3809GT for Sale? | FerrariChat

3809GT for Sale?

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by SefacHotRodder, May 5, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. peter5

peter5 Formula Junior

Aug 13, 2005
    NoVa
    Pretty car, but could they take worse photos next time? The background on those isn't distracting enough.

Peter

2. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
  3. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    I'd rather have the GTE.

4. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I've always wondered why the nose on it was slightly flatter

How much do you think its worth?

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    That's an interesting question. No big history, non original/non GTO typo engine/ poorly repaired nose. Real GTO. Keeping in mind it's not my cup of tea I'd bid 4 but someone might pay up to 6.5?

What do other's think?

6. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
    Seeing that a Picasso went for $95.2 on Wednesday, I'd say your estimate is probably within the rounding error.

Anyone have a date and price for the last GTO to change hands?

7. nunzio828

nunzio828 Karting
    Honorary

Jun 11, 2004
    Full Name:
    mikey
    napolis is right in the pocket for that type of car
    heard of / saw first hand of a $14 mm net offer with 5% above for comm
    on another one. 1st qtr 2006

8. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    WOW!~ and to think my neighbor Mike Tillson had three for sale 30 years ago for 6-10k he couldn't unload talk about ROI! :)
    Erik

9. shill288

shill288 Formula Junior

Feb 24, 2005
    West Coast
    Full Name:
    Steve Hill
    I'd have to check my notes, but when I was offered the car, I think it was quoted at $11M Euro. I thought it was too much money for the (lack of) history. It's a third tier GTO.

10. Martin D

Martin D F1 Rookie

Nov 7, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Martin Dietz
  11. SefacHotRodder

SefacHotRodder F1 World Champ

Dec 20, 2003
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Yes, thats where those pics were taken

12. JonBrent

JonBrent Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2003
    Heaven on Earth
    Full Name:
    JB
  13. iwanna860monza

iwanna860monza Karting

Sep 19, 2004
    Did anyone else scroll down on the Hamann Web page and see the other Ibing cars that are for sale ?? Only just about every great Maserati ever made. LOL
    So what to make of this, I find it very interesting to see when a Car Owner sells all of there great cars, I mean apart from running out of money or major change in what you love, why would you. Perhaps Napolis might shed some light on what drives a collector to buy and then sell everything.
    I ask this because for many years Mr. Ibing has appeared in Classic and Sportscar with his classic Maser's and really looked like he was the good keen car collector. I hope he hasnt left this mortal coil.

Tim

14. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    There are no easy answers to that question. There are many reasons some simple some complex. That said IMO the chance to buy a real special car or painting is rare and as more collectors put more great things away for ever the chances get futher apart.

15. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    I personally talked to Hartmut Ibing, whom I know since about 30 years, last Thursday at Brescia (during the Mille Miglia, on 11 May 2006). I specifically asked him if his 250 GTO #3809 GT is for sale or not. His answer is a very clear NO, it is not for sale. He also says that NOBODY is authorised to offer any of his cars on a website. He was very surprised to learn that his cars have been put on a website and says he will undertake legal action. Ibing, however, plans to sell his Maseratis but none of the Ferraris. Some of his Ferraris he owns since more than 30 years now.
    Marcel Massini

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Thanks for info. As always buyer beware...

17. nunzio828

nunzio828 Karting
    Honorary

Jun 11, 2004
    Full Name:
    mikey

mr m and mr g
    i had a "representative" contact the website directly. for generic information only. essentially his response was that the car on his website was Not the car for sale just an example of one. the gentleman indicated that a very good / upper third quality type car was quietly for sale in the at least $14 mill or higher range. of course he would not disclose the vin number except to a known buyer or a buyer who could prove the ability to purchase. not just the representative calling on behalf of an unknown individual.

18. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    I see. Bait and switch...

19. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    But there isn't anything to switch to? Right? If they were trying to pass off a fraud by offering for sale a car they don't have selling a GTO probably wouldn't be the best car to pick IMO. Is there really a GTO that they have for sale? They could have done what some autotrader ads do, and just take "stock photos" or some shots of a similar car to try and sell their car. Nunzio828 did your representative feel like they actually "had" a car available.
    Erik

20. nunzio828

nunzio828 Karting
    Honorary

Jun 11, 2004
    Full Name:
    mikey

yes definately felt that a real car was quietly on the block. albeit on the bait and switch..... agreed w/ mr g. absolutely..... he clearly could /responsibly should have chosen a less abrasive method than the one utilized.
    i am sure anyone with any asset would not like to see their asset in the news as being for sale, just to represent a like kind asset available for sale

21. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I am with you there if I were the owner of 3809GT I would be more then pissed, but at least there is a "real" car available. So, do any of the Seriel number experts care to guess which car is actually available?
    Erik

22. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Guys IMVHO if there was a real 250 GTO for sale I believe it would have been offered to me among others...

23. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    I believe after rereading through this thread that the whole thing seems fishy however I don't think anyone would really try and sell a 10+mill car without actually having one, but then again what do I know I am only 20 :).
    Erik

24. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Disagree completely. I HIGHLY doubt that a "real" 250 GTO is actually available. This whole thing is the usual b.s. and a joke. Don't be naive, guys. A car with a value of 10 to 14 M $ does NOT sell thru a website, trust me, I know.
    Marcel Massini