Why Do People Hate Manchester United? | FerrariChat

Why Do People Hate Manchester United?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by PhilNotHill, Feb 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    #1 PhilNotHill, Feb 28, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2015
    New soccer aka football fan and have been watching the Premier League on US cable TV. Really enjoying it.

Our minister is from London...he and his wife met at Oxford. He loves my 458. But he hates Man U. Quite the gardener he will not allow any red flowers as it reminds him of Man U. By the way he was a soccer aka football coach and his son is the star of our local high school football. One of the best players in Colorado.

Googled and found a site: a Thousand Reasons to Hate ManU. Seems like he particularly hates Rooney the team captain. He always hustles and has a great sense of the pitch and has an uncanny ability to place himself in an advantageous position. BTW he scored two goals today. Would think any club would love to have him. I have only seen the club this season so is there some dire history that I should know about?

I suspect the problem may be similar to the New York Yankees who outspend every other baseball team, plus they have won the World Series more than any other team. Right?

My favorite club is Man City. Auguero (sp?) is my favorite player. I was a striker (left wing) when I played in college 50 years ago. Of course we were pathetic compared to Premier League players.

best

2. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    Man it's dominated the nineties and naughties, and the big joke is that everyone in Manchester supports man city, not utd, and that all Man U fans are all over the world but not at home.

I'm a Liverpool fan, and they continue to be fierce rivals, especially now utd are on the way down the pecking order, and Liverpool recovering back finally towards the top again (once we buy a new defence and another striker we are set)

3. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    The same reason everyone started hating Ferrari when they dominated F1 during the Schumacher/Brawn era. Success creates jealousy and as with Ferrari a certain perception that during the Ferguson era they were favoured by the governing body and officials (in both cases there is probably some truth in it too).

4. apolloluca

apolloluca Karting

Sep 23, 2009
    #4 apolloluca, Mar 6, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
    As a Mancuniun myself I know it's just not true that all of Manchester is blue. City's stadium holds 45k and is rarely full, even during Champions League games. They even offer tickets 2 for 1.The only time the stadium is full is when Take That have a concert there.

5. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Don't know what's worse.

6. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Rode on the ski lift today with a couple from Manchester, England. They are MU fans. First MU fans I have had the pleasure of meeting. Small world indeed.

Of course, I am an M City fan myself. Lol

7. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    I'm a Liverpool fan, so we hate Man U. just because...

I'm a Yankee fan too, and we hate Boston just because...

Now I am at odds because Liverpool is owned by the owner of the Red Sox...D'OH!!!

8. Darkcat

Darkcat Rookie

Nov 12, 2012
    Derby, England
    Full Name:
    Peter Wright
    I hate football as a whole, because of the idiots in the game and stands.
    There is nothing, at all, to like about the game.

9. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Perhaps you are a Rugby fan. A mans game. ;)

10. haroonok

haroonok Formula 3

Sep 5, 2007
    england
    Full Name:
    haroon
    liverpool 1 Man Utd 2....

11. bball16

bball16 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 2, 2011
    NY LI FtL
    Full Name:
    Mike
    Same reason everybody hated the Yankees.

12. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    MU outplayed them especially in the first half...more shots, more shots on goal. Atkinson getting a Red card did not help Liverpool.

13. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    Moreno was asleep on the pitch - too much ball watching. Can't do that when defending against a player of Mata's caliber, and you saw the result.

14. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Many years back I used to teach/train modules in Computervision CADDS5 and associated applications around the UK. I was often asked coming from Manchester if I was a United fan. I would always try to gauge the students before that point and then say either yes or no depending.
    Sometimes it got quite interesting. There is as suggested plenty of hatred. I find a similar experience as a Ferrari F1 fan. Both play in red too :D

Thing is I don't much like Football (Soccer) at all.

The one and only time I went into Old Trafford (football ground) was to see Bon Jovi. I'm going again to the Old Trafford cricket ground to see the Foo Fighters. Don't much like cricket either, I wonder if I'm even British at times :D

15. phrogs

phrogs F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 13, 2004
    Michigan
    I say go to london sometime When games are going on and see all the football fans getting drunk partying. No different than football fans here. But it's more fun for me in the UK.

I'm quite sure if you have on the wrong team jersey it can get your ass kicked fast.

It's like having a Cowboys sticker in the window of your car at an Oakland game. Your window will be broken when you get back. And they weren't even playing the Cowboys. (That's a True story)

Wear some MU colors in London and see what happens?

16. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Many Oakland fans are indeed thugs.

Our Episcopalean minister hates MU. He won't have anything red in his Garden. from London. Seems extreme for a man of the cloth. What about forgiveness. ;)

17. Hugh Conway

Hugh Conway Karting

Jul 24, 2012
    That's ManU's fanbase now ;)