Route suggestions - Maranello - London | FerrariChat

Route suggestions - Maranello - London

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by TizerDog, Jul 24, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    #1 TizerDog, Jul 24, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 24, 2014
    Hi guys

I am doing a factory collection of my F12 - my first F car :) in mid September and would appreciate anybody's suggestions for a memorable drive back to the UK.

My instinct tells me to avoid France (or do as little of it as possible) with all the noise about them confiscating cars. But I'd like it to be the drive of a lifetime...

I have a week to do it, so if you know those special spots to visit I'd love to hear about them. And hotel suggestions welcome too - I'm looking for appropriately secure parking too!

Cheers!

TD

2. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Hi guys - reposting this from the UK forum

I am doing a factory collection of my F12 - my first F car :) in mid September and would appreciate anybody's suggestions for a memorable drive back to the UK.

My instinct tells me to avoid France (or do as little of it as possible) with all the noise about them confiscating cars. But I'd like it to be the drive of a lifetime...

I have a week to do it, so if you know those special spots to visit I'd love to hear about them. And hotel suggestions welcome too - I'm looking for appropriately secure parking too!

Cheers!

TD

(Shout if you want to know what this F Rookie specified on his car!)

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Why should the French confiscate your new F12?
    Sounds strange to me. Unless you don't behave, of course.

Marcel Massini

4. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    You could go Italy, Austria and/or Switzerland, Germany, Denmark and then to the UK via the Esbjerg-Harwich ferry. Depending on the route, the Davos Stelvio pass could be part of it, which is a great drive.

Please fill us in on the specs of your car.

Cheers.

5. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Well, no disrespect Marcel if you are French, but there has been a huge amount of coverage in the motoring press over here about the potential for a two day ban if you are x amount over the speed limit to having your car confiscated at xxx over the limit. Can't recall what those numbers were, but I do remember thinking that they didn't seem that big!

Misbehaving? Yes, technically 110MPH is illegal and will get you a ban in either country, but I can't imagine many F Car drivers who have not done that speed at some time or another, safely on a clear stretch. The thought of losing my car too is considerably more frightening!

And fair enough - if that's the law of the land, its their choice. My choice would be to avoid the risk of losing my car for a moments exuberance if an alternate route was possible, given the point of this journey was the drive rather than visiting a specific country.

Cheers!

TD

6. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #6 Marcel Massini, Jul 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2014
    I am SWISS, not French. Live near Zurich (but 30 mins from German border).
    Oh, and the speed limits in Switzerland are even lower than in France.
    We have thousands (yes!) of radars, basically every 2 or 3 miles. Entire country.
    Don't even think about driving thru Switzerland, best is to just avoid it completely.
    And yes, in Switzerland they can easily confiscate the car if you drive 30 km/h over the limit.
    One Scandinavian was fined here in Switzerland with 800'000 Euros for excessive speeding, another guy, a Swiss with a Testarossa, with 400'000 Swiss Frrancs. Both cars confiscated. One can easily go to jail for up to two years. Zero tolerance.
    In Germany you will find highways without speed limits, that's where I drove my cars with up to 200 mph and zero problems.

Marcel Massini

7. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Now that sounds like the beginnings of a plan!

Davos Stelvio - check.

The Nordschleife is out, by the way! I did that on a similar road trip back from Stuttgart two years ago and have that out of my system. Did the Black Forest area on the same trip and would happily go back that way if there is no interesting alternative.

I do fancy a drive through Austria, still doable from Davos.

I could always spend more time in Italy first - in fact this is almost a given, as I wanted to do a couple of days shake-down around Maranello in case of niggles.

Any other must dos?

8. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Marcel, that's great advice - many thanks!

I have been to Switzerland many times, driving mainly to ski resorts in the west of the country and always take it easy.

As for Germany, I think there is just a more relaxed attitude to speed per se, whether on an unrestricted road or not. Any particular favourites areas?

TD

9. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    Well, I am French, not Swiss like Marcel.
    But it is basically the same advice: should you be not absolutely 100% sure to be able to behave and respect the speed limits, then avoid our country completely: the cops are not joking anymore here.

Rgds

10. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Which is a bloody shame, frankly, well at least for me - I love going to France and have driven the length and breadth of the country over the years. Not as a hooligan taking advantage of the system, just simply using roads in the same way I use them here in the UK, to get from A to B, occasionally briskly :)

Hey ho, time to buy a Discovery and hook up a caravan.

11. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    #11 YellowF50, Jul 25, 2014
    I read a similar story in the Sunday times a few weeks back.

Which was something about French police checking tunnel/ferry crossing lists looking for anything interesting that they would suspect of speeding away from Calais and lie ahead in waiting under bridges etc.

They are definitely getting more sneaky, or more targeting the motorists likely to speed with powerful cars rather than just sitting waiting for them.

Found a link to article,

http://www.driving.co.uk/news/british-holidaymakers-warned-as-france-cracks-down-on-speeders/

12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Nothing new for us in Switzerland, where police officers with their radar guns even sit in trash bins on walkways. Or drive around in unmarked private cars even using license plates from other countries (!), trying to fool the Swiss drivers. It's all about $$$$$, the more, the better. It has zero to do with safety concerns as we are all told. Cities and communities in Switzerland have fixed budget plans for fines. And some police officers even get a percentage of the fines! Talk about incentives. It's a real war and no fun at all.

Marcel Massini

13. DK308

DK308 F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2013
    Europe, way north.
    Full Name:
    AB
    #13 DK308, Jul 25, 2014
    Don't know exactly when you plan to pick up your car in September, but in terms of other must do's. You could kick the whole thing off by going to Monza and see the Italian F1 GP on September 7th.

While it's not a Ferrari thing and excuse the P word, the Porsche Museum in Stuttgart could be a fun little extra experience on the way back. It's a nice place with some interesting sportscar history on display.

Cheers.

Oh, just read your specs. Great spec. I personally think Rosso Fuoco and Fiorano are the best red colours for ANY of the newer Ferraris. Good choice. Also, not filling a GT up with carbon really suits the luxury feel of the F12. And thank you for not choosing black or dark grey wheels. I just don't get that. As I said in another thread. What's the point of nice wheels if you can't hardly see them? It's like taking a beautiful girl with perfect legs and ask her to put on black pantyhose and a long dress. It just doesn't fly.
    Your spec is one of the best I've seen in a VERY long time. There's some really nice little touches. I especially like the the exterior coloured sill panels, very nice touch. There's only one thing I'd have done differently, which would have been Beige or Nero seat belts. But hey, that's me.

14. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I rather suggest a visit to the fabulous Schlumpf Collection, National Auto Museum in Mulhouse (north east corner), France (close to Basel, Switzerland). Apart from approx. 500 other sensational cars they even have a dozen classic Ferraris there. It is absolutely mind-blowing and a must-see!

Marcel Massini

15. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    I've been there 3 times Marcel. Last time Sept 2013.

Mind blowing - yes - pretty much too much to see and take in! But definitely worth a visit.

The railway museum close by is also and great visit.

16. jagmanv12

jagmanv12 Karting

Aug 25, 2010
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I drove Monaco, Maranello, Brescia, Germany in May and was let of the 90 Euro fine by the gendarmes :) .

As well as the Porsche museum there's BMW in Munich and Mercedes in Stuttgart. Also well worth a visit with a few Ferraris is the Sinsheim museum. Its sister museum at Speyer has the space shuttle.

17. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    #17 TizerDog, Jul 28, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
    Collected a 991 a couple of years ago and did the P factory then. Very worthwhile, but not for this trip. Oh, an I will be too late for the GP.

Thanks for the spec comments - I'm always a tad apprehensive during the wait for the real thing to show! Agree re wheels.

The silver belts are to echo the stitching - bit of a risk I agree. The sills were my wife's preference - I get that the black links the spoiler and diffuser but we like the Fuoco so much it seemed rude not to!

Also avoided alcantara on anything horizontal that could collect dust or where it would be touched frequently, e.g. the door panel inserts where I chose contrasting black leather. Also dealer mentioned that alcantara carpets felt hard under foot and that the carpets actually helped reduce road noise - not so with alcantara apparently.

18. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    Schlumpf Collection - check. Its on the list!

19. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    With Shlumpf now locked in, together with the collection itself, I think that's probably all the car appreciation my wife will stand!

Now looking for great roads / sights and hotels if anyone has any particular favourites.

20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Hotel Des Trois Rois in Basel, Switzerland, just 20 min from Schlumpf Coll.
    And from there it is just about 10 mins to the next German Autobahn with almost no speed limits (but a few radars!).

Marcel Massini

21. jagmanv12

jagmanv12 Karting

Aug 25, 2010
    Surrey UK
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Depending on your route there's Neuschwanstein Castle near Munich. Couple of nice hotels in the village nearby.

22. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #22 DKHudson, Aug 2, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017

The rules are the rules... And don't forget you need a road tax sticker for Austria and Switzerland, which must be bought at the border and displayed correctly.

So beware everybody now has speed cameras.
    Italy: they resemble dust bins, some painted orange, other less conspicuous, plus fairly frequent road side checks.
    Austria: pavement level galvanised boxes... backed up by police speed traps...
    Germany: gantry mounted grey boxes over motorways.

And as has been mentioned France and Switzerland also have an enthusiasm for speed enforcement.

MEANWHILE ideas for a route from Marranello to the UK.

San Bernardino [13] - (make sure you use the old road) - sweeping, spectacular and fun.

Splugen Pass (best run north west to south east) - very tight, incredible run through a rock gorge.

double back slightly for Stelvio Pass - spectacular, but rough surfacing and tight in places. Can suffer from traffic, but it is "THE STELVIO" and difficult not to try!

OR Davos - FuelaPass [28] - open, flowing, good fun

Pointless dog leg... just for fun: Kaunertal, Austria [L17]. It is a road to the end of the valley, but a good run, then a little cable car up to a narrow rock edge, the Austria / Italy border at around 12,000ft. I think this one has a toll charge.

If tracking further east
    Grossglockner [107] (toll road) - brilliant, open, flowing, high, good scenery

I had been planning a trip through the alps this year and was disappointed by the lack of response, from many hotels, when asked about secure parking: However:

Davos - Hotel Gischa does have under-ground parking (for a fee)

Koblenz (Germany):
    1) Hotel Mecure - private parking is available, but not certain that it is secure
    Booking.com: Mercure Hotel Koblenz, Koblenz, Germany - 398 Guest reviews. Book your hotel now!
    3Abo;sid=76893db194a3dfb82ccaac1623f2a4a4;dcid=4;checkin=2014-09-02;checkout=2014-09-03;ucfs=1;highlighted_facilites=2;srfid=8162bdb7d05a74301f85fd252ea15ed2cd4937d2X3

I've had one or two more responses, but these are presently on my work e-mail account, I'll try to remember to look them up...

I hope this helps.

David
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. farookm

farookm Rookie

May 21, 2014
    Hi being keeping an eye on this thread. As am probably doing the same route at the end of August.

David those suggestions sound great - thanks. I will report back.

24. TizerDog

TizerDog Rookie

Feb 2, 2014
    That looks like a very special place, Mark. I believe I will score top marks if we go there!

Thanks David, that's all really good stuff. It does look like there will be some serious dog-legging to be done!

If you have more on the secure parking hotels that would be great.

Have a fantastic time and be sure to post pack any good/bad stuff. It turns out I will not be doing the trip until end Sep / beginning October. Think I will have issues with those passes...?

TD

25. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Near there is the White Church (Wieskirche) & the other castle Schloss Linderhof - both worth seeing if in the area (and less queuing than Neuschwanstein) - the area around Fussen is a nice place to visit generally