Garden for some alfresco dining. There is a good pizza place there with Parma ham and rocket. Delicious.

Also, whenever I go to London, make a stop in to Harrods for some food. I know its a very cliche place, but its a great experience and they have great snacks. Its right on Knightsbridge so you'll also see a really nice area of London, too.

For car spotting, you absolutely must check out Park Lane by the Dorchester Hotel. Its right by Hyde Park.

13. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Walking St Paul's to Millenium Bridge to Tate Modern & Shakespeare's recreated Globe Theatre, then walk along the South Bank to the National Theatre, Royal Festival Hall & evening across Waterloo Bridge which is unremarkable but has the best views of the Thames & London. From there, you can walk up Embankment to Trafalgar Square & the National Gallery. Or the other way ;) Lots of places to stop for a break / coffee / meal along the way. Use English - Journey Planner - Transport for London if you need to catch a bus. Always much nicer than the tube.

14. tomw

tomw Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 25, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Tom
  15. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    This is all VERY helpful. Thank you!

16. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Just thought, also near buckingham palace/downing street is the churchill warrooms which is the bunker system the war was fought from.

Churchill War Rooms | Imperial War Museums

On the same sort of theme is HMS Belfast moored along the thames which yiu can go around

HMS Belfast | Imperial War Museums

As mentioned on other thread - the 50 years of bond in motion which is near covent garden.

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Don't forget to try some English wines with your dinners !

18. bigmoose

bigmoose Karting

Oct 13, 2003
    London and Hong Kong
    Full Name:
    CT
  19. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    You could get to the top of the Shard

20. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    <chuckle> Yes we will have to try some.

21. dstacy

dstacy F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2006
    GMT -5 & GMT +1
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Can I wear my white vinyl shoes WITH my plaid pants?

22. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    After seeing Buckingham Palace and the Royal Mews (where they keep the royal coaches and a few special cars) walk over to the Cask & Glass, one of the smallest pubs in the world (holds about 20 people). 39 Palace St, closed Sundays.

23. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    I agree with prior posters with one modification, namely that I would take the "cheesy tourist" open-topped bus FIRST. In this manner, you can get at least a glimpse of all major sights and determine which you want to explore. I, too, am a big walker, and London is great for that. By all means go to the Tower of London and allow about 2 1/2 to 3 hrs for your visit. Whatever your interests are, that is quintessential London: 2 or 3 suits of Henry VIII's armor, the Crown Jewels, Walter Raleigh's desk & bed where he did so much of his writing, the axe 7 block used to dispatch with undesirables, Beefeaters, ravens, etc. And, a suit of armor for an elephant, which is mounted on a replica elephant! Just fabulous!
    Have fun, & keep your eyes open for exotic cars; you will see dozens.

24. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I agree with David...London is a hotbed for exotic cars. McLarens, Lambos, Aston Martins and Ferraris are all over the place. Best place for viewing is King's Road on a Saturday afternoon. Last time I was there, I spotted an F40 and an F50 cruising the road nose to tail.

25. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I agree with David...London is a hotbed for exotic cars. McLarens, Lambos, Aston Martins and Ferraris are all over the place. Best place for viewing is King's Road on a Saturday afternoon. Last time I was there, I spotted an F40 and an F50 cruising the road nose to tail.