Wayne Carini full of **** on Bonham's 250 GTO | FerrariChat

Wayne Carini full of **** on Bonham's 250 GTO

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by rob lay, Jan 28, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rob lay

rob lay Administrator
    Staff Member Admin Miami 2018 Owner

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
  2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  3. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Now why would you doubt anything seen on TV ?
    Next, you'll probably claim things I've read on interweb forums are not all true ?

4. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Just about everything on Velocity is crap.

5. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  6. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I like the show, but myself and anyone that participated on FerrariChat in this thread beforehand will know that he was full of ****. The average viewer will think he's a genius for predicting the future, especially since most thought it was going for $40-70 mm and only 4% of pretty knowledgeable people thought it would go for under $35 mm.

In Wayne's favor, I would say he's more knowledgeable than 90% of posters here, but we have many guys as up or more so on the market.

More proof to my theory he was full of ****, he's a broker and ALLWAYS pushing the boundaries and setting new markets for cars. It isn't in his nature to be that far under general expectations on a car.

7. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    I think you have his number, Rob.

I'd love to see him match wits with the FerrariChat brain trust.

Matt

8. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

is Miami tow not real either?

9. geno berns

geno berns F1 Rookie

Oct 26, 2006
    Midwest
    Full Name:
    Geno
    Wayne drove up in a beautiful silver 4 cam to the track at Palm Beach during the Cavallino events. You should see how many people asked him to take pictures with him. He is officially a celebrity!

10. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    Against my better judgment, I will offer a couple of thoughts:

1. Wayne Carini has my congratulations for his success in promoting himself and his business. He is very effective, and I am sure has reaped financial benefits from his hard work. I applaud his foresight and efforts.

2. He is not highly knowledgeable about Ferrari's. This is demonstrated often on his show.

3. I was present for the ten days leading up to the craziness of the auctioning of the GTO at Monterey. The GTO OWNERS that I spoke to prior to the auction all speculated the car would sell for $30-40 million. A few insiders expected a price approaching the high 40's. What surprised me was the almost unanimous feeling that the car would be held back significantly by the death in it's history. Many owners felt that buyers, other than American's, would heavily discount the car due to it's history. Also,if you examined the car, it was pretty much a "rat", that had been used hard and not well cared for. I realize that a restoration is not a high percentage of the value of a GTO, but the presentation definitely had an effect on the price achieved.

11. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
    The most surprising part for me, as well. A death in racing, while a truly tragic event, was not uncommon. Interesting that you say many buyers other than Americans would be deterred by this – is there a reason for this? Americans don't believe in bad juju?

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    I am an American and there is definitely bad juju! In fact isn't all juju bad and all mojo good?

13. mtmilam

mtmilam Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    Full Name:
    Mark Milam
    #13 mtmilam, Jan 28, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Of course He's a celebrity....We watch him every morning drinking coffee in bed, before getting ready for work....It was Hilarious when my Wife and I saw him at the Track at Cavilino and During the show....We HAD to get a Picture.. :D:D:D

We were signed up to run on the track...but got there to late for the Driver's meeting....So my wife just got a picture with the Helmet on :D:D It was a great time, the 430 even got Platino.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    +1 on both counts I was surprised about his lack of knowledge on the knock on spinners on the Verde Daytona Spyder restoration episode.

I do like the show though especially as it seems to be the only classic car show that does not feature men with tattoos arguing about restoring muscle cars with impossibly tight deadlines.

15. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    I might concede then that Wayne was around this buzz ahead of time. The buzz here at FerrariChat was months ahead of the auction and the death not talked about as impacting all that much, a few users mentioned that.

16. bigodino

bigodino F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 29, 2004
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Peter den Biggelaar
    I have to say that a lot of times early on in the show Carini took a loss at auction, to the point where I started to question his knowledge of the market.

17. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    ...was a phrase Wayne uttered way too many times when he presented cars for sale. I agree that it appeared he always overpaid and undersold....at least in the 'early years'...until the market action proved him a savant!

Jack

18. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #18 El Wayne, Jan 29, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    If you take a look back at that thread, you'll find that a number of us were emphasizing not only the death of Oreiller, but also the shear amount of destruction and reconstruction that this particular car has endured.

19. bitzman

bitzman F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Feb 15, 2008
    Ontario, CA
    Full Name:
    wallace wyss
    I'm taller than him.

Also I only saw one episode of his show but I liked the way in that episode he went to an auction with the old car (really old red thing, American) in the auction but had a few cars parked around the streets with for sale signs so even if he didn't make a good price at the auction he had back-up sales potential going.

Also last time I saw him, in Scottsdale 2015, he was happy about a barn find he had made locally, so even with all the insiders feeding him cars, he still gets out there poking his nose into barns to find stuff by himself. He is still into the joy of the hunt.

About those other shows, I don't know the name of the guy with the bandanna but I can't believe he can just knock on someone's door and get permission to start filming right from the outset. I think he does contact people who have an interesting car parked outside but I believe he first knocks on their door and gets permission and then the "initial meet" is restaged to look like you can just go and intrude on anyone's life with a camera crew.

About those two bearded guys in Texas who restore cars in a few days (or make them hot rods) I enjoy it when Richard, the salesman part of the duo, goes to an auction and looks visibly sick when the bidding stops going up. But I wonder how he hornswoggles the other bearded guy into doing all the work, including 24 hour stints getting a car ready. I also like the episode where they bought a smashed supercar Ferrari (F40!) and were shocked at the prices of body panels and such. They knew about then that they were quite a ways from '55 Chevys...

20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    If I were sellign a car, Wayne would be a good place to start, he clearly has the celebrity and customer base to go with it.

His site has an eclectic range of cars, including things like ERA cobras, a sure sign that he is a real enthusiast. But his prices can seem high, so maybe a better place to sell than buy. But he also has a public reputation, so my guess is his cars are "honestly" described, which is a great thing and probably worth some extra $$$.

As to the GTO. Yes its been crashed hard, probably more than once as have others.
    Many historic race cars are chassis plates with a few bits of old metal and attached provenance on a "rebuilt" ie new car. There is a peckign order in terms of degrees of origionality, and thertefore value.

Wasnt there a guy in Texas who sold his GTo and bought the entire Kroymans colelction in Holland with the money, a collection which included a lesser GTO. The bub at the time was, yeah its not so origional as the one the texas guys sold, but corrospondingly way less $$$ and he still gets to drive a GTO at all hsitoric events, plus the rest of the collection to use and sell.

Point is there are huge value differences between GTO's, depeding on race histoiry, crashes, rebuilds etc, and probably an auction is also not the place to sell one, yet all can be enjoyed equaly.

Whats interesting is the ammount of money people will pay for a new build with old data plate, kinda indicates the market is distroted from the reality of the thing being sold when it comes to historic race cars.

21. StephenB

StephenB Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 12, 2007
    S Florida
    Full Name:
    Stephen Bruno
    They film several estimates and cut in the one that makes them seem smart.

I watched them film Keith Martin at Amelia last year about what the red Daytona would sell for and they filmed two different estimates.

22. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Geee....! :(
    btw.- do we know where the car is today?

23. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Yes, it went to a well-known U.K. collector.

24. rob lay

rob lay Administrator

Dec 1, 2000
    Southlake, TX
    Full Name:
    Rob Lay
    bam, and there it is for you!

25. babci

babci Formula Junior
    BANNED

May 19, 2011