Using Visa Credit Card in the UK | FerrariChat

Using Visa Credit Card in the UK

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by skipgt4, Jun 28, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    I am going to be vacationing in the UK the first week of July.
    It just occurred to me that it might be a good idea to ask if I am going to have any concerns with my US based Visa Credit Card.
    I will be in London for a couple of days and I don’t think I will have an issue there, but the rest of my 10 day trip will be driving up into Scotland and back sightseeing.
    Am I going to have a problem at the pubs, hotels, and shops in the small towns not taking Credit Cards?

2. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    Make sure you let your bank know your travel dates before you leave; otherwise they may think charges from across the pond are fraudulent and cut you off. Also expect to take a bit of a larger hit on currency exchange rates versus exchanging cash at a currency dealer. However, you may just want to consider the higher captive US Bank credit card company exchange fee as more of a convenience fee that makes things simpler during the trip. Have fun!

3. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    You should be fine re credit cards up here in Scotland, there's not many places that don't take them.

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Do your cards have pin & chip technology? We had to request updated cards when we went to Italy two years ago. Fortunately, the pin and chip technology is becoming more prevalent here in the U.S...T

5. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Yes, the cards I use do have chips and I have already told VISA I will be traveling in the UK.
    Now all I need to do is get to warm up a little over there. its in the mid 80's here in Michigan.

6. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

You're set, my man! Safe travels, and post lots of pics...T

7. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I use my cards in Europe all the time. I tell the BofA that I will be using my debit card but never told the other banks about Visa or Amex

IMO, Amex is hard to use except for hotels and cars. Most restaurants and stores don't use it. Some do, some don't. But Visa is accepted everywhere (I've not been to Scotland).

If you plan to get cash with your Debit card, contact the bank and tell them. Getting cash is much more difficult.

8. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    we were just in the UK - no problems at all. Chip and sign ... or if you have the pin then that is the way to go. My wife has the updated card with pin... I'm still chip and sign.
    most people were able to do a swipe as well.

You do want to let them know where you will be... sometime they shut you off, sometimes not.

Had no issues with Amex at all in London.

9. chnco

chnco Formula Junior

Dec 20, 2014
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Allen C
    1. Ensure you have a chip enabled card
    2. Travel notification to issuer
    3. Be mindful that most cards have a 3-4% foreign transaction fee, search around, there are some that do not

Check the different networks you have on the back of your card for ATM compatibility if you need cash.

10. IanMac

IanMac Formula 3

Jul 26, 2006
    Scotland
    Full Name:
    Ian
    It's around the mid sixties here in Scotland (on a good day) - too much heat isn't good for you. ;)

11. Mckinney

Mckinney Karting

Mar 29, 2013
    I've never had an issue with Visa anywhere, in Europe, Middle East, Russia, Kenya, etc. nor have I ever had a problem with a Chase ATM card. I have never called the bank beforehand.

12. lopena

lopena Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    I ALWAYS call the credit card company beforehand (after having had my card rejected in France).

Also, Capital One (and some other cards no doubt) waives the 3% foreign transaction fee, which can add up to big money in no time.

13. skipgt4

skipgt4 Formula Junior

Nov 3, 2003
    GR Michigan
    Full Name:
    Charles VDB
    Thank you to everyone for your comments. Cant wait to get to the UK.

14. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    I was there 2 weeks ago. Colder than winter in San Francisco!

15. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C

Do you mean colder than summer in San Francisco? ;)
    T

16. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver
    #16 zudnic, Aug 12, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    It shouldn't be a problem. The place we've (my parents) run into problems with American issued non chip cards. Is self serve kiosks (pay at pump gas, etc.) and some ATM machines that are chip only.

My sort of girlfriend. Her father was British (he past away). She was born in Canada. Via her father (birthright) she obtained British citizenship and a passport. Anyway, she works in Los Angeles. She visits London and Sweden and has no problem with American non chip cards in either places.

Top tip more for Canadians. But Americans who frequent London, could do so as well. Several Canadian banks have branches in London. Comes in handy if you frequent London on business or even pleasure, to have a bank there!

Here is the list of Canadian banks with branches in London.

Canadian Banks in London ? Contact Information

Its fairly easy for Americans to open an account at any of the above banks. Again its just nice to have bank services there just in case if you frequent London. Any problems you can go to the branch and solve problems. Loose a bank card, very easy to get a new one if your bank is there!

17. zudnic

zudnic Formula 3

Nov 13, 2014
    Vancouver