FoS 2016 Do's & Don'ts... | FerrariChat

FoS 2016 Do's & Don'ts...

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by 328gts1987, Jun 2, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 328gts1987

328gts1987 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Hi there,

This year (after years on the bucket-list) we are traveling to Festival of Speed as friends flying in from SF suggested to go together. We rented a villa near the gates at 10min walking distance as we are afraid of traffic jams…

As it is our first FoS I was wondering what are the must do's and don'ts…

At the end of the climb the running-cars are parked, looks a long way away to get there but looks interesting. Is it worth to go there? Are there shuttles???

What are the best ways to have a (decent) snack/lunch? Are there facility's? If so, which are the best?
    McLaren has a VIP arrangement (at a cost :rolleyes:), is it worth the fee?

As we are Ferraristi is our brand represented at this event? If so how/where/who I have to contact to find out more? Is there an owners area?

All experiences shared here are very welcome, also suggestions how/when to leave the event when finished, to avoid the traffic. Leave Monday the best option? Or is Sunday early afternoon also possible?

Love to hear all ideas/comments.

The (dutch) Flintstones

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Its not that far to the top of the hill and there are shuttles - the upsides being its a relaxed paddock at the top and you get to stop and watch at different locations up the hill and can pop in to the rally stage

There are lot of food options all around the site but especially near the cricket pitch (usually)

To walk in is easiest then no worries about queues or parking

Traffic is quite intense for the first few hours on Sunday evening but it really depends where you are staying relative to the location

There might be some Ferrari drives for favoured clients on the Thursday but that'll be about all

Which days are you there ?

3. 328gts1987

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #3 328gts1987, Jun 3, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Hi Jimmy,
    Thx for the explanation, it is appreciated.
    We have tickets for all days (is that to much?).

We can walk but also the villa provides (electric) bikes… We will see what works best.

Do I understand each day has a different program? As you are writing Thursday is the only day (lucky) ones are driving Ferrari? :D

hope to experience something like: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMB5L3y1bL0
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    You're going to Goodwood not Pebble Beach ?

The paddock and the displays are open the whole weekend tho not every car is on display Thursday

On the Thursday is a manufacturer demo day and if you are lucky you might be able to blague a drive up the hill in an ordinary car - just go in and ask at the least popular make you see represented - last year Citroen reserved lots of places for people who walk up on the day

5. 328gts1987

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Thx Jimmy,

To make it clear; we are going to Good Wood FoS but also Pebble Beach in August.
    We did Ville 'd Este last May (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/holland-belgium/522865-como-meer-ville-d-este-2016-a.html) and 3 weeks before that Targa Florio :p (http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/holland-belgium/521774-targa-florio-2016-a.html)

Bussy year scedual but who is complaining….;)

Back on topic,
    Thursday we will arrive in the afternoon and start looking for "a brand" to scope a ride up the hill, good tip!

6. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
  7. DKHudson

DKHudson Formula Junior

Sep 1, 2004
    Durham, UK
    Full Name:
    David Hudson
    #7 DKHudson, Jun 17, 2016

I love the Festival of Speed, although sadly have not been able to attend for a number of years due to work commitments.

The basics are that you will have a great time! The site is quite large, but it is very much a case of wander for a while, stop and watch the action… wander for a while and soon you will be at the top of the hill.

Okay: The event runs on a private road through the Goodwood estate, past Goodwood house and then turns up the hill. The event is a properly organised hill-climb and operates in sessions, like many hill-climb events.

There is no return road, so the cars will collect at the exit to the two main paddock areas, then follow the course car down to the start. Here they turn around and wait for the session to start… before making their timed run to the top of the hill. As you know they then wait at the top until the session is finished before driving back to the paddocks. And then the process starts again for the next session.

So there are six good places to stand:
    Exit of the paddock (x2)
    Bottom turning area / start area
    Top paddock / finish area
    ... plus the track side

HINT: The bottom turning area is beside the entry gate and often people go right by here to get into the main show. You can get good views of the cars and it is worth being here for the F1 cars. The F1 do not have space to make a turn, so instead spin the car around on the throttle. BRILLIANT.

Over the 2, 3 days I would just keep moving around. There are a few closed VIP areas, but the paddocks are open and free access. There is nearly always something coming in from, or going out onto the track.

Yes it is a good walk to the top of the hill and the top paddock, but it is easy to walk a few hundred metres, stop and watch a session, then move again. It doesn’t take that long and it is worth it… Also the rally stage is at the top of the hill and that is worth seeing.

The track side has many viewing areas, but through the day it will be very crowded. It will be particularly crowded on Saturday and Sunday and so a grandstands would be sensible for Saturday and Sunday. Otherwise, if you are prepared to carry it, a small step ladder will allow you to stand at the back of the crowd and see over perfectly from the trackside.

HINT: many, many visitors are local day-trip spectators. At about 16:00hrs those with children and reluctant spouses will leave! On Friday and Saturday the cars often run to 18:00hrs, 19:00hrs and sometimes later. So late afternoon, early evening is a great time to be on the hill, after the crowd has gone. Also as it goes quiet the grandstands empty and late in the day they stop checking tickets... (at least that was the case when I went).

Staying so close to the event will allow you to get in early and that is a wise move.

There will be food on site, plenty of fast food… chips, burgers, hot dogs, pasta. It will keep you going, it will not be as cheap as it should be and will not be very high quality.

I have never tried the VIP areas, so cannot comment on what you will find, but hopefully any food and facilities will be better!

All this makes me wish I was going next weekend!!! Have a great trip.

FINALLY… There are several entry/exits. Be careful to use the correct one… it is easy to find yourself in the wrong car park on the wrong side of the hill!

There are tractors / trailers taking people back to the main south car park, but when I last attended I do not recall there being any other shuttle buses.

8. 328gts1987

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Mar 11, 2007
    Rotterdam Holland
    Full Name:
    Fred
    #8 328gts1987, Jun 27, 2016
    We are back!

What an amazing event! speach-less, overwhelmed, impressed and addicted for life! :D:D:D

You guys thanx for the tips, they were a great help. It was bigger as I suspected. 4 days were not enough to see it all. 4x4 we have seen from a distance but didn't have the time to fully investigate.
    Also helicopters & Planes we didn't visit :(

Best sound?
    FXX (classic, not FXX-K) next to drag racer (was the final run on sunday as grand final, 8000BhP :eek: 20 yards in front of me, burnout….)
    Worst sound (or better, lack off) Bugatti-Chiron and AM-Vulcan, really no sound compared to there speed….

Most beautiful car?
    Difficult, but one of the F1 cars, saw several (Ferrari, ToroRosso, Renault, Toyota, Mc Laren/Honda)

Best action?
    Turn around at start-line, turning on throttle :cool:

Best view?
    At Vip balcony of Ferrari for track, on top of Ford building for general view and manor/statue

Best Goodies?
    Gulf outfit incl. sneakers and matching bags.

Best Food?
    Vip area of Mc Laren

Best Meet & Greet: F-chatters (from .com), Chris Harris, E Fittipaldi, Derek Bell (5x Le mans winner), Mr JMW (YouTube), The StradMan (YouTube) in that order

Friendliest stand employees?
    Tesla, Mandy in particular (worst were the Ferrari employees, do not understand that owners (like us) must be treated with respect, all times as we pay there salaries….)

Best (relaxing)seat?
    Inside Bentley Flying Spur :D

Most beautiful stand?
    Honda, toy garage in supersize

Biggest stand?
    Porsche or Land Rover. Porsche had the biggest mud pool, Land Rover the most challenging 4x4 track.

Best day?
    All of them, even thursday (raining cats & dogs) as we parked in the mud with the Tesla and didn't get stuck….

Fastest Run?
    Ariel Atom, faster than the winning Subaru but didn't compete

Best idea?
    Rent a bike and cycle trough all stops/jams etc. :D
    Took us 20min to get home, the waitress in the restaurant (living in next village) needed 2,5 hours to get to work :(

Best moment?

HOLDING THE STEERING WHEEL OF SENNA'S F1 Mc LAREN
    REAL DEAL, NO COPY, ORIGINAL!!!! (=Handshake with The Lord :p)

Also held the steering wheel of Alonso's Mc Laren (2016), more high-tech, but is not as impressive as the one of Senna...