Gooding Pebble Beach Ferrari 1603GT | FerrariChat

Gooding Pebble Beach Ferrari 1603GT

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by Timmmmmmmmmmy, Jul 20, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    The latest consignments to Gooding include the following;

Ferrari 166MM Touring Berlinetta #0046M
    Ferrari 250GT Boano #0613GT
    Ferrari 250 California Competizione #1603GT
    Ferrari 250GT 'Short Wheelbase' #1759GT
    Porsche 550A #550-0145

More to come no doubt

2. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    #2 Timmmmmmmmmmy, Jul 21, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
    Also announced by Gooding are

250GT 'Short Wheelbase' #3359GT
    Alfa Monza #2311218
    Bugatti Type 55 #55-213

3. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    0046M is glorious.
    4 cam in Nocciola is beautiful.
    A (the) real Monza would round out the group nicely.

4. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    I would gladly have any of them but my favorites are the California, ex Le Mans SWB and the Bugatti.

5. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Some of these sellers are still in cloud cuckoo land given the estimates on a few of those lots.

6. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    I was on their website yesterday. Thought it a bit strange that within the month, they seem to have removed all "estimates" for cars that have a reserve set. Only non reserve cars now have viewable estimates without having to contact them. Or did I read it wrong? Maybe.

Strange Either way. The vintage Ferrari line up looks fantastic. It should be a blast!

7. nschots

nschots Formula Junior

Jan 7, 2011
    Buenos Aires.
    Full Name:
    Nicolás Sch.
    And RM Sotheby´s yesterday published 0507 GT and the AMAZING Alfa 8C 2900B Lungo Spider by Touring, both owned by Sam & Emily Mann.

8. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Either you looked at only the first page... or they have since corrected it.

Most of the cars have estimates. On the front page there are cars that say estimate upon request. Now I tried to find some similarity between the cars to see why they would have it. Value? Nope... cars with prices all over the place have upon request. Same collection? Pictures are in different spots.

The easiest thing for me to determine was the ones that don't have estimates do NOT have lot numbers assigned yet. So... they were probably just rearranging and you caught them in the middle of an update or something.

9. Timmmmmmmmmmy

Timmmmmmmmmmy F1 Rookie

Apr 5, 2010
    NZ
    Full Name:
    Timothy Russell
    Wow, thats amazing. Will be a huge year. Can't wait to see what results may come. I personally believe that we are seeing the beginning of a crash and people are cashing up while they can. Yes estimates are still very high, very surprised that both Gooding SWB are estimated so highly BUT I wonder what the reserves are. Most reserves are around low estimate territory but it will either be a blood bath or a situation of taking whatever deal you can get. Anything other than the most special is selling at a 20 - 30% discount over 2014 pricing and as Marcel said there is currently 8 SWB for sale on the market, Gooding makes it 10.

As for the comments on reserves I didn't notice that although I suspect anything over x has the please enquire which gets a potential bidder to call and enquire which begins the sales pitch and ensures that from a very early point the conversation on who might buy and what price begins. I am aware that some auctions are already completed before they begin, 290MM #0626 was a useful example where RM's best client purchased at reserve...... Again just wow, this will be the biggest Monterey ever OR a bloodbath

10. readplays

readplays Formula 3

Aug 22, 2008
    New York City
    Full Name:
    Dave Powers
    The Miller Locomobile Junior 8 is a great car. The 2.9 Alfa speaks for itself. I will be watching with interest and concur with Tim's assessment- it sure will be interesting to see where things price out next month.

11. Platini 289

Platini 289 Karting

Sep 21, 2015
    Plenty of interesting items remain unsold since Barons Auction on July 12th 2016. These include a 1953 and also a 1954 Bentley Continental R Fastback. Of the 7 Ferraris offered, 5 remain unsold. Out of 34 lots offered in total, just 6 cars were sold. That’s the facts – interpret as you see fit. Here’s a link to the results Barons Auctioneers

12. Platini 289

Platini 289 Karting

Sep 21, 2015
  13. tilomagnet

tilomagnet Formula Junior

Sep 26, 2010
    Im looking forward to the Alfa 2.9 spyder. What a car! This example has a bit of a murky history typical for cars that made it through South America, but I think there is genuine consensus that the major parts including the Touring body are the real deal and chassis and body may have left the factory together originally.

14. stevewak

stevewak Karting

Jul 31, 2006
    UK
    They are a nice bunch but in the same league as Bonhams, let alone RM or Gooding. I would not read too much into this.

15. PSk

PSk F1 World Champ

Nov 20, 2002
    Tauranga, NZ
    Full Name:
    Pete
    Probably not actually intending to sell and have been asked to supply their cars to add a few to the event.

I know that happens over here in NZ ... makes the event interesting, they test the market, etc.
    Pete

16. wbaeumer

wbaeumer F1 Veteran
    Consultant

Mar 4, 2005
    Sorry to say - but for me cars with Barons are the usual stuff that comes on auction. Nothing special IMO.

For me definitely not the same league than the cars offered by RM, Go&Co and Bonhams in the Monterey weekend.

Will be interesting to see in which direction the fantastic Alfa 2.9, the Maserati Frua-S and Ferrari Monza and Cal.-S-Comp. will sell.

Ciao!
    Walter

17. Terra

Terra F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 16, 2004
    Far from the case here in the U.S.

18. Platini 289

Platini 289 Karting

Sep 21, 2015

Granted I am comparing apples with oranges, regarding the sales platform and car condition. However, in 2014 the right Bentley Continental R Fastback would have sold for £1,000,000 here in the UK. The point I am trying to make is market sentiment is dismal. It'll be very interesting to see whether the Monterey auction circus can ride the storm. We'll soon find out!

19. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
    #19 NYC Fred, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017