Anyone imported a USA Spec Ferrari to the UK | FerrariChat

Anyone imported a USA Spec Ferrari to the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Jared_nomak, Oct 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jared_nomak

Jared_nomak Rookie

Oct 10, 2015
    Hi
    Wondering if anyone has imported a USA Spec Ferrari to the UK. Looking for a 348/355 spider and looking a prices they don't appear to have reached the high prices that the cars in the UK have even in LHD.
    I am aware there will be Vat and 10% duties. I would also have to replace the headlights, what other costs are involved.
    Thanks
    Ross

2. cuneo

cuneo Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 20, 2006
    I think you also have to add the small front wing round turn signals, but not positive.

3. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    #3 greyboxer, Oct 10, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Why do you think you'd be the first ? I'm sure many have and some have probably commented here

Try 'search this forum' on the word 'import' for a few relevant threads - most could be about European cars but there are others to help

Headlights might not need replacing just refocusing right to left - yellow indicator lenses perhaps - also maybe reverse & fog light sides to be changed

4. Jared_nomak

Jared_nomak Rookie

Oct 10, 2015
    I have found posts about importing from the Europe but not the US

5. Hoodude

Hoodude F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 5, 2007
    North Carolina
    Full Name:
    RE
    You might try speaking with Cosdell,the shipping company. Shippers seem to know the ends and out of such details..and this company is apparently world class.
    Just my two shillings,and it may be worth less than that..
    Cheers,
    RE

6. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    Those cars are over 10 years old which simplifies the process as no certificate of eu conformity is then required, just a normal MOT based on the VIN number, a nova form from customs once it reaches the UK and an application form with a small fee to dvla

7. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Ross, if I remember correctly the UK is still in the EU?
    If yes, then you don't have to pay tax.
    The car was manufactured in Italy (EU) and is returned into the EU.
    However, you would have to pay tax if you import a Mercedes ML which is manufactured in the US.
    So, hurry up and buy the car before the UK voters decide that the UK should leave the EU.

8. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
    Sorry, I was wrong. Tax free re-import into the EU is only possible from certain states like e.g. Switzerland.

9. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    NoSpeedLimit - Please can I ask where you found a list of countries from where re-import into the EC is allowed. I have been looking for this.

10. NoSpeedLimit

NoSpeedLimit Karting

Sep 6, 2013
  11. NeuroBeaker

NeuroBeaker Advising Moderator

Oct 1, 2008
    Huntsville, AL., USA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm not sure on the headlights. The splash of the headlights is a different animal from the alignment and sometimes determined by a different internal shape to the reflectors inside the headlight on some cars. However, I actually don't know if this is the case on the 348 or not... I'll do some digging tomorrow and see if I can find out.

All the best,
    Andrew.

12. petrolheadjeff

petrolheadjeff Karting

Apr 16, 2015
    London/Kent
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    #12 petrolheadjeff, Oct 16, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2015
    Ross, you will need to pay tax. I paid 5% on my 1985 Mondial this year when I brought it in. My car is an EU car. Born in Italy, sold to Germany then sent to the US for 29 years and I still got caned for 5% VAT duty. Under 30 years you'll pay 20% of the purchase price.

Use a money broker to pay the seller. The banks will kill ya on £/USD conversion chargers. They are total thieves thu n thru.

Jeff

13. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    The GOV.UK summary of the vehicle import process here is now reasonably easy to understand and covers the key points:

https://www.gov.uk/importing-vehicles-into-the-uk

In most circumstances, if you're importing a USA spec Ferrari, you'll be paying VAT and Duty (and VAT on the Duty) on the car.

There are exceptions (eg, non-EU resident temporarily imports car to UK for five months to enjoy here and then re-export...), but if it's a complex case your best bet is to discuss with HMRC directly.

In most circumstances, a Ferrari more than 30 years old will qualify for the reduced 5% VAT rate.

Cars younger than 30 years old may still meet the threshold in some cases, so do your homework (see JD Classics v HMRC ruling).

If an EU car is exported outside the EU, you usually won't have to pay VAT if it comes back here within three years. Again, there are of course some exceptions.

-Ed

14. Foster

Foster Rookie

Sep 29, 2014
    Purley
    Full Name:
    David Foster
    I have used CARS ( Classis Automobile Relocation Services ) twice. Superb service and they were the only importer to guarantee me that I would only pay 5% tax for a U.S. Supplied 308 and Porsche 356. Both cars were over 30 years old, but they have so much experience they will be able to tell, you what is possible.

15. rustybits

rustybits F1 Rookie
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Jan 28, 2007
    Somewhere, anywhere
    Full Name:
    Eddie B
    Ten years or less you will need a Eu COC or it will need an IVA test before it can be registered. The headlamps will require replacement, red to amber indicators, disconnection of the front side-markers and mirror glass replacement to comply. Also bear in mind that any car that is required to pass IVA has noise and cats checked during the inspection, so if de-cats and/or sports exhaust fitted those will need attending too as well...