Big Bazooka - 0320AM restored | FerrariChat

Big Bazooka - 0320AM restored

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Doug Nye, Mar 15, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    #1 Doug Nye, Mar 15, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    I thought you might like to see the 1953 Ferrari 375AM Berlinetta - chassis '0320' - as just restored to near-original Le Mans 24-Hours body form by David Cottingham and Clive Smart here in England. In period it was driven for the factory team by no fewer than three World Champions, Dr Farina, Alberto Ascari and Mike Hawthorn - and it was also pedalled by 'Gigi' Villoresi and Umberto Maglioli - so there's a pedigree and a half straight away.

From the Spa 24-Hours forward it had run with a droop-snoot allegedly 'aerodynamic' nose section which destroyed its body's original Pinin Farina-styled balance and aggression. It won the Pescara 12-Hours in the modified 'aerodinamica' form, co-driven by Hawthorn/Maglioli and, after the original front end was damaged while in subsequent US ownership, the body was restored with a lookalike droop-snoot nose which to our eyes was even less successful than Maranello's first effort.

Well, now '0320' is back to virtually its original form for the first time since July 1953 - almost 55 long years ago.

We're not seeking praise, but to my taste the old car now looks just INCREDIBLY horny!

All photos Copyright: The GP Library

DCN
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Wow, Doug, that is awesome. A very sympathetic restoration, judging from the pictures. Wonderful to see cars like this treated so well.

Is it going to be entered in any events this year? I would really like to see it fly past in the Mille Miglia!

Onno

3. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    More chance of seeing it blasting around the Highlands of Scotland at the end of April, or running in the Goodwood Festival of Speed come mid-summer... The Mille Miglia retro lost its attraction for many Brits several years ago - once endured, not to be repeated! - but I do appreciate your sentiment, it would indeed look (and sound) great storming the Radicofani or the Futa...

DCN

4. JazzyO

JazzyO F1 World Champ

Jan 14, 2007
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Onno
    Fair enough, I might see it at Goodwood one time. Great events in their own right - thoroughly enjoyed both of them last year.

Onno

5. GIOTTO

GIOTTO F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Dec 30, 2006
    FRANCE
    #5 GIOTTO, Mar 15, 2008
  6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Looks great!!Was the cockpit painted grey like that when it was being raced???

TT

7. mroz

mroz Formula Junior

Nov 1, 2003
    California
    Very nice. I havent seen that many louvers on the hood of a 375. Looks good.

Do you have any period pictures?

8. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
  9. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    #9 T308, Mar 15, 2008
    Doug,

Thanks for posting! Question for you, do you know when/where this photo was taken? I know that the rear wheel arch vents changed on these cars (I believe 0318 didn't have them when first shown, then got the louvered style shown on 0320 today) and I think this photo shows 0320 with a single "big vent" not louvers. Perhaps a test day prior to LeMans? No fogs fitted, etc.

I believe the photo is by Corrado Millanta.

10. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    It's not horny enough. It needs one more "horn" on the knock-offs. Then it'd be properly horny indeed!

11. Arvin Grajau

Arvin Grajau Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 7, 2006
    Wurundjeri man.
    Full Name:
    Arvin Grajau
    +1

12. pastmaster

pastmaster Formula Junior

Feb 5, 2006
    Alma, Michigan USA
    Any comments about the 3 wipers, one on the roof? What purpose did this serve? I presume there was a problem with the normal 2 wiper configuration? Did the Alaskan Rains, overpower the standard equipment? Did I miss something about this?

Beautiful pictures of the Ferrari and Alaska! Thank You! :D

Ciao...Paolo

13. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Thanks Doug,

It looks just like a 250MM. Any engine bay shots? Is carburetion 3x2 or 3x4 on this one? It lived in Colorado for a while (Sutherland). Didn't it?

14. Damien Duigan

Damien Duigan Formula Junior

Mar 14, 2005
    Sydney, Australia
    Full Name:
    Damien Duigan
    G'day all,

Thanks for the superb pics Doug, always nice to see a high quality restoration of a significant car. Was Shapecraft the company who did the nose?

From my notes on 0320, the droop-snoot was damaged in a road accident during the ownership of Mark Schellenberg, a Continental Airlines pilot from Denver, Colorado, who bought the car from Chinetti in late 1955. The local body repair shop of Charlie Lyon changed the shape of the nose, with a wider, narrower grille opening and extended headlamp fairings plus no air vents under the headlamps.

Stephen Griswold later restored the car before selling it to Bob Sutherland and it underwent another restoration for Jerome Sullivan by Wayne Obry's Motion Products in the mid-1990s.

Cheers, Damien

15. Ed Niles

Ed Niles Formula 3
    Honorary

Sep 7, 2004
    West Hills, CA
    Full Name:
    Edwin K. Niles
    Great car; great pix! To answer the question about interior paint, I remember ONE of these cars (no idea which) with tan paint to more or less match the seat color. I ended up painting the interior of 500 Mondial 0434MD grey because I couldn't find anyone, including every old racer who would listen to me, to "remember" what was correct. I suspect that either would be OK.

16. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Hi Ed. This car's interior was certainly in a buff-coloured primer at one stage in its long life, traces of a semi-matte grey beneath. The 'Grant Piston Ring Special' 375 single-seater had a buff cockpit interior at Indy in 1952, and when we rebuilt it three years ago for its present owner he so detested the buff that we sprayed the interior surfaces semi-matte grey instead. Historically inaccurate, but forgiveable I believe, since it looked good...and believable, whereas anybody seeing the ochre colour might be forgiven not only for doubting that we had got it right, but indeed for throwing up...

In just the same way that both the Maranello Concessionaires Dino 206S and GTB/C were painted in the wrong colours when delivered fresh from the factory to their first races, subsequent owners used the correct Cambridge Blue which Colonel Hoare had specified, and which Maranello had screwed-up. To present the cars accurately as upon their maiden outing would today mean replacing what most seem to consider the gorgeous combination of Cambridge Blue and Rosso Corsa with a nasty Ferrari dark mid-blue and Rosso Corsa, which in contrast frankly looks - and was - 'orrible.

Similar modest liberties have been taken with the body spec of this car - to owner taste - but there is evidence of the interior having been a racey grey, rather than a hacienda ochre... The body spec today is historically inaccurate in some respects, but nevertheless a nice job overall. The huge rear scoops actually used at Le Mans would not only look improbable but could be asking for trouble in all weathers on the public road today. So mildly bending history, admittedly, but - we feel - entirely justifiable.

DCN

17. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Thanks for the cockpit color information. Its always good to pick your brain for
    information as you know the correct answer.

Best,

Tom Tanner/SD

18. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    Bravo to the owner for actually driving it on public roads!

19. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Avoiding it going off them could be the tricky bit...

DCN

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Great Job! Great Car! A very simpatico Road Rally the owner may want to consider is the Giro d'Sicilia/Historic Targa Florio in early June. It's really fun and the sound of your car engine echoing off those ancient stone walls is something that stays with you for a long time.

Best

21. Tarek K.

Tarek K. F1 World Champ

Sep 7, 2006
    Cairo - Egypt
    Full Name:
    Tarek K.
    Beautiful car.........well done, an excellent restoration.

22. T308

T308 Formula 3

May 12, 2004
    Southern Cal
    No congestion charges off road!

23. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    #23 Doug Nye, Mar 18, 2008
  24. John Vardanian

John Vardanian F1 Rookie

Jul 1, 2004
    San Francisco Area
    Full Name:
    John Vardanian
    Can there be anything more awe inspiring than those 4-choke carbs and the leaning mags?

25. Doug Nye

Doug Nye Formula Junior
    Honorary

Jan 21, 2008
    UK
    Well to be truthful a 4-cam V12 on six twin-chokes or fuel injection usually does it for me...as does a Porsche 917 flat-12 boxermotor...or the 1920s Delage V12s or straight-8s...or the Ferrari 1512 flat-12... But I do appreciate what you mean.

DCN