Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > Vintage (thru 365 GTC4) - Sponsored by Vintage Driving Machines

Share/Bookmark LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2004, 06:27 AM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Thomas Buckley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seve
A quick google search came up with the following:

"Millionaire oil heiress Sandra Ilene West was buried 19 years ago in her lace negligee behind the wheel of her powder-blue 1964 Ferrari in a funeral that included a yellow crane to lift the crate containing her and her car and lower it nine fee into the ground, two cement trucks, a construction crew and coast-to-coast headlines. She stipulated the burial arrangements, down to having the car seat "set in a comfortable position," refusing to pass on a single cent of her inheritance unless her instructions were followed to the letter." Her grave is marked by a plain slab in the Alamo Masonic Lodge Cemetery in San Antonio, Texas. (Source: Rust, Carol. "Buried in Texas." Texas August 4, 1996.)"

I live near San Antonio so it probably made the news hear more.
My Mondial came from San Antonio. Sometimes, when driving at midnight, i feel a ,,,,,presence.

Tom
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 01-15-2004, 03:45 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by spook64
330 GT Registry:

S/N Description Body No Eng No Int Eng No RHD Euro A/C P/S B/S Option
Transmission Type Original Exterior Color
Original Interior Color
Comment
5055 330 America 5055 Yes
*(snip)*
Purchase
Sandra West 1
San Antonio TX USA
Other 1977 Buried in car in San Antonio, TX. Car was damaged/not driveable
Sandra West
San Antonio TX USA
Curious...it says the car was damaged and not driveable...did she wreck it and die from that?

Sorry, but I think what she did is stupid...if you love the car that much, would you really want to kill it like that and rob others from enjoying it? She sure did die young though. Sad. Surprised nobody has tried to dig up the car. Is it encapsuled in cement?
Old 01-15-2004, 03:46 AM
Formula 3
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Mitch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMJ575M
There's a very short clip of the burial at the start of the video 'F For Ferrari'. I saw this story years ago on the news and found it hard to believe at the time.

JMJ
I would like to see this...where can I find that video?
Old 09-08-2006, 11:58 PM
F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Handsome Bacon
I just watched something about this on the History International channel. Anyone gather any more information since this thread - ahem - died?

What would this vehicle be worth now? The show said it was "powder blue" and encased in concrete. They showed photos of the burial. What would likely happen to this vehicle after all this time in a sealed concrete vault buried 6 feet under?

Here's Time Magazine's Obit:
Posted Monday, May 30, 1977
Like Egypt's King Tutankhamen, who had a couple of golden chariots buried near him when he died in 1352 B.C., Californian Sandra Ilene West is journeying to the hereafter in style. Oil Heiress West died two months ago (the cause has not been determined) at the age of 37. Last week Mrs. West was buried, as she requested, "in my lace nightgown ... in my Ferrari, with the seat slanted comfortably." At the San Antonio cemetery where her husband is also buried, several hundred awed spectators looked on as a gray-painted wooden crate, 6 ft. by 8 ft. by 17 ft., was lowered into the ground by a crane. To deter any grave robbers cum 1964 Ferrari buffs, the crate was covered with concrete. And so another gas guzzler bites the dust.
From the May 30, 1977 issue of TIME magazine

Creepy.

RMX

Last edited by REMIX; 09-09-2006 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-09-2006, 12:14 AM
Formula 3
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Gregory
I remember this story. I think I also remember a picture of the car being lowered into the ground, but I have no idea where I saw it.
Old 09-09-2006, 11:07 AM
F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Don
There is more information on the forum on www.tomyang.net, including several pictures I had not seen before. You may have to scroll down a bit to find the thread.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:21 PM
F1 Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by red81308 View Post
Not quite as long ago,(10-15 years?) someone was buried in an,I believe,'84 Corvette. I think that the car was White. I don't know if it was a man or woman. But,it had to have happened after 1984. Damn copycats! Lets hope that this doesn't become a trend with old people. But,then again,maybe drive up the prices of the ones that don't get buried.
I have the article somewhere , it was a white 1984 Vette, with custom rims, and very nice. It was a man, the license plate said "BYEPAL". All of the fluids were drained, he was cremated & put in the seat. Concrete was dumped on top of the car. I remember also seeing somewhere that a lady was buried in a MGB.
Old 09-09-2006, 01:53 PM
Six Time F1 World Champ
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Bubba
I never followed up with the flowers and the AGIP oil...want me to run by REMIX??

As far as I know it'd still be there, thanks for the info on her inspiration...
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 09-10-2006, 05:12 PM
Formula 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by REMIX View Post
I just watched something about this on the History International channel. Anyone gather any more information since this thread - ahem - died?

What would this vehicle be worth now? The show said it was "powder blue" and encased in concrete. They showed photos of the burial. What would likely happen to this vehicle after all this time in a sealed concrete vault buried 6 feet under?

Here's Time Magazine's Obit:
Posted Monday, May 30, 1977
Like Egypt's King Tutankhamen, who had a couple of golden chariots buried near him when he died in 1352 B.C., Californian Sandra Ilene West is journeying to the hereafter in style. Oil Heiress West died two months ago (the cause has not been determined) at the age of 37. Last week Mrs. West was buried, as she requested, "in my lace nightgown ... in my Ferrari, with the seat slanted comfortably." At the San Antonio cemetery where her husband is also buried, several hundred awed spectators looked on as a gray-painted wooden crate, 6 ft. by 8 ft. by 17 ft., was lowered into the ground by a crane. To deter any grave robbers cum 1964 Ferrari buffs, the crate was covered with concrete. And so another gas guzzler bites the dust.
From the May 30, 1977 issue of TIME magazine

Creepy.

RMX

Wonder of any grave robber parts resellers have salvaged any parts
off the car? Probably had a nice V12 in it. Shaunessy? j/k

A pick axe and a few shovels you could tunnel from underneath

Last edited by J.P.Sarti; 09-10-2006 at 05:14 PM.
Old 09-10-2006, 05:33 PM
F1 Rookie
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Martin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prugna 328 View Post
I remember this story. I think I also remember a picture of the car being lowered into the ground, but I have no idea where I saw it.
guess it was showed at Ripley's Believe it or Not ... or such program
Old 09-10-2006, 05:38 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Robert Garven
My Garage
i remember her being in a pink nightgown and thought the car was a spyder. I was born in SA. and remember this story.
Old 09-10-2006, 06:39 PM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Steven Huck
SANDRA ILENE WEST (1977) was buried seated at the wheel of a Ferrari. -Sandra Ilene West was burried in her light-blue 1964 Ferrari 250GT. -19 May 1977: Mrs Sandra West is buried in San Francisco according to the terms of her will: "next to my husband, in my lace nightgown . . . in my Ferrari, with the seat slanted comfortably." -In the late 1970s, Ms. Sandra West was laid to rest in San Antonio in her nightgown behind the wheel of her Triumph. -Sandra West, buried in her Ferrari 330 America in San Antonio, TX. -Last week Mrs. West was buried, as she requested, "in my lace nightgown ... in my Ferrari, with the seat slanted comfortably." ...and on and on with her buried in a designer gown, evening gown, night gown, etc. The stories are all short and all over the place as far as accuracy is concerned. Here is what seems to have happened for sure; In a "Deal or No Deal" sort of will, Sandra West tasked her brother-in-law, Sol West to bury her in her 1964 powder blue Ferrari 330 America. She was to be wearing a specific outfit, either an evening gown, designer gown, or lacy nightgown and the seat was to be reclined at a "comfortable" angle. The car was to be encased in wood, steel, and concrete (they say two truckloads). In order to make this happen, Sandra's will stated that Sol would get over $2,000,000 if the wishes were carried out. If not he would get $10,000. After going to court to try and get out of it, Sol was obliged to bury his sister in law in her car. The car and Mrs. West are in a 9 foot deep hole filled with car, concrete, etc. in Alamo Masonic Cemetery at San Antonio, Texas. The simple grave marker does not give a clue to what is underneath. Husband and wife are now side by side. Both died at very young ages. Ike West Jr., 1934-1968 Sandra West, 1939-1977 Masonic Cemetery Link
Lincoln - default - -
Old 09-10-2006, 07:42 PM
F1 Rookie
Rossa Subscribed

Full Name: Robert Garven
My Garage
how inconsiderate. i have asked that my ashes be added to the frame rail upon my death that way i can enjoy more rides, unless the new owner is a jerk and shakes me out!!

Rob
Old 09-11-2006, 06:58 AM
Formula Junior
Non Subscribed

Full Name: stijn quintyn
the car was encapsuled in a wooden case, and then 2 trucks of cement were poured over that.
so, no cement directly on the car

just imagine the spooky sight that must be underneath this plaque...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sandrawest.jpg (6.1 KB, 1496 views)
Old 09-11-2006, 07:05 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Steve.
What condition would that car be in now?
Old 09-11-2006, 07:07 AM
F1 Rookie
Banned User

Full Name: AndrewG
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fan512bbi View Post
What condition would that car be in now?
And does anybody have a hammer and chisel we could borrow?
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 09-11-2006, 07:11 AM
Formula 3

Her grave seems to be a very popular site, also stated the car was a 250GT not a 330

http://www.angelfire.com/tx3/carolrust/buried.html

Last edited by J.P.Sarti; 09-11-2006 at 07:13 AM.
Old 09-11-2006, 07:17 AM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Non Subscribed

Full Name: Steve.
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewg View Post
And does anybody have a hammer and chisel we could borrow?
I bet the smell of leather would be great
Old 09-11-2006, 08:05 AM
Rookie

down there

It's damp. The car wouldn't smell real good. At current Lusso prices (if it IS a Lusso), hard to justify getting it out. Plus, it's highly illegal. You get more than a ticket for grave-robbing, I think. I wouldn't want to find out.

Now, if Lussos keep appreciating, someone may try to get it out of there. Maybe they'll argue "she just wanted to be buried in the car, she didn't want it to STAY there...."
Old 09-11-2006, 08:10 AM
Formula 3

If you could get the car running again I am sure Sandra West wouldn't mind going for a ride, there was a old pic of her somewhere and she looked attractive but now probably resembles the Crypt Keeper.Might have a bit of a struggle prying her fingers off the steering wheel