Daytona Side View Mirror | FerrariChat

Daytona Side View Mirror

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by steve meltzer, Jul 6, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    #1 steve meltzer, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    Well, the one from my car hit the freeway, free fall and is obviously in a google of pieces. Here are pictures of the base, which has some decoration to it and looks much different than some i've seen from various vendors. (those have a plain kind of base). Was this a dealer installed item or are there more than one correct style? (on my American car, there are threaded holes in the door so you don't have to fight with the backing plate and it's finicky nuts like you would on older cars). thanx steve
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Hi Steve,

I own 16733 which is a Euro Daytona. I have a picture of the car at the factory with the side mirror on it so I think its safe to say some came from the factory with the driver's side mirror installed.

My mirror, which I am guessing is original due to some ageing, is the same as you have pictured with the pimpled texture on the base.

I've never looked for a replacement.

Good luck - and kind of glad (please take this the right way) that you were driving the car when the mirror fell off vs. someone bumping it at a party.

Drew

3. 330gt

330gt Formula 3

Nov 12, 2004
    Seattle, WA
    Full Name:
    Kerry Chesbro
  4. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Well, it was a momentary shockeroo as I looked at the mirror, pointed downward, traveling at about 80 mph, or so, I reached out to correct the misalignment and BINGO, it hit the road and splattered. Luckily, nothing bad happened and I ran my errand, got to work and back home and she's safely parked now!

Kerry, thanx for your quick eye, and reasonably priced as well. Just need to check their CTC holes and I'll be all set. thanx again. steve

5. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
  6. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Drew Are you sure it was your car?

The only photos I have seen taken at the factory of Daytona's with door mirrors on have been Australian cars that had a rectangular mirror on. The rest were dealer fit as far as I know.

7. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    Grant - absolutely.

I'll PM you privately and send a pic.

Drew

8. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Grant, thanx for the info and a new parts source for my data base. Much appreciated. s

9. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Many thanks drew.
    Ps you can e-mail directly through Ferrari chat as well.

10. Drew Altemara

Drew Altemara Formula 3

Feb 11, 2002
    Tuscaloosa, AL
    Full Name:
    Drew Altemara
    #10 Drew Altemara, Jul 6, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    Grant,

This may be easier and perhaps informative for everyone.

Reference this thread:

http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/vintage-thru-365-gtc4/87720-daytona-s-n-16733-a.html

The gentlemen who took the picture contacted me and identified himself as a former importer to the southern hemisphere (I presume Australia). He had a rare Kodak Slide that he took in ~ 1973/1974 inside the factory that he wanted to sell me; the one in the link.

16733 Daytona was destination Swaters Belgium according FML.

I'm no expert on this stuff but 16733 is my car so I thought it interesting.

Drew

11. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    Many thanks Drew
    What were the chances of you finding that photo!
    Its very intresting to see the mirror on the spyder as well.

12. westextifosi

westextifosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 20, 2009
    Lubbock, TX
    Full Name:
    Tex Timberlake
    Steve,
    My Daytona - 12995 - was delivered new to Brescia, Italy in January, 1970. I have some pictures of the car taken in March, 1970 in front of the first owner's home. The car had no door mirror in those images. When I bought the car, it had been in the U.S. since the mid-70's and had a door mirror like the one on your car. It is interesting to see the picture of Drew's car at the factory with a door mirror, but of a different design even than the spyder next to it.

13. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    I think the rectangular ones were for the Australian market and the round ones for Europe.

I was always lead to believe that the round ones were dealer fit, but this late Spyder has one factory fitted, so it looks like a few were fitted at the factory to late cars.

14. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    thanx again for all of your help. will most likely get the one from Kerry's rec. s

15. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Before I even posted this, I had ordered a mirror from GT Car Parts in Az, hoping that what Bill had in stock, was the "pimply faced" one I wanted! Bingo it arrived this PM and is exactly like my old one. All set, I think. Thanx everyone! steve

16. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    yep, bolted right up. done in 5 minutes and looks like its predecessor. thanx steve

17. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    As I often hate to say " not so fast big boy"...the mirror from GT Car Parts looks great and fits perfectly...but can't be pivoted into a position where it will work. Bill at GTCP said that he would look for another mirror, but I suspect all of them come from the same vendor. Does anyone know if that's true? Bill also said when he was working for the dealer (not sure which one) the mirrors came in the trunk of the Daytonas and he installed them. I believe this to be true, because he said that they used a "backing" plate inside the door to which the mirror bolted. My mirror bolts to the door using "helicoils" (or some threaded equivalent).

Does anyone have any suggestions?? While in Monterey I noted that all of the Daytonas I saw had the same mirror, but I didn't check the CTC distances, nor have I had time to see if they were all mounted in the same place in relation to the quarter window. I might be able to move the mirror say 1/4" one way or the other (forward or rearward), cover the existing holes and drill new ones with helicoils, but I really hate to do that. Short of that, I have no idea unless I can find a vendor with a different pivot range. Not likely. thanx steve

18. MiuraP400

MiuraP400 Formula Junior

Feb 3, 2008
    Arizona
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Looking at the photos, it appears the travel of the mirror is determined by the mirror base. It also appears the mirror is screwed onto the stalk that sticks out of the base. Is it possible to unscrew the old mirror from the stalk and put the new mirror on the old stalk/base? If they are interchangeable it could solve the issue.

Taking a second look at the photo, it appears the mirror is not threaded so this idea will not work.

Cheers Jim

19. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    Jim, thanx for your efforts. I too have been wondering if there was some way to use the old base with the new mirror. I haven' looked at this in several weeks, hoping (against hope) that GTCP might have another, different mirror. This weekend I'll put my (eyes) to the grindstone. thanx again. steve

20. Wheels1

Wheels1 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 23, 2007
    UK
    Full Name:
    Grant
    They should have a brass backing plate Steve.
    Ferrari classic parts UK have them part number MC 3781/9 but the hard part is they are £278.39!!! I wouls try one first from Superformace as long as it could be sent back.

21. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    When the mirror fell off, I pulled the door panel in anticipation of removing the backing plate and those tough to access washers and nuts, but unlike my Euro Daytona conversion spyder, there was no plate, no nuts and NO ACCESS...the mounting area cannot be accessed through the inside of the door....window up or down. As I said, the mirror is mounted with threaded holes for the machine screws. Access or not, backing plate or not, i still have a mirror that mounts in the existing holes, but doesn't work properly. steve

22. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    ...Mirrors??

"And now my friend, the first rule of Italian driving: 'What'sa behind me is NOT important!"

-Franco

23. daytonaman

daytonaman Formula Junior

May 1, 2007
    Australia
    Full Name:
    howard pigdon
    Steve the stalk that holds the mirror is pressed into mirror surround. It can be pressed out but you have to smash the mirror glass out to get at it to press it out from inside.

24. steve meltzer

steve meltzer Formula 3

Sep 18, 2004
    with Enzo 8995
    hmmm. let me look at this when i get home to see if I can use part of one with part of the other. no easy, obvious solutions so far. thanx, Howard. steve

25. Colin Angell

Colin Angell Karting

Jun 17, 2004
    Hi Steve, I didn't say anything earlier because you seemed to have it sorted, but I do have a mirror (never been fitted) in my GTC parts bin. Happy to send it, just let me know.
    Colin