New Owner - a short story | FerrariChat

New Owner - a short story

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by fluffekins, Aug 27, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fluffekins

fluffekins Karting

Jul 21, 2014
    UK Herts/Essex/Londo
    Full Name:
    Russell
    First things first, hello, I'm a new owner based on the Essex, Herts Border.

Like most on here, I've been in to cars and Ferrari in particular since I was a kid. I've had some decent/interesting cars over the years, a TVR400 SE, Porsche 911, a couple of M3's, Fiat X1/9, Caterham etc.

Anyway, recently a friend of mine since I started work at 16 (whose Dad had always had a Ferrari 308 fibreglass followed by F355) contact me to say that sadly his Dad was getting too old for the F355 and would I be interested.

I wasn't looking for a car at this time, but having seen it, and knowing how well it had been looked after, it took a couple of seconds to decide to buy it (subject to a belts service).

Finally collected it last week, the drive home was more surreal than anything, I drove slower than ever before, and just couldn't actually believe it was mine.

Parked it in the garage, came out the next morning and yep, you guessed it, wouldn't start.

RAC couldn't help, so I called the garage that had carried out the service, who were extremely helpful and immediately sent a truck for the car.

After a couple of days the very helpful guys at the garage called to advise it was a simple fuel relay which would cost about £50 inc fitting and would be ready after the bank holiday weekend.

Called the garage yesterday to arrange to collect to be informed that while this problem is fixed, and the car runs perfectly, the ABS light is on, they think its a sensor on one wheel. The car stays at the garage for further testing, should be back with me on Friday.

Knowing the car has hardly moved in the past 3 years I expected a few things to go wrong, I'd just hoped I'd have it for more than 6 hours before those things started.

On the plus side, I get to pick it up again, and am excited about it.

Will post some pictures when the happy day arrives.

All the best,

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Congratulations on the 355. The prettiest of the modern Fcars IMHO. This forum is a great resource for sorting out those little foibles. Check out the 355 section.

Enjoy the drive and may all your motoring troubles be simply relays :)

3. fluffekins

fluffekins Karting

Jul 21, 2014
    UK Herts/Essex/Londo
    Full Name:
    Russell
    Thanks Simon.

Update - Collected the car last night from Hoyle-Fox in Maldon. Work completed, all minor stuff.

Would like to say the guys at Hoyle Fox were fantastic, gave me a tour of the workshop, and all of the fantastic cars they had. The 250 TR recreation and the 330 GTC were particularly special.

4. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Welcome to the club -£££££££

5. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Congratulations, Russell! :D

All the best,
    Andrew.

6. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
  7. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Nice mate, run it gently and thoughtfully for a few runs just to make sure the legacy of the time off the road is shaken off and it will be a fantastic car. One of the prettiest ferraris ever

8. SC42

SC42 Rookie

Aug 11, 2014
    who cares if it brakes down. You now own a ferrari!!! Get down to the pub and tell all the burds you own a ferrari!!!

9. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Yeah that'll work, especially if you don't like women :D

10. RobinD

RobinD Karting

Aug 17, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Full Name:
    Robin Duxbury
    Enjoy the new car, bonus is you're also close to the 2 largest Ferrari part suppliers in the UK!!