Xbox one and PS4 lack of triple screen | FerrariChat

Xbox one and PS4 lack of triple screen

Discussion in 'Technology' started by speedsport, Jun 13, 2013.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. speedsport

speedsport Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2013
    IL/WI
    Full Name:
    Michael
    Is anyone else disapointed that the next gen systems won't offer triple screen support? I thought for sure they would. I wonder why they opted not to...seems to me gaming on 3 TV screens would be awsome. Maybe they figured for the small percentage of people who would dedicate space for a triple screen setup it just wasn't worth it?

2. bobzdar

bobzdar F1 Veteran

Sep 22, 2008
    Richmond
    Full Name:
    Pete
    The ps3 supports triple screen in a few games (GT5 for one), but it requires having 3 ps3's and 3 copies of the game. I'd imaging there will be support for similar on the ps4, but not really practical.

It's a problem of video horsepower, they'd need to engineer in a ton of excess graphics power to support 3 screen on a single console and only a fraction of users would actually use it. They'd have to charge more which would hurt sales a lot more than it'd help, so not practical on a single console.

3. Str8shooter

Str8shooter Formula 3

Jan 31, 2011
    Orlando
    I don't know about the PS4 but my guess for the Xbox One is that with the new Kinect always on and all the stuff they are doing in regards to game sharing and games tied to one account made it difficult to run 3 consoles with 3 kinects and 3 discs or Digital downloads tied to one account.

4. SPEEDCORE

SPEEDCORE Four Time F1 World Champ

Jul 11, 2005
    Full Name:
    Toe Knee
    Looking at the specs of both video cards, they are more than capable of doing triple screens @ 1080p.

Horse power isn't the issue, the fact is that 99% of people will never have a 3 TV set-up. It just adds cost to a system that's already losing money.

Even on PC, 3 monitor gaming set-ups only represent 1% of the market(check Steam hardware stats Steam Hardware & Software Survey ). Most PC gamers have either a single or dual setup.

5. BlackBird007

BlackBird007 F1 Rookie

Feb 22, 2010
    DFW
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm not disappointed at all. I keep my games on one screen.

6. climb

climb F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2006
    Atlantic Beach Fl
    Full Name:
    Stuart K. Hicks
    The cue ball has moved. Both these systems are dinosaurs before they've even hatched.
    Too expensive games and too many constant updates almost make me loathe turning on my PS3. Downloading one and two dollar games to the ipad and smartphone is where it's at now. Brings back that intimacy I used to feel playing games on the PC but even better with touch controls.

Just my opinion.