Go Back   FerrariChat.com > Model Specific Discussions > Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2017, 04:04 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by TTR View Post
And to be more specific, but hopefully not terribly inaccurate, my understanding is that factory didn't really make any of the vintage era production cars.
Bulk of the assembly and fabrication was "out-sourced" to coachbuilders like Scaglietti, Pininfarina, etc. while "the factory" only installed the running gear and perhaps some other mechanical components, but I could be wrong since I was never there to see all this in person.
yeah when I say "factory" in this case I mean the coachbuilders for this car - Scaglietti.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-04-2017, 06:34 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Timo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davemqv View Post
Yes, sorry. I did not mean finished cars were cut into spiders by the factory. What I have heard/read/thought was that unassembled coupe body parts were cut/modified into spyders BEFORE being put onto chassis/frame.

So in other words, an unfitted coupe shell would get it's roof cut off and be modified into a spyder before it was assembled onto the chassis ?
No, Spyders were made from scratch. Even their bare chassis were built with extra reinforcements and some of the space frame structural sections used stronger materials.

Well, technicality even Berlinetta bodies were built from scratch with various semi-finished sections fitted and welded individually on to their respective chassis & space frame structures, hence a door, a hood or a entire front clip, etc from one car may not fit another without serious reconstructive fitting and trimming efforts. Not to mention, unless they've been subjected to severe reconstructive restoration and inadvertently made so, there's nothing symmetrical in their original coach work.

Last edited by TTR; 05-04-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:10 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTR View Post
No, Spyders were made from scratch. Even their bare chassis were built with extra reinforcements and some of the space frame structural sections used stronger materials.

Well, technicality even Berlinetta bodies were built from scratch with various semi-finished sections fitted and welded individually on to their respective chassis & space frame structures, hence a door, a hood or a entire front clip, etc from one car may not fit another without serious reconstructive fitting and trimming efforts. Not to mention, unless they've been subjected to severe reconstructive restoration and inadvertently made so, there's nothing symmetrical in their original coach work.
Interesting. Thanks guys for the re-education!
Old 05-05-2017, 09:06 PM
Formula Junior
Not Subscribed

Here's another conversion to which someone pointed me:

NJB Automotive, Exceptional Ferrari Service and detailing in Ohio

I guess that Edward96GTS's assertion that these cars are pretty much worthless ("coupe price - cost of reconverting to a Berlinetta") isn't true in this market, as they seem to trade/ask in the $700K range. He is correct that they can't be Classiche Certified, so they're no fun to own, nor drive. Therefore, in the AM i'm gonna crush my alloy-bodied, gorgeous conversion Spyder, #14047. steve

Last edited by steve meltzer; 05-05-2017 at 09:07 PM. Reason: apparently, spellling does count!
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-06-2017, 12:36 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Grant
This is the sequence they made the Daytona's body's at Scaglietti.
Chassis frame was first made on a jig. Then it was place in production line clam shell jig. Next some of the frame work was added but not all, the rear section of the roof frame was left off to facilitate the fitting of the fibre glass tub [ coupe] and bulkhead [ both Spyder and coupe]. Then the supporting frame work was finished. Lots of the under wings ancillaries were now added such as the heater control box and vent pipes before the front clip, Windscreen frame, sills rear clip, roof [ coupe] and lastly doors. These are just the main points, there were lots of smaller parts added at various points. I would say at a rough guess there were more than 100 differences between the Spyder and coupe, from the chassis to the springs, fuel tanks, door glass, etc, etc. Here is a photo from a French mag of a almost finished body, the fibre glass shown in pink.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12037%20jig.jpg (57.8 KB, 345 views)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:55 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheels1 View Post
Chassis frame was first made on a jig. Then it was place in production line clam shell jig. Next some of the frame work was added but not all, the rear section of the roof frame was left off to facilitate the fitting of the fibre glass tub [ coupe] and bulkhead [ both Spyder and coupe]. Then the supporting frame work was finished. Lots of the under wings ancillaries were now added such as the heater control box and vent pipes before the front clip, Windscreen frame, sills rear clip, roof [ coupe] and lastly doors. These are just the main points, there were lots of smaller parts added at various points. I would say at a rough guess there were more than 100 differences between the Spyder and coupe, from the chassis to the springs, fuel tanks, door glass, etc, etc. Here is a photo from a French mag of a almost finished body, the fibre glass shown in pink.
Thanks Grant!
Old 05-06-2017, 09:59 AM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Thanks, Grant. I've seen that and one or two similar fixture/jig pictures before, perhaps on your restoration thread, but would love to know which magazine/issue that is so I could try to find a copy.
Do you or anyone else know other similar Daytona coach work assembly pictures or photos taken at Scagliettis at the time ?
I would love to find cause evidence to all the common asymmetrical discrepancies I hinted about before and been collecting supportive documentation for years. My research and reverse engineering analysis suggests they started during space frame assembly, before sheet metal installation.
Old 05-06-2017, 12:41 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Grant
I have around 10/11 Timo.
They were copies I bought from the Klemantaski collection at $65 each 10 years ago.

I do not have the right to reproduce them before I get asked.

http://www.klemcoll.com/image/69PC30A-14A.aspx?page=1 ask for other similar photos.

If you want I can take a look for the French mag, but it will have to wait for a while, we are off on mini grand tour with the FOC to France, Switzerland then Italy for the start of the MM next week and I need to figure out how to fit my wife's stuff in the car, that's with the Owners club carrying a big bag for us!
Old 05-06-2017, 02:11 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
I have around 10/11 Timo.
They were copies I bought from the Klemantaski collection at $65 each 10 years ago.

I do not have the right to reproduce them before I get asked.

http://www.klemcoll.com/image/69PC30A-14A.aspx?page=1 ask for other similar photos.

If you want I can take a look for the French mag, but it will have to wait for a while, we are off on mini grand tour with the FOC to France, Switzerland then Italy for the start of the MM next week and I need to figure out how to fit my wife's stuff in the car, that's with the Owners club carrying a big bag for us!
Thanks Grant.
I'll look into Klemantaski archives. No hurry on the mag.
Enjoy your tour, sounds like a great one. Are you riding modern (comfort) or vintage (style) ?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:22 PM
F1 Veteran
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve meltzer View Post
Therefore, in the AM i'm gonna crush my alloy-bodied, gorgeous conversion Spyder, #14047. steve
May as well-- apparently it's worthless without a $four figure red book$.
Old 05-07-2017, 07:17 PM
Karting
Not Subscribed

Full Name: Greg P
So, what about the actual 'valuation question'?
Old 05-07-2017, 07:46 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

looks like the one at Fantasy Junction has sold. Asking price was 725000. I suspect it probably went for 650000-675000.
Non-Sponsor Ads
Old 05-07-2017, 10:34 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnk View Post
looks like the one at Fantasy Junction has sold. Asking price was 725000. I suspect it probably went for 650000-675000.
The one at Autosport designs is listed at 675k. It was listed last year at $875...so prices are dropping at about the same rate as the coupes.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:58 PM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: chuck coli
Talking

At $675k Still over 5x what they were when i looked at 6 different ones in 1999...my how times change.chuck

Last edited by bighitter2; 05-19-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Adding content
Old 05-19-2017, 01:18 PM
Two Time F1 World Champ
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: Andrew Menasce
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitter2 View Post
At $675k Still over 5x what they were when i looked at 6 different ones in 1999...my how times change.chuck
and 2x from 5 years ago. This one was $350k,which was more than a coupe at the time and reason why we passed on it. Oh well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 526266_10151445950220284_851854875_n.jpg (58.8 KB, 152 views)
Old 05-19-2017, 03:09 PM
Formula 3
Silver Subscribed

My Dad had this one converted by Dick Straman back in 1980 [or so]. Euro version with plexi headlight. The car was bought in Vancouver shipped to CA for the conversion/refit/paint. When complete he and my Mom drove it from CA to DE through snow, sleet and everything else. As noted in the picture this car was for sale at the Rick Cole auction in Monterrey in August of 2016. I don't think it hit the reserve. I did have the pleasure of driving that car back in the 80s and 90s. Gorgeous it was.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screen Shot 2017-05-19 at 4.03.04 PM.jpg (51.8 KB, 130 views)
Old 05-25-2017, 10:27 AM
Formula Junior
Silver Subscribed

Full Name: chuck coli
Quote:
Originally Posted by bighitter2 View Post
When i was looking for a Daytona coupe i was told for same money could buy a spyder conversion...ALL that i looked at were 10-20% more than a coupe depneding on condition..i have found that CONDITION is what determined the price...a few were pretty ratty cars and 2 i found were high quality,fresh with low mlies since restoration (nut and bolt) those were the cars that were priced 20% over a coupe..i bought one of them.still have it.