Year of manufacture declaration (UK registration) | FerrariChat

Year of manufacture declaration (UK registration)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by purplepowermonster, Dec 26, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. purplepowermonster

Nov 9, 2014
    Hi experts.

Having imported a 348 from South Africa I now need to get it registered in the UK and have to get a proof of manufacturing year declaration for our friends at DVLA. The local Ferrari dealer could do it but I think they are taking advantage and charging a fortune so wondered if anyone knows of a notified body that could issue a declaration for a sensible price?

Hope you can help, any suggestions gratefully received.

Paul.

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    As you say FNE charge good money for certificate of conformity - but what about the South African registration document - doesn't that show a year ?

I'm sure the criteria are easier for cars over ten years old and thats all they really want know - can you not take some cross-referenced chassis numbers near yours from adverts or whatever

You could try asking a dealer to do a MODIS printout - your car may or may not be on it - if so it will have first registration data wherever

3. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
  4. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    While I can't help directly, some on here can figure out the year from the VIN. If you're willing to post it then someone might be able to tell you.

All the best,
    Andrew.

5. purplepowermonster

Nov 9, 2014
    Thanks for all of your help, I've dropped a line over to the owners club, I'll keep you posted.

Paul

6. 348Jeff

348Jeff Formula 3

Oct 25, 2011
    UK
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Not quite what your after but if you fetch up the front trunk carpet near the bulkhead and check on the evaporator unit there's a quality control/install sticker that will pretty much tell you down to the day when your car was made :)

Pic of mine

348 DIY "Restoration" - Page 147

7. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Hi, Paul... Congratulations on your 348! Can you tell me the serial number? Once I know the serial number, I can give you a fairly accurate time as to when it was built.

8. purplepowermonster

Nov 9, 2014
    Many thanks, I have sent a PM with the VIN number.

Paul.

9. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Hi there - deviating slightly from the VIN issue, I'm assuming that if the 348 was a direct export new to South Africa, you will find spec differences from UK models. I can share my experiences.
    There's obvious stuff like the KM speedo and odometer change-out to miles (not a trivial job), but also note the "warm weather pack" used for SA models which has higher levels of dust-proofing, insulation, and different air filters.
    I have brought a number of cars up which needed some mainly admin work in UK before it had documentation and was OK for a V5 and MOT. You'll also need police clearance to prove VINs/engine nos match and the car has permits for export, no finance etc. One thing i found essential was to Waxoyl (or equivalent) the car before using it on UK roads otherwise surface set in quickly around the wheel arches -stone chips are common in RSA . Bear in mind that South African authorities are nothing like as stringent as those in the UK.
    Having said all that - good luck and congratulations!!

10. purplepowermonster

Nov 9, 2014
    Thank you so much for taking the time to write, I will keep your comments in mind.