Elvaston Mews, SW7 history | FerrariChat

Elvaston Mews, SW7 history

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by torquespeak, Nov 19, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. torquespeak

torquespeak Formula Junior

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Right then folks, I need some help tracking down an old company that was based in South Kensington in the early 1980s.

I've got an old car sales invoice from 1983 showing a company name of ‘Elvaston’ (imaginatively enough), being based at 29-31 Elvaston Mews, SW7.

The name/signature of the trader on the invoice appears to be ‘David C…’ (but the rest of the signature is too obscure to be certain of the name).

Answers on a postcard, etc etc! :)

-Ed

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    No idea but Coys were round the corner so if you can track any old staff there they might have a clue

If it was a limited company maybe companies house can get you to the directors

3. Simon

Simon Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Aug 29, 2003
    Switzerland
    Full Name:
    Simon
    There's a repair shop on Elvaston Mews called Len Shires Motors. Give them a ring, they might know who was around 30 years ago.

4. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    In 1988 there was a company called Dan Margulies [ vintage cars] LTD at 12 Queens gate Place Mews SW7 5BQ 01-5847472 established 1957 which is just 2 streets away, might there be a connection?

5. johngtc

johngtc Formula Junior
    Owner

Mar 4, 2005
    Yorkshire, UK
    Full Name:
    John Gould
    And Gregor Fiskin is nearby at 14 Queen's Gate Place Mews! From what I remember many of these mews properties have been home to classic car traders over the years - some long term, others lasting just a few months.

John

6. thepinkumbrella

thepinkumbrella F1 Veteran

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    P J Fischer was located at the aforementioned address, the trading name was Steel Transpositions Limited, they were located not only at 29-31 Elvaston Mews, SW7 but also had a premises at 14 Osten Mews, SW7.

Tell me more about the car...

Paul

7. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.

I spoke to Len Shires people ages ago - they couldn't help at all.

Re: other traders, indeed South Kensington is and has been home to many. Nobody nearby has been able to help so far.

Paul - thanks for your input and tweet. I'm investigating this in relation to a red 400 GT (discussed elsewhere on here - thought to be 23947 but currently identified, incorrectly, as 24801).

-Ed

8. simonc

simonc Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    Herfordshire, UK
    Full Name:
    Simon Campbell
    Hi Ed, I'm sure you've looked already but old period Motor Sport or Classic & Thoroughbred might have ads form this dealer.

Simon

9. thepinkumbrella

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    #9 thepinkumbrella, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  10. thepinkumbrella

Feb 26, 2006
    United Kingdom
    #10 thepinkumbrella, Nov 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    It appears as though 'your' 400 was for sale with Elvaston in the April 1983 issue of MotorSport, Rosso Chiaro with black interior, 13,000 miles, priced at £14,950.

Paul
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

11. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Bingo - well spotted, Paul. I should've spent more time combing Motorsport's online archive!

So I think we can assume that Peter Fischer was behind this company. Records show he was a Swiss national... does anyone know if he's still around?

-Ed

12. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    UPDATE: I've heard from Peter Fischer, and he wasn't the only name behind this company.

Peter shared the showroom in Elvaston Mews (think of it as a bit of a collective). His side was Bentleys, while in the other half, David Clark did Ferraris and Patrick Carr and Nigel Couch did other marques.

David Clark does of course tally perfectly with the name on the invoice from 1983, but I never put two and two together as had him down as working from Finchley Road (but that was in the mid-1970s).

I've made contact with David, so we'll see if he remembers the car in question.

-Ed

13. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    I'll take the 250 Lusso for £37.5k........

14. Playframe King

Playframe King Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2010
    UK
    or the dino for £11750......

15. torquespeak

Dec 24, 2010
    UK
    Full Name:
    Ed
    Update - no records kept from this period in any case, and the person who called me (not David) said he didn't think DC had ever worked at this address.

That's not what I was told by the proprietor of the address at the time, but don't think we'll ever get to the bottom of this one.

-Ed