Eurotunnel - issues? | FerrariChat

Eurotunnel - issues?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by PhatFrank, Aug 7, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    I'm taking the Dino to the Revival again this september, but as the ferry from Denmark to Harwich no longer operates I was planning to take the tunnel. However, recent events with refugees make me a bit nervous. Don't feel like having two guys hiding in the luggage compartment... Anyone here recently take the tunnel? Are the issues only for trucks, or are cars also targeted? Thank you:).

2. richardson michael

Aug 17, 2013
    brittany. france
    Full Name:
    michael richardson
    Frank. Things seem to be a bit quieter just now,however,I believe A safer plan would be to cross Calais - Dover with P&O ferries. 80 minute crossing,but no problems.

3. MarkCollins

MarkCollins F1 Rookie
    Owner

Jul 2, 2002
    South England
    Full Name:
    Mark Collins
    I came through the week before last in the 458 with no problems at all, it's very quiet, I think many are avoiding it. The Eurotunnel staff said all the issues were all in the freight area not car transport

I would suggest going during the daytime

4. Camlet1

Camlet1 Formula 3

May 3, 2014
    UK
    Went thru mid July at height of various actions, inc French. All fine but we had flexi plus ticket which was expensive but we were put to front of line, worth the money IMO. There's also the ferry from Dieppe as back up.

5. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Just curious.

At what point do you start driving on the right side of the road going to France and the left side of the road going to UK?

6. 308mon

308mon Karting

Oct 5, 2014
    UK
    Rail service only (vehicles drive onto purpose-built carriages), although there is a service tunnel between the 2 main tunnels and I believe all service/emergency vehicles drive on the right along the service tunnel (illegal immigrants are supposed to run on the left heading for the UK but have been known to use both sides).

7. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    Thanks for the tips, guys. I've never taken the P&O ferry - are there any issues in bringing an old car? Last time I took a similar ferry with an old newly restored 911 a fat woman dragged her suitcase diagonally across the hood. I'm a peaceful and relatively nice guy, but I damn near threw her overboard:).

8. spaghetti_jet

spaghetti_jet Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2005
    Europa
    Full Name:
    Bob
    I have been through the channel tunnel 4 times in the last 6 weeks. The last time was just last Saturday from folkestone to calais. I did not see a single suspicious person or refugee, I was looking out too, I had been 'terrorised' by the media reports and on my first trip calais to folkestone I stopped 50km before calais, brimmed the tank, locked the doors and made a bee line for the train terminal.

I expected people in the road trying to flag down trucks and cars, people trying to sneak in etc. But the reality was that I saw nobody and nothing untoward. I am left with the conclusion that it's all Daily Mail hype.

Imho, you can't beat the channel tunnel for low sports cars. If you ask to stay on the bottom level lhere are no nasty ramps and bumps to scrape your car on like there is getting on and off a ro-ro ferry. Also, nobody parks next to you and no dings and scrapes from people getting to and from the stairs.

My suggestion would be to use the tunnel and don't worry about it :)

9. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    Thanks for that - sums up my thoughts. Will book chunnel tickets - there's not any room in the car for illegal passangers anyway:).

10. CTC

CTC Rookie

Sep 5, 2015
    Gloucestershire
    Came through the tunnel in our 360 spider yesterday without a hitch... As easy as its always been in our RR and none of the drawbacks of sailing/loading ramps etc... Hope that helps...

11. tonyl8281

tonyl8281 Karting

Jul 1, 2014

Took my 360 down to Maranello two weeks ago using the tunnel. Absolutely no problems you refer to thankfully. I would though very strongly recommend that you book your car specifying the 'high vehicle' carriages because the normal ones are quite narrow and certainly on modern Ferraris have been known to damage the wheel rims. I'm not sure if the Dino is as wide as later cars but it's worth checking I suggest. Tony

12. voicey

voicey Formula 3

Jul 29, 2009
    London, UK
    Full Name:
    Aldous Voice
    I traveled the following day and got snarled up for 3 hours waiting for a train...

13. PhatFrank

PhatFrank Karting

Nov 9, 2010
    Norway
    We actually ended up taking the ferry from Dunkirk instead. Worked fine:). Thanks for all the helpful tips though, gotta love fchat!

14. Hamishmoon

Hamishmoon Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2014
    Blairgowrie,Scotland
    Full Name:
    Hamish
    Tip: just took my 458 to Calais and had the unfortunate incident of scraping my left front wheel as it is a little wide for the normal car section: On our return a French worker asked if I would like to go with the high sided vehicles as he recognized the 458 had a wide wheel track, he also suggested in the future to tick the box that you are taller than 1.85 metres and take that lane on arrival, we returned with no issues and plenty of room for the wheels:

15. BAD 130Y

BAD 130Y Formula Junior

Mar 29, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    R Koli
    I was on the continent yesterday as i often do every month. Eurotunnel has no probs, as i keep forgetting when doing online booking when i go to lanes i always go to signs for high vechicles and coaches. I have Novitec 3 pcs split wheels and not wanting to scratch them i always go for higher and wider load coaches that way its better.