Arrive & drive karting in or near London? | FerrariChat

Arrive & drive karting in or near London?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by peterp, Jun 12, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 peterp, Jun 12, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
    We will be visiting London in July and my 15 year old son is dying to race karts in the UK.

He races karts in NY, but racing is a thousand times more popular in the Europe/UK than it is in the US (at least among his generation), so he is super excited about racing in the UK and is convinced it will be Nirvana. I've tried to temper his enthusiasm, but it's impossible. I've been to London a lot, but always in and out on business, so I don't know anything about what's available. I did a little research and it looks like there are a few place near London, but hoping to get feedback on which place is best.

We are staying near Victoria Station, without a car, and are only there for 5 days. I'd rather book a long day at the track where he can drive a lot in one day instead of visiting multiple times. The main priority is to have fast and well maintained karts. It would be nice if it is somewhat reasonably affordable (yes, I know that the terms "London" and "affordable" are generally not compatible).

Please let me know what tracks would be best based upon the above.

Thanks,
    Peter

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Do you mean indoor karting (just google karting london) or proper like Buckmore Park near Chatham or maybe Daytona Sandown Park (quick train ride if lucky)

3. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    He's done a lot of indoor karting at various places in the US, so it would be good for it to be something unique. I did google karting in London, just trying to get the inside scoop on which tracks are best, which are mass transit accessible from Victoria, etc.

We probably won't have time to visit more than one track, so I'd like to do one marathon session, so it would be good to know is some of them have "all/half day" passes or which have multi-race packages.

Sandown and Buckmore look interesting, though to be honest it's hard to get a feel for what any of them are really like from the websites. It seems like they need to be 16 for the faster karts at these places. He will be a month shy of 16 and is very experienced at racing, don't know if they check for ID.