Newbie | FerrariChat

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by Wildling, Dec 1, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Wildling

Wildling Rookie

Feb 6, 2016
    Warwickshire
    Full Name:
    Anthony Ellard
    Greetings to you all,

This will be my first blog of many hopefully, but not very good at computer or spelling so apologies for now, for any bad grammar or spelling mistakes. no more apologies, I've been told us English apologies way to much, i just think we are just nice people.

Any way i have just purchased a 458 Spider 2012 in White, and what can i say well, i think that Jeremy Clarkson puts it very well in Top Gear but he has now gone to the dark side and gone to Amazon and i don't have a stick so i have to watch it on Youtube. Happy days or maybe not so.

Anyways my question would be what is the average miles that any Ferrari owner would want to do, i have had my car now 9months and done 4600miles and that you might think, is a lot of miles but i love car and driving it and who cares.

Some people have said to me already Ferrari owners and non Ferrari owners that dont you worry about clocking up the miles, uhm bad english all for a second but no, why have the car

As they would say Winter is Coming and iam got to go.
    Laters Wilding

2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
  3. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Welcome.
    You do what pleases you the most. :)

4. Robert W

Robert W Formula 3

Mar 13, 2005
    Oxford, UK
    Full Name:
    Robert Westall
    My experience was always to use the car when I felt like it. Over time you will naturally use the car a lot one year and less another year, however unlikely that may seem at the start.

If you are in a patch when you are using it and enjoying it, keep going.

I never planned how much mileage I was going to do in my Ferraris, and just drove them when I wanted to. Quite often I wanted to drive the car, but had no reason to - I would drive it round the Oxford ring road with one of our children as a baby in a car seat to send it to sleep, or drive it to and from the office or just go for a drive to no where in particular.

The only time this is different is if the car has Properly low mileage (e.g. a 30 year old car with 2,000 miles on the clock) in which case people own them as investments and never drive them.

5. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    Perfectly said Robert.
    It's like this. You spend your money on whatever you want in life, providing nobody suffers and it's legal.
    Whether that is looking a your garage queen, polishing you garage queen or driving to oblivion it matters little so long as you enjoy it.

In fact if your hobby is watching your bank balance grow then do it.

6. derekmines

derekmines Formula Junior

Dec 12, 2013
    Melksham, UK
    Full Name:
    Derek
    I've never bothered about the miles that I put on my 360, last year work and bad weather conspired to mean I only managed around 900 miles all year, however in the 3 years I've owned the car I've more than doubled the mileage.... I bought it to use not to look at.

7. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Anthony

First of all congratulations on the new purchase. You are a bit ahead of me, as my new car does not arrive until next year, but one thing for sure is that I am going to get my money's worth out of it, and not worry about the mileage!!

I'm going to pick mine up from the factory, got some friends to see in Italy on the way back, my brother wants to go a few places when we are there as he has not been to Italy before......So I'm guessing going by my previous road trips my car will have close to 2500 miles on it before it is even 2 weeks old!! Some of them you here about don't do that in 10 years, I will do that in my first 2 weeks... I think I know who is going to get more enjoyment and know there car better, it will be those that actually use it, not those that keep it in the garage and keep going on about how well it stacks up against a Mac or a Lambo!

If you search my posts you will see I started a thread about this a few weeks back and interestingly there were more high mileage users that posted than I thought.

These cars are super reliable - get your money's worth out of it!!

FWIW my old GT4 I had for about 6 years and did about 3k in it, because it was so tetchy and always needed the carbs tuning and the plugs cleaning etc and I couldn't rely on it...

These new things are as easy and reliable to drive as my Merc...

Post some pics of your adventures for us to see...

Regards

Michael

8. francisn

francisn Formula 3

Apr 18, 2004
    Berks, UK
    Full Name:
    francis newman
    Michael - you obviously didn't have the right people looking after your GT4 ;-)

I've had mine since March 2014 and have done over 10k miles almost without a glitch (fouled plugs 2 months after I bought it but since then no prob). The previous owner had it running a bit rich. Mick at QV put it back to stock jets and the car now just runs better and better the more I use it. Same plugs now for 2 years and no probs.

9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    Probably not really comparable but I do about 2-3000 miles a year in the Daytona including trips to France. the more you use it the better it runs.

10. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi Francis!

You are spot on with regards the maintenance!! It was a DIY job and I had no clue what I was doing!!!

Anyway the car did survive thank god and is still on the road and in good shape from what I can tell!!

Regards

Michael