Bringing home a Mondial | FerrariChat

Bringing home a Mondial

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by petrolheadjeff, Apr 16, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Hi all, I'm Jeff and I thought I'd say hi and see if I can get some basic advice/help from people that's imported before.

I'm looking to bring home a 1985 Mondial from the states. I've put out requests for transport costs and I'm still waiting to here from those companies.

Meanwhile I'm wondering where I'd get the info I need to "UK reg" the car. I know I'm going to need to change the headlamps but what else might I need to change?

Also, the 30 year rule and 5% VAT. I've read that some say "don't bother" others say it's worth a go. Is there anyone that's got tangled with HMRC over this or will they wind their necks and actually let me breathe?

Also, where will I get parts that I need for the car? New and used.

Any help with any of this would be really, really appreciated.

thanks,
    Jeff

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Don't new Ferrari parts come from Ferrari dealers ?

Used parts from QV or Eurospares for example - there's lots of information in the Mondial (& 308) section even for the UK

Headlamps will probably just need adjusting not changing - in fact if you are lucky stickers should suffice

Funnily enough DVLA's site has quite useful information about importing cars - there's also loads of experience at Pistonheads - if its a car originally registered in America it should have the EPA date plate in the door (I think) which might be of use to prove age

3. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Yes, several newer and active contributors in the Mondial forum from the UK and the Euro mainland as well.

4. RobinD

RobinD Karting

Aug 17, 2014
    Lincolnshire
    Full Name:
    Robin Duxbury
    We used Kingstown shipping in the UK when we bought our 308 back at Xmas and they were great cost $1100.
    As for vat defiantly go for the 5% and they will help with this as well 😉

Registering is easy with DVLA just fill out the form and send it off and you don't need type approval etc due to the age, you just need MOT, insurance and send it off with your £55 registration fee job done

5. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #5 petrolheadjeff, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Hi all and thanks for getting back to me. I've followed the advice here and have spent the evening on the dot gov & DVLA sites. Hmm, so now I have a bit of the picture. It's reassuring that many others have done this before me so I don't feel quite so alone taking this on.

Kingstone is one of the shippers I've been talking to. They do want to up-sell a bunch of services. Some I'll need (insurance) and others I won't. They do offer to take on the paperwork for HMRC/DVLA but I figure I'm not going to learn much by letting them do the work for me. I'm assuming if the paperwork is in order, dealing with .gov shouldn't be an issue (he says ... in hope ... gulp!! :)

It seems I have a choice on board the boat. RoRo or a container option. Of course I don't want the car damaged but that could happen with careless handling no matter what option I choose. Are there any recommendations either way on this from the community here?

Just one more thing really. What if the car is less than 30 years? I was left a little unsure about that while browsing .guv & DVLA. A 348 is the one I'd really like to have but they are 90's cars so would not be applicable for the 30 year option. Would I be asked to pay full duty & VAT for the cost of the car?

I always did like an adventure ... thanks to all respondents btw :eek:)

Jeff

6. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks Robin and congrats on the car !
    Jeff

7. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Kingstone is doing the job .... 'ear we go .... deep breath!

8. dfranzen

dfranzen Formula 3
    Owner

Aug 31, 2013
    Ponte Vedra Beach , FL
    Full Name:
    Don Franzen
    Congrats on the Mondial !

Im sure you stole it at the US prices compared to Euro prices

9. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Thanks i dunno if the price was that great, but the condition of the car is. I just didnt want a rusty UK isht-heap.

10. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    As well as headlights, you'll have to change rear lights, wing repeaters, add a r/h fog light and replace both door mirror glasses.

11. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    I would suggest avoid leaving anything loose in the car such as tools, books, spare parts. They have a habit of disappearing. especially in RORO. Good luck.

12. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Soz Rusty, you're wrong on all counts. I drove the car to a local testing station for inspection. Two guys spent almost 2 hours checking the car through. It passed without any "advisories" and I wasn't asked to change one single thing.

Phew !!

13. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Was this a registration inspection or the MOT ?

14. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    I suspect that was the IVA inspection not an mot...

15. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Nope. Mot. No IVA needed.

16. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name: