What's it like visiting London leading into Christmas? | FerrariChat

What's it like visiting London leading into Christmas?

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by AMA328, Dec 4, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Hi - I may(or may not) end up doing a last minute trip to London right before Christmas. Saw some stuff a couple of years ago on Bloomberg TV that piqued my interest.

Given early sunset hours, cold/damp weather, etc., how would London be during this time? Looked kind of interesting to me on TV and would certainly be a different spin on XMAS compared to what we get here in the U.S.

I've to London once, for 5-6 days, thought it was pretty cool, but haven't yet had time to work out a return trip.

2. 100badboy100

100badboy100 Formula Junior
    Owner

Sep 15, 2016
    Devon- U.K.
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Hi I was born and lived and worked in London most of my life. I now live in Devon but I would say London is one of the best city's to visit any time of year.

My advice would be definately go, you won't regret it. The only thing that is really crap is if it is raining but that aside it is very vey good to visit at Xmas.

P.m. Me if you need any specific advice or questions answers.

Regards

Michael

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

3. magic

magic Formula Junior

Nov 2, 2004
    London
    Right now it's and cold/frosty in the mornings. But in a nice way.
    Shops and restaurants all busy with people out shopping. I went out yesterday and it was a nice vibe..

4. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    London is the best city in the world. Never tire of it. You will enjoy it immensely.

5. zagato750gt

zagato750gt Rookie

Apr 28, 2005
    Munich Germany
    Full Name:
    Nick
    #5 zagato750gt, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Maybe I can give you the perspective of an outsider.....
    I am a brit but have lived in Southern Germany for 35 years, that is all my adult life.
    I visit London at least 5 times a year, it is VERY busy and VERY expensive.....
    You don't get much for your money, the drop in the pound since Brexit made it somewhat better but it still feels expensive. Hotels are generally crap compared to other countries, they are generally old, dirty and expensive too.
    London cannot offer the Christmas experience that other cities like Vienna, Dresden, Zagreb, Prag, Bern/Basel offer BUT it is a great place to be if you have enough money, any time of the year.
    Regards
    Nick
    Oh and best city in the world? I don't think so.......I haven't seen them all but Lisbon and Barcelona would both be above London in my book, but that has to do with lifestyle and climate.

6. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    It is one of the few cities where you can truly feel the holiday spirit. I agree, if the rain holds off, it is a fantastic place to be at this time of year.

7. 635CSI

635CSI F1 Rookie

Jun 26, 2013
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
    #7 635CSI, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Its great, I love to spend Christmas "in town" as we say.
    Its quiet on the actual day though with most restaurants closed, you will probably be eating in your hotel on the 25th, though that can be great. the 26th ,Boxing day, is a sporting day, Premiership football is on. On the 27th there is Rugby. Harlequins versus Gloucester at Twickenham. By now it will be difficult to get tickets for popular theater, ballet and such on the open market. A good hotel concierge or secondary web based markets like "seat wave" should cater to your needs though.
    A walk around the parks on a crisp winter's day can't be beaten.
    If it rain's there is at least things to do and see "inside".
    And the pound is cheap !

8. simpleton7890

simpleton7890 Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Global
    Two answers to this:

1) Awful if you're a commuter. The train home (to Manchester) before Christmas is a harrowing experience.

2) Fantastic if you're a tourist. Though I echo the sentiments about getting a more unique Christmas experience in other European cities at that time of year.

I'm British but I spend that time of year in/around Munich most years. Nobody does Christmas like the Alpen cities!

9. LMPDesigner

LMPDesigner F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 5, 2003
    Atlanta Georgia
    LOL... An American arguing with an Englishman over London and it's spot on world cities. And the Yank voting for London as #1 and the Brit saying no way...

Gotta love it.

I like London because it is a great walking city, massive history and great old architecture but also some of the best modern buildings anywhere. I also am a book lover and there is no better city in the world for finding old books than London. At least English books.

And yes -Barcelona and Lisbon are beautiful cities (Barcelona) but as I do not speakl the language or care for the cuisine a lot neither of those cities interest me much. And in terms of importance/greatness they fall far behind London. They may be nice and all-but they are far from the top of the league of great cities.

Great cites would be:

London
    Paris
    Moscow
    New York
    Tokyo
    Shanghai
    Rio (Maybe..)

And that is about it. Others can be nicer (I think what you actually mean) but not as great.

10. simpleton7890

simpleton7890 Karting

Apr 10, 2006
    Global
    I love the direction this is going. If we are talking of important and historically noteworthy cities, can I recommend the OP heads to the following over his Christmas vacation:

1) Jerusalem
    2) Rome
    3) Baghdad
    4) Athens
    5) Atlantis

...preferably in that order to avoid traffic! ;)

11. Scraggy

Scraggy Formula 3

Apr 2, 2012
    England
    Full Name:
    Scraggy
    You can't compare Lisbon and Barca to London. They are mere villages compared. Also, London was obliterated in the war (so allowances required) as we didn't wave the white flag after two minutes, its the capital of Europe and will be post Brexit. Enjoy. Its one of the worlds 5 or so mega cities.

12. PAUL500

PAUL500 F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2013
    I live under 3 hours or so away by car/train and visit every few years.

That way I get to see the changes that are constantly happening in the centre whilst still appreciating the history.

As mentioned its a fantastic walking city, every corner you take you find a familiar place, those haphazard discoveries make it for me.

After a few days I have had enough though, standards are low with regards conditions of the tourist type hotels, and the place does not feel clean, go beyond the very centre and its not at all pretty generally, apart from the well known affluent suburbs.

Last visit I based myself in Hampstead and travelled in to the centre by tube, that was much nicer as we walked into Camden and those surrounding areas are great to visit as part of the whole experience.

If you are not a fan of crowds then the very centre is not for you, shoulder to shoulder constant bustle, and tourists are not generally very polite or friendly! apart from the Asian visitors who always seem so enthusiastic about the place and constantly smiling, chatty and pointing out things.

13. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    On a clear day or night the Emirates Air Line cable car provides a dramatic aerial view.

FYI. I find London around half the price of NYC for drinks and dining. A glass of Sancerre in NY last week was averaging $20 - $25 per glass, before tips.

14. Beefcake2001

Beefcake2001 Karting

Dec 5, 2013
    Am driving down to central London from Manchester in the morning.

Due to traffic and congestion one of you in the states could probably get there before me.

Great place for a weekend away after that I personally have had enough. Edinburgh is more to my liking.

15. AMA328

AMA328 F1 Rookie

Nov 12, 2002
    ABQ-67me68-OKC :)
    Thanks all. Dunno yet about -this- XMAS, but if not, will likely give it a go next December.

16. Beau365

Beau365 Formula 3

Feb 27, 2005
    Congested London
    Full Name:
    Beau
    Unfortunately it seems you've been frequenting the wrong hotels. Both hotels and restaurants are among the finest on the planet theses days, in addition to some of the world's finest women congregating here :)

17. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    I'm a US/UK dual national, grew up in London, and lived there another 12 years whilst working in F1.

The Christmas atmosphere in London is great, perhaps edged by Paris. I don't have experience of the other European cities mentioned at that time of year.

It is very crowded though, which means there is the hazard with a last-minute trip of not being able to get into the hotels or restaurants you would like. As a guide to where to stay and eat, plus theatre and music, I like Time Out London - Events, Attractions & What's on in London.

If you get decent weather, I can second others' recommendation of a long walk in any of the major parks (St James's is my favourite) or Kew Gardens.

18. Traveller

Traveller F1 Veteran

Apr 10, 2009
    UK
    Full Name:
    Tim
    So true on both accounts. A somewhat odd criticism.

19. Ferrari 308 GTB

Ferrari 308 GTB F1 Veteran

Feb 21, 2015
    Tropical
    The 4/5* hotels are good and plenty expensive ....anything below that is very average ...and also expensive considering what you get.

20. MalcQV

MalcQV F1 Rookie

Oct 11, 2004
    Manchester, UK
    Full Name:
    Malc Holden
    :D Brilliant, 2 minutes :p

I'm a Northerner and will rate where I grew up (Manchester) over anywhere in the UK but London is a fabulous place with it's own unique atmosphere and far better than my home city. We were there a about 6 weeks ago and drove in the Alfa to the centre. Stayed a couple of nights and took in David Gilmour at the Royal Albert Hall and a 70's 'disco' group The Real Thing in the Jazz Cafe.
    After the Jazz Cafe we sat in an Italian restaurant watching folk go by.

I've nearly visited Paris (did Disneyland Paris then thought better of the city and never bothered :D), Rome, Firenze, Milan and Munich over most seasons. They are all special but London and Milan stand out.
    British hotels in general can be 'traditional' and depending what you want then maybe a well known chain might suit you. Me, I like tradition.

I've never had the pleasure of New York. Next on my list.

21. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    European Christmas decorations seem to take one back into another century in time versus US styles. When there many years ago, I seem to recall that it got dark about 3 pm in the afternoon- all the better for the beautiful lights.

22. Peter Tabmow

Peter Tabmow Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2010
    So true. I worked for the Minardi F1 team for five years, and their home town of Faenza was always charmingly decked out for the season. Prosperous provincial towns such as Faenza are real gems for getting to know the Italians and their lifestyle. About half the shops in town bore the family names of team members, which made it even easier to enjoy being there.

23. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    LMAO!

Could not agree more regarding mega vs big city observation.

24. andyww

andyww F1 Rookie

Feb 7, 2011
    London
    I have lived and worked in London for 30 years and have never tired of it and never will.

You could spend a whole year doing/seeing different interesting things in London each day and not have to visit the same place twice.

Other cities run out of steam after a couple of weeks max.

25. christophe320d

christophe320d Karting

Feb 8, 2005
    Will go to,London tomorrow for a few days. I prefer L above Paris this time of the year.
    Shopping is amazing, cars are awesome, tea time , ...

Have fun