Assistance: Purchasing a car near Frimly (Surrey, Camberly) | FerrariChat

Assistance: Purchasing a car near Frimly (Surrey, Camberly)

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by FiatRN, Feb 3, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    Hello UK FChatters,

I am in Denver, CO, USA, and am considering purchasing a car in Camberly. From my mapping skills, it looks like the owner lives near Frimly. The car isn't a Ferrari (it is a Lancia), but I'm wondering if someone here could take a look at the car for me, or suggest a local shop for a PPI.

I have bought cars long distance before (at all three coasts in the USA, from CO which is nearly dead center) but never from another country, so I am a little nervous. Besides the difficulties of shipping and customs, I would have to figure out how titling would work - I am interseted in titling the car in the UK before I ship it home.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I have a close friend who has done this several times, but he's inconveniently out of town for a spell.

Thank you in advance.

Jonathan
    the FiatRN

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. Mark456M

Mark456M Formula Junior

Aug 26, 2008
    UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Hannaford
    I'm in the area, I may be able to help.

4. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    To answer the second part of the question registering a car in the UK is different to the US as the registration stays with the car on sale whereas in the States the tags stay with the owner for their new car? When buying a car the registration document (V5) has to be sent off to the DVLA (our version of the DMV) who issue a new V5 to the new owner with updated details. I have no idea if it is possible for the DVLA to issue a new V5 to someone who does not have a UK address but it would not surprise me if they won't do that.

Perhaps the best solution for you would be to engage someone like CARS to handle the export and shipping if you end up buying the car? My Dad used them several times when buying cars in the States and importing them to the UK and always had excellent and fuss free service.

CARS - International Car Shipping - Vehicle Sea Freight

5. Patrick Dixon

Patrick Dixon Formula 3

Mar 27, 2012
    UK
    I am pretty sure that you can't. Also you can't drive a car on foreign plates in the UK if you are a permanent UK resident.

6. Red Sled

Red Sled Formula Junior

On registering the vehicle in the UK:

There are two distinct concepts involved:

1) The registered keeper who is named on the registration document (V5C). The registered keeper may or may not be the owner. The registered keeper is responsible for administration of the vehicle for items such as MoT test (annual vehicle testing unless exempt), taxing the vehicle annually, delaing with DVLA/police enquiries, fines etc.

2) Owner - who has an/the economic interest in the car.

Provided

1) you can find a person with a UK address to be the registered keeper
    2) get the car insured in the UK
    3) have a valid MoT test certificate, if needed

then you can have the car registered and use it in the UK. If you are not intending to use it on public roads in the UK, then you can skip #3 (possibly #2 also if you are feeling brave), and apply for what is known as a SORN which only allows you to keep the car off public roads.

7. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    All - thank you for the information, kind words, and background. I'm learning as I go. And I apologize for the misspellings - I should have taken more care!

I am waiting to hear from the owner with answers to some questions, and researching options thanks to the info provided here.

Mark456M - I may take you up on that offer.

Jonathan

8. YellowF50

YellowF50 Formula Junior

Feb 15, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    K B
    Sometimes when you buy a car or come to sell it the V5 or title has been misplaced.

When this is so you can apply for a new V5 with your new details etc. ( this is often used when famous people have owned cars and the old V5 will go in the cars file,as provenance)

You may wish to do this yourself and is possible using this form.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/application-for-a-certificate-of-permanent-export

Rather than apply to dvla records and loose the British paperwork if you do just notify them it is for export.

Regarding transferring to you in uk, you will need to apply for tax too unless you sorn the vehicle. (Declare it as off the road).

https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-tax

https://www.gov.uk/make-a-sorn

However you will need a uk address to do this and insurance is needed to tax a vehicle, you can drive in uk on USA license for 12 months from previous visit.

https://www.gov.uk/driving-nongb-licence

This might help too. Driving in the UK on a non-UK licence - uSwitch

9. motoroller

motoroller Rookie

Jun 16, 2015
    I'm also near Frimley and could assist if necessary.

10. jaisharma

jaisharma Karting

Aug 4, 2011
    South east, UK
    Full Name:
    Jai Sharma
    I go to Guildford a couple of times a week as I have an office there and may be able to help depending on the Lancia - I have had many - what model is it?
    I also know lots of Lancia owners so may get some inside info ( that would be my initial suggestion)

11. FiatRN

FiatRN Formula Junior

Nov 21, 2008
    Denver, CO
    Full Name:
    Jonathan Drout
    Thank you all for the awesome information and offers so far.

I am pursuing getting myself a Delta HF 16V. I like them more than the Evos, for no discernable reason (they aren't as fast, crazy, etc, but...).

I have just run into a stumbling block - I may have to repair the sewer line at my house. So I must figure that out first - can't have sewege trouble unrepaired!

Jonathan
    Denver, CO, USA

12. yellowtr

yellowtr Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2004
    London
    Full Name:
    Peter