330 LMB #4381 SA coming to 2016 Rick Cole Auctions Monterey | FerrariChat

330 LMB #4381 SA coming to 2016 Rick Cole Auctions Monterey

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Terra, Jul 7, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #1 Terra, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Rick Cole Auctions - featured-vehicles

Should be interesting to see what it brings. The previous time it sold (2011), it fetched about one-third of the then-price of a good 250 GTO Series I LHD.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Does not have the best race history of the LMB's due to the DNF at Lemans, but it is such a special and rare car and left hand drive unlike the sister car that did finish Lemans:). The political issues in England and Europe might effect lesser cars but I don't think this car will be hurt to much, but you never know.

3. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    In between it lost its original body (1964) and was later (1980) re-united with the LMB body.
    Last sold early 2016.

Marcel Massini

4. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I love the LMB. Maybe more so than the 62 GTO.

5. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #5 Marcel Massini, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    Hagerty values the group of 4 330LMB in the mid $30 million... while big money, still a reasonable value regardless of individual provenance... only 4 examples... represent a shift in design paradigm in the transition from front engine to mid / rear engine race cars... various economies / central banks of the world have diluted the value of many currencies... net adjusted values in a constant currency make Hagerty valuation reasonable in spite of the elevated number... a good hedge for the store of value in a world of negative interest rates and continually diluted currencies

7. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Wonderful car although not so sure about those wheels which look too modern, strange to take it to Rick Cole, I am pretty sure their 2015 sale was a disaster since they refused to release any sort of results list, even to their media agents. Congratulations to them on getting such a great consignment.

8. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    #8 Terra, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
    Please explain why only five years hence, its value, in relative terms, would grow from being circa-1/3 of that of a good Series 250 GTO LHD, to 2/3 of said car?

9. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    It ran with those wheels at Goodwood. It was a long time runner in the TT Revival and usually a front runner in the early part of the race but would fade with tyre and wheel problems (broken spokes on the Borranis). They fitted those wheels in the later years at Goodwood and was much more competitive culminating in a win.

10. GG Allin

GG Allin Karting

Nov 11, 2007
    Mega Millions is $540 million tomorrow. Perfect timing, this and a McLaren F1 will complete my collection.

11. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Thanks Matthew. Good explanation. I Wasn't saying I didn't like either the car or the wheels, just didn't look right. While I love the style and sheer voluptuous nature of the 250 GTO body, the 330LMB is equally as desirable in its own way. Its the Audrey Hepburn to the GTOs Marilyn Monroe......

Cheers
    Tim

12. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    I had the great pleasure of driving 4619, many years ago. Absolutely the sweetest driving car I have ever experienced. That, together with such style, should make it one of the top-selling cars. And rare. But the market is what it is, so don't expect miracles.

13. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    Did my lotto guy lie to me? Told me I had the winning ticket.

14. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Re-united with new body or original LMB body?

Pete

15. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
  16. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I agree with Timothy. Cole seems an odd venue for this car.

I've always favored the 330LMB over the 250GTO. It's such a beautiful shape, far more rare than its older sister, and a better performer, too....but seemingly without the magnetic panache and legendary period racing history of the GTO. If I absolutely had to choose...it would be the LMB.:)

17. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    there are almost 10 times the number of 250 GTO that were made available and campaigned
    allowing for more exposure and familiarity to those following the 250GTO... had as many 330LMB been available. they could have possibly enjoyed equal or better success and recognition... regardless the 330LMB is a very enjoyable model to drive... it has a solid place in the history of the Ferrari marque

18. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Not really. The 250LM was the true racing successor to the 250GTO as a purpose built race car. The 330LMB was a race car made out of a road model ...

The GTO also raced against the Cobra, and therefore is part of the Ferrari legend. Of course nowadays we see cars like this car and the competition version of the 275GTB and Daytona as great road cars or classic meeting cars, but in the day the last front engined model designed and built for racing was the GTO, and it deserves it's special place in history.
    Pete

19. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    330LMB was directly developed from the GTO with a slightly lengthened chassis and the engine developed for the 330LM/ TR. It was only truly developed for Le Mans '63 and fitted with the Protoype rules as used that year. It did share its chassis tipo with the 250 Lusso but otherwise it shared no meaningful parts. That is both my understanding and straight outta Keith Blumels 250 GTO book.

20. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    On Ferrari's website they define both the Scaglietti bodied cars now often referred to as the 330 GTO and the Pininfarina styled cars now referred to 330LMB together as the 330LM. Is that the term used to enter the cars at Le Mans in 63?

Ferrari 330 LM (1962) - Ferrari.com

21. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Well we need to remember that the GTO and Lusso chassis is pretty much the same anyway, other than length :).

But still a development of a road car into a race car ... Does anybody know why they built them at all?, did some very rich person fund them, etc.?
    Pete

22. Daytonafan

Daytonafan F1 Rookie

Oct 18, 2003
    Surrey, England
    Full Name:
    Matthew
    From general reading it was thought the body shape might promote a higher top speed at Le Mans.

I wonder if there was also some desire from Pininfarina to see their body design racing as well, when the GTO was an in house/Scaglietti effort. The Pininfarina Lusso/LMB body style was also fitted to one 250GTO 4713GT

23. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    there were a couple of 250 GTO chassis equipped with the 330 engine... easily identified by the large hood bulge needed to accommodate the larger engine... known as the 330GTO

adding to the mix there was 250GTO built with the 330LMB green house, giving the look of the 330LMB

these subtle mixes leads to much confusion to those that don't look closely

24. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    don't know where you are getting your misinformation... the 330LM was never built as a road car... it was built as a full on race car as a temporary stop gap measure to fill a void that would be filled later once the rear/mid engine cars were ready for prime time... the 250GTO was outgunned by the competition and no longer competitive, there was a quick need for more power / performance leading to the 330LMB to fill the gap in the remaining events before the next generation of cars would take over

25. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    OK, here are the facts.

1. The 330LM Berlinetta chassis is unique. It is a Tipo 574 chassis with a 2,500 mm wheelbase

2. The gearbox is unique. It is a Tipo 574 unit, NON-synchromesh 4-speed.

3. I my memory is correct, for 1962, the FIA announced a new class for Experimental GT Cars up to four liter engine capacity. This was to try to get more manufacturer participation in the major long distance races. This resulted in the Maserati Tipo 151, Aston Project cars (211, 212, 215) and the 330 LM Berlinettas.

4. Admittedly a sore spot with me, but my research has never shown the factory (in the day) to refer to a car as a 330 GTO. ALL the four liter GT cars were always called 330 LM's ( NOT 330 LMB).

5. The Tipo 574 chassis is most similar to the GTO chassis in design and components. However, many parts are specially designed for these cars.