bb 512 engine | FerrariChat

bb 512 engine

Discussion in 'Vintage Ferrari Market' started by wintrader, Nov 23, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. wintrader

wintrader Rookie

Dec 22, 2010
    Same guy has two engines.. Anyone know value of such an engine.. did not run for years. with carbies.

2. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    Again my two cents in the "worth" of engines...

IF someone NEEDS an engine, it's all hands on deck, otherwise, unless it's a super rare or important car, it's only worth what someone's willing to pay, likely $4-7K maybe

3. ferraripete

ferraripete F1 World Champ

$4-7k for a carb boxer engine? that seems like a good deal assuming it has no non factory "inspection holes".

4. CornersWell

CornersWell F1 Rookie

Nov 24, 2004
    If they're fresh, low-mileage and fully-built engines (all internals and ancillary equipment), I'd say in the $30-40K range. Subtract any "going-through" costs to get them running, if they're not in that state. I have purchased several fully-built, bare and long-blocks over the years for BBs as spares for our race car. The last I bought was in the $25K range. Basically a new long-block with only break-in miles on it, salvaged out of a burned car. Maybe I overpaid, but I'm good at that basis.

One can argue that it's only worth what someone will pay for it, but call Ferrari and ask Classiche what it would cost to produce one for you. Staggering, I'm certain. If you need it, it's worth more than if you just want it. I, however, have never felt comfortable low-balling a seller.

CW

5. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I'd start by asking this in the Boxer section.