traveling to England | FerrariChat

traveling to England

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by turbos7903, Apr 23, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    FChat has always been a great resource for local ideas in the U.S. While traveling so I thought why not try when traveling to England. So my girlfriend and I plan to arrive Sunday May 3rd. Likely Manchester from Dublin. We need to arrive Bath on Wednesday and London Thursday. Other than that we have no defined plans. We are going to rely strictly on public transportation and our feet. We have backpacks so we are traveling very light. We hear there is a great museum in Derby for formula race cars that is a must see. She traveled in England a long time ago centered in Notingham. So that's an option. Any Suggestions or advice? Thanks Jon in Delaware USA

2. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    Moved the thread to the UK section for you. Should get the best response there.

3. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Use Train for train ticket prices then see if they can be bettered price wise on www.splitticketing.com

National Express for the bus trips

Have fun, there is lots to see and do, Bath is lovely

4. phil the brit

phil the brit Formula 3

Jul 7, 2013
    Colchester+Clermont
    Full Name:
    Phil Taylor
    Are you seeing our country in like two days? Most Americans can do "Europe' in a coulple of weeks to be fair!

5. A.J

A.J Karting

Dec 14, 2007
    United Kingdom
    I travel to the states for a 2 week holiday approx 3 times a year and have done so for a few years (I LOOOOOVVVEEE the states! I feel even after all this time I haven't even scratched the surface. You'll be bored in the Uk after 2 days haha! Enjoy :)

6. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Sunday thru Friday. The rest of the time in Ireland. Will be there for five days. We Americans dont take enough vacation time sadly.

7. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
  8. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You're nowhere long enough to see anything properly so just take the hop-on hop-off bus tour in London and a little river tour in Bath - Donington is not ideal by public transport on your sort of schedule - try a search on London in this section for previous recommendations and see what else appeals

9. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Thanks for the advice. So Donnington isnt easily reachable by public transport? Train then Bus?

10. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #11 greyboxer, Apr 24, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
    Maybe Manchester to Derby then taxi to Donington & back to Derby for Birmingham and then Bath - you need to look at times but I feel it'd be a long day particularly as there might be stuff you (or gf) would like to see in Manchester Birmingham or Bath (the reason I mention it that way is that would most likely be the best train route ie south down the west side)

11. graham johnson

Sep 23, 2014
    I'm sure you could find a bus to East Midlands airport and the a 5 minute taxi ride to Donington

12. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    actually that's a great plan. We are going to arrive in Manchester on Sunday. Stay Manchester for that day maybe into the Morning of Monday. Then head to Derby from Manchester. Then a Cab to Donington.

Now I understand Monday May 4th is a Bank Holiday. Now in the US that would mean almost nothing. I am beginning to get the impression that's a much bigger deal in England. Can you enlighten me? Im feeling more confident about this trip by the Day.

[ QUOTE=greyboxer;143888714]Maybe Manchester to Derby then taxi to Donington & back to Derby for Birmingham and then Bath - you need to look at times but I feel it'd be a long day particularly as there might be stuff you (or gf) would like to see in Manchester Birmingham or Bath (the reason I mention it that way is that would most likely be the best train route ie south down the west side)
    .[/QUOTE]

13. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I live 20 minute's drive from Donington. The museum is ok, great for McLaren but light on Ferrari. I wouldn't travel from the US just to see it but you're in luck that particular weekend :) Donington Historic Festival

14. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Great British tradition on Bank Holidays is over-running engineering works on the railways screwing your travelling on the Monday and the next day....

15. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    If you haven't already booked, get a Dublin to EMA flight and skip Manchester. East Midlands airport is at Donington. The track & museum are next door, literally.

16. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    The fact that the festival Is happening that weekend is fabulous. I have not booked a flight but most certainly will go direct Dublin to EMA. Probably arrive Donnington Sunday and stay through Monday. Any hotel recommendations ?
    This is terrific info. That's to my FChat friends in The UK !!

17. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    One with space - come on: there's a major event so its grab what you can.....

18. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    If your on a budget then premier inns or travel lodge are usually ok

otel.com or hotel.com should find you a decent bed for the night

19. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Jon, to get to Bath I'd go via London from Leicester. Donington to Leicester is an easy trip in the right direction. Get the train Leicester to London St Pancras and then London Paddington to Bath. Have fun

20. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Just arrived Donington. As usual FChat comes through. Attending historic races Monday thanks for the idea!

21. vaccarella

vaccarella Formula 3

Apr 16, 2011
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Great stuff! Make sure you tour the pit straight garages, last year there were a few 250Fs being prepared. I can't make it this year as I'm out on business this weekend :(

22. Hardistyfezza

Hardistyfezza Formula Junior

Welcome to the UK.

23. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    Ultimately decided Nottinham Gloucester bath spa train. Easy. On stop and train change. Your country is beautiful and fairly easy to navigate. While there going to walk around. We heard a river cruise pump room and the baths are all must see. Any other ideas. ?

24. turbos7903

turbos7903 F1 Rookie

Mar 16, 2006
    delaware
    Full Name:
    jon walton
    WOW. Bath is a fabulous city! The mix of ancient architecture and modern convenience is really attractive. Some fabulous places to eat. Going to Roman baths and the famous bridge over the canal. Had a terrific dinner last night and then desert at Sally Lunns . 300 years of serving the visitors !!