250 GTE oil capacity | FerrariChat

250 GTE oil capacity

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by fiatosca, May 29, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    I realize that this should be a simple spec to uncover but the owners manual only lists the capacity in kg and I have discovered little info in my online searches. One site states capacity between 9-10qt and another says 11-12qt.

2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  3. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    I guess you've already seen the above page. Best ask Dyke, DWR46. The manual is confusing and I see why you asked.

4. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Anthony Pritchard's book The Road Ferraris the Complete Story states the sump and filter capacity of the 250 GTE as 18 pints (10.2 litres).

5. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    I start with 8 Qts. Run the engine and get it hot. Shut it off, let the oil run back down to the sump for a few minutes. Then top up the oil level to the max mark on the dipstick. Normally takes 9-10 Qts.

6. Jumprun

Jumprun Karting

Feb 7, 2012
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    T. Martinez
    Maybe the confusion is the difference between total capacity and the change amount.
    I've also found the oil level check procedure in the manual very confusing, probably due to the english translation. I felt I was initiated into the inner circle the first time I checked the oil (GTC) soon after shutting the engine down and severely burning my hand by foolishly grabing the bare aluminum handle of the dipstick. I didn't think how close the dipstick is to the red hot headers.

7. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
  8. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    So even quite a range here in this discussion. Manual says 17pt (8.5 qt) and Anthony Pritchard's book states 10.2 litres (10.8 qt).

9. DWR46

DWR46 Formula 3
    Honorary

Jun 19, 2012
    On an oil change, put 10 qts in the car, run the motor for a while, shut off the motor, and check the level after five minutes. You may need to add another 1/2 qt. to get to the full line on the dipstick. If you use the correct oil filters, they will drain down over time, so a dipstick check after overnight should show the level to be ABOVE the full mark.

10. fiatosca

fiatosca Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 20, 2013
    Bloomfield Hills, MI
    Full Name:
    Bob B
    I had let the sump drain for 30 min after brief warming. I put 10 quarts into the sump plus approximately .25 more into the standpipe filter but was concerned that I might have overfilled based on some info I had seen online.

I was actually going to use a marine siphon to remove a quart or so, but based on Dyke's input I guess I will leave it alone and follow his dipstick check protocol.

11. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    That's why I only put 8 qts in to start with. 8 qts is more than enough to run the car with.
    Then I top the level up to the max line on the dipstick.

It is much easier to add oil when it is low than it is to suck/drain oil out when it is overfilled.