Looking for a 330GT 2+2 | FerrariChat

Looking for a 330GT 2+2

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by xpensivewino, Oct 27, 2009.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xpensivewino

xpensivewino Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Any leads on a 330 GT 2+2 would be great. I have seen the e-bay car at symbolic, but 75K seem pricey for no book tools etc.., and a color change car. The blue project car on e-bay also has been sold. I know of one other in the US in Alabama #5827, a blue on red car, reasonable price of 50K. My guess is I should buy a fully sorted and restored car, or older resto...any leads and advice would be appreciated. Will a budget of 60-70K buy a nice example?

2. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
  3. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    That depends on which model. An early 4-headlight Series I is lsomewhat less valuable than a 2-headlight series II. Other differences include A/C, power steering, pedal placement. These are just differences that are reflected in market value, but you might even prefer an earlier car that would cost less initial money, although they all cost about the same to maintain.

4. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Symbolic has my friend's car on their web site. Red/black two head light model...

5. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City

How about a link?

6. billnoon

billnoon Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 22, 2003
    La Jolla, California
    Full Name:
    Bill Noon
    We sold and delivered ours yesterday. No others on there way at the moment.

It was a nice car and really spectacular driver. Someone spent a lot of money in the Chicago area at some of the better Ferrari shops there.

Normally most of the 2+2s that I see have little to no service work or restoration.

This one had a nice set of recent and older files on the care and time spent on it.

Cheers,

Bill Noon

7. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe

John Kelly (Big Horn in the forum) has one that I think may be for sale. You should contact him.

Jack.

8. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    Thanks for the info so far...Keep it coming

9. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
  10. 12659

12659 Formula Junior

Oct 6, 2005
    Seattle WA. USA
    Full Name:
    mark
    I think there is one for sale in Seattle. Rob has one that is red/black nice shape 2hl. Kerry knows.

11. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I would sell 9453 if someone was seriously interested.

12. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'm curious. It seems like very few 330 2+2s are changing hands. If any. Is that the case?

The Ferrari Market Letter hasn't had one for a long while.

Aside from Kerry's site, where else are these cars being sold?

13. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    I can attest to that!! not much out there for series 1's, ofcourse when you want one, it seems like there are none on earth...I do see an interesting trend, perhaps someone could comment. It seems that you can find a number of $40-50K cars that are in need of conciderable resto or work. Then it seems that all the other cars jump immediately to $80-110K. It seems that the $60-70K market is nearly non-existant. Now I do believe that a fully restored car can command the $80K mark right now. The 100k cars I think are using a bit of wishful thinking in this market. However there must be a number of cars for sale that are not really "full" ground off restorations, but are trying to fetch that $80k mark because they are in good to very good condition. It seems to reason that a well maintained car with perhaps an older resto, should fetch perhaps $65K. A true restoration car that has had the entire car rebuilt with fresh engine, and gearbox, evey nut and bolt etc. etc., could command the $80-85k mark. Unfortunately the term restoration is used a little too losely, and that may be why we don't see so many changing hands. Some people buy a $40k car and put $8k into paint and $8k into leather interior, and a lot of Armorall and say the car was "restored" and ask $90K.

14. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
    There is also the psychology of trying to buy a car for a price you think is fair but the market doesn't quite agree. Who is right? Anyway, I would think you will find very few, if any, nut and bolt restorations on 330GT's. People who own 330GT's (and I'm one) aren't -usually- going to spend $200,000 on a car so they are not going to spend $150,000 on a nut and bolt restoration. It seems like you are going to have to rejigger how you are viewing the 330GT market. Those $80,000 cars you feel are worth $60,000 might actually have buyers at 80.

15. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
    In the couple of months, I'm pretty sure that 5 have sold:
    5763, 6499, 8283, 8523, 9033.
    That's actually quite a bit more than usual.

16. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    You may have taken my comment in the wrong way. It just seems to reason that with a bottom dweller series 1 at $40k and a top notch car at say $90k, then you would think there would be some in the middle, but it doesn't seem to work out that way. Anyways I will just stay focused on the task at hand, and that is finding a fairly priced 330GT to drive and enjoy. As always something is worth what someone is willing to pay...

17. tomberlin

tomberlin Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2005
    Bethesda
    Full Name:
    tom berlin
    FML lists 6427 @$50,000. It looks to be a car with great potential, but if you put 10k each into the brakes, interior, paint, chrome, and sundries you're at $100,000, and you haven't addressed the mechanicals yet. I just don't see it, or would rather wait for one that's already been done.
    6911 is on E-Bay for the fifth time, has been bid to $50k twice, has a buy it now of $79,000.
    It's a former parts car that at one time didn't have a motor, and at a minimum it needs paint. And it's not the original color. I would argue that puts the value at $50K.

On the other hand, my poor attitude is probably the reason I don't have one.

There are too few for sale to assess values, and once a dealer gets one it can be held on to seemingly forever. They appear to so rarely change hands before a dealer gets involved.

As Tongascrew says, just my opinion.

18. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I'd be curious to find out what the selling prices were for the later cars.

If I could find a top notch car for $90k, meaning a fully restored Series II, I would replace my 330 with one. Show me a car like that car at that price (that's not yellow or resale red), and I would buy it.

But I don't think I can. Which is why I'm hesitant to sell my car. I can't easily replace my current car with anything as good when I have seller's remorse. ;)

19. xpensivewino

Silver Subscribed

Jan 26, 2008
    Simi Valley CA
    Full Name:
    Need to know basis
    If I could find a top notch car for $90k, meaning a fully restored Series II, I would replace my 330 with one. Show me a car like that car at that price (that's not yellow or resale red), and I would buy it.

$90K seems to be tops for the series 1's. A top notch series 2 is about $120K, I think, or atleast thats what the asking prices are. I've seen a few series one cars that have been for sale in the low 80's, for well over a year, up to 2! This would suggest that the cars are over priced. When I sold my 348 Spider, I had it sold in one month, because I priced it for what the market would bare, but there are other people who have had the same 348's for sale for a year or more, and still believe that they are gonna get $60K, it just aint gonna happen. One thing is for sure there are nice cars that are still changing hands, just not at break neck speed. Patience will win out with this buy.

20. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    xpensivewino,

At the height of the market, project 330s were $40K - $55K. Prices now seem to be about the same.

If a known car that is done with known, quality work comes up for sale in the $90K - $120K range, you will need to move quickly. At that price, you get the car and part of the restoration for free.

I bought my car with a 'rebuilt' engine - if you go to the May 2008 restoration diary section of Tom Yang's website, there are pictures of the inside of my engine, you will see what 'rebuilt' can mean.

I'm sure that deals do come up, just make sure you know what you are getting.

Good luck in your search,

Art S.

21. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Black one two head light just listed on Ebay in WI...

22. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
  23. yale

yale Formula Junior

May 2, 2004
    New York City
  24. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    Looks like someone just did. The Wisonsin's car's auction has ended.

25. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Re 8523: This car has changed hands several times since I talked to Ferrari of Newport Beach about it two years ago, after my 330 total and getting insurance check from Hagerty.

This was before I discovered I couldn't get agreed-value coverage for two years from anyone period because of the total, a ticket, and a couple of very minor single-car (driveway backup) mishaps in our 4Runner.

Looks like the current owner rebuilt the trans. Nice car.