What Should the Price Really Be??? | FerrariChat

What Should the Price Really Be???

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by George Vosburgh, Aug 18, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. George Vosburgh

George Vosburgh F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    #2 El Wayne, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Cannot comment on fair value, but want to capture images and information for future reference (after that link is no longer valid):

330 GT 2+2 s/n 6169

Image Unavailable, Please Login

3. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    What is top market for one? 350?

4. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    #4 330 4HL, Aug 18, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  5. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    I agree ! Watched yours here & BaT......I see no problem (except no buyers?) with your
    (historically) listed $290.

Did you ever sell?
    Really looks like a great car (yours); not GW!

Jack

6. cheesey

cheesey Formula 3

Jun 23, 2011
    phunny, it doesn't seem that many years ago these cars were just used cars, rejected by some by having 4 headlights selling for sub $5000.... time flies as do the prices... add up the cost to bring her back, compare total cost to current market and make the decision... buying a high quality restoration can be a better value with the benefit of instant gratification

7. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed

#7 George Vosburgh, Aug 19, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
    My point exactly! And I can't believe this car is still for sale. If it stays up here long enough I'll have the money together to buy Rick's car!

8. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    It looks like a relatively easy restoration (if there ever was such a thing), but still you can easily spend the equivalent of 50k on just getting it back to a good driver condition, and that is assuming no big surprises hiding inside the drivetrain. Double that if it has to be nice. So if the current market for a nice one is supposed to be at 225, 125 would be a good price. I do have some doubts on using BaT as a price reference point.

9. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I wonder if it even has a drivetrain. The transmission appears to be missing based upon the interior shot (or the shifter needs a little blue pill :)) and there appears to be no weight in the front of the car based on ride height.

I don't think the red door panels are correct, but the interior actually looks somewhat clean (if it was cleaned, that is).

10. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    #10 166&456, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
    Peter, it says "motor is out of the car", nothing about a transmission though - the text does say it is complete so if that is true there should be a complete drivetrain. The motor should match based on the presented information, hopefully the rest is complete and matching too.
    Always questionable that it comes separate, chance of issues.
    Sometimes you never know. I have bought very good cars that came with a separate engine which were just apart because the owner figured he'd start restoring it and believed removal of the engine to be the best starting point; only to realise to have bitten off something quite a bit more than bite-size. Still a bit of a pain since hardly ever such cars are truly complete to the last nut and bolt, and these details can take a lot of time. A few missing small parts such as brackets, clamps, linkages or special fasteners already makes a good search party.

11. peterp

peterp F1 Veteran

Aug 31, 2002
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Apologies, I didn't see the "description" tab in the ad, so I thought there were only pictures and you needed to call for more info. Agree with everything you have stated above. This car doesn't look bad. The body looks straight and doesn't appear to have a ton of rust -- at least based upon what can be seen in the photos. If the plan is to do a total restoration, then there isn't too much difference between buying a mediocre car intact or a complete car that is disassembled as long as the numbers match. As you say, the key is to know the state of the drivetrain and to know whether all the parts are really there (because tracking down a large number of little detail parts on a 330 can take an eternity).

12. 166&456

166&456 Formula 3

Jul 13, 2010
    Amsterdam
    It takes someone a little masochistic to embark on this. The issue with a car like this is the risk, the effort to eventually get it the way you want it, and the fact that you cannot enjoy it! At least, not yet.
    If you can get it for the discount it deserves, you do have the opportunity to use this Ferrari everyday for a while if you are so inclined. I don't mind to drive a "rat rod Ferrari", there is a certain class to that. Also, the full restoration process can be quite a pain, the logistics, dealing with restorers, etc. If you can drive it before, it gives you the chance to think about how you want it and also bond a little with the car before you start that journey.

And last, because once cars reach perfection status, imho their usability goes down and it will be more difficult to use it casually. At least to me that is the case - I already have a few of such cars.
    Viewed that way, this could be a lot of fun. Unfortunately the price to me seems somewhat prohibitive of that.

13. 330 4HL

330 4HL Formula 3

May 12, 2005
    Vancouver
    Full Name:
    Rick Bradner
    well I can certainly vouch for that last remark!! - LOL

At the ask for this car, it seems to require rather too much.

The only reason I did my car is because I've had a relationship with her for 24 years and felt a responsibility to return her to her former glory before passing her to a new custodian. Ultimately rewarding, it was at times however a time consuming, expensive, and frustrating experience.
    Patience Grasshopper, patience...

14. Simon1965

Simon1965 Formula Junior

Feb 8, 2011
    HKSAR
    Full Name:
    Simon
    The issue with these cars is that unless your entry price is low enough you are at risk of over capitalizing these cars. They are full on V12 historic cars and so some of the costs associated with restoration to a nice standard are kind of the same whether is a 330 GT or a 250 SWB. And so if your doing a full not and bolt restoration you may as well invest that cash into a higher value car. BUT As a custodian of a nice 330 GT I can say that you just love the car and do the work and. Don't worry about costs or value.

On the topic of costs/ values I'm guessing most of you saw that 2HL 330 GT go for USD 737 Including buyers at the acuction in Monterey?????

15. George Vosburgh

Silver Subscribed