Count Giovanni Volpi on creating the Breadvan and GTO (excellent read for collectors) | FerrariChat

Count Giovanni Volpi on creating the Breadvan and GTO (excellent read for collectors)

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by CDM, Aug 29, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
    In 1961, I met Count Giovanni Volpi di Misurata at the Gran Prix of Germany at the Nurburing. We were both age 25. He later arranged for me to purchase a new SWB direct from the factory for $4100, My annual Air Force pilot salary was $3600 and I declined. I shared with Giovanni the boards comments about the Breadvan in another thread. He replied, and authorized me to share this letter with all of you, to set the record straight on the Breadvan.

Dear Gary,
    Thank you for the chat lines you sent me about the old Breadvan. Let me then make some sense, through you, for the authors of those chats:

The Breadvan was not designed by Carlo Chiti but by Giotto Bizzarrini, the inventor and constructor of the prototype GTO.

Second, if Bizzarrini had stayed at Ferrari and would have made an evolution of the GTO the following year, he would have made the Breadvan.

The point was to be faster, never to look pretty. The prototype GTO, which was only a transformed SWB, was considered so ugly by the Ferrari workers that they baptized it The Anastasia, a derogatory expression for ugly women in Modena jargon.

The Breadvan was made in an emergency as Ferrari recanted on delivering me the very first two GTO’s because of the ATS affair.

He (Enzo) called one day saying “You’re a traitor, forget the GTOs.” We never spoke again until 1980.

I called Bizzarrini who had already left ATS because of frictions with Chiti, who was intent on corridor jockeying, and he said “No problem, we can do a lot better.” And he did.

I left ATS soon after with Gardini (still the object of a Ferrari press black-out), the former Ferrari commercial manager who built both Ferrari and its image as much, if not more than Enzo Ferrari who ‘tolerated’ production as an unavoidable medicine.

ATS soon went belly-up. Chiti had managed to be king there, but the owners couldn’t tell the front end from the rear end of a car. They just fancied them ready-made and that is not enough.

Believe it or not, the drawings of the GTO, technical and style wise, were made after the car was built. The SWB was obsolescing, Bizzarrini knew it, and Ferrari asked him to make something, whatever he wanted, but on the cheap.

Bizzarrini locked himself with four or five mechanics in a side garage in the Maranello compound and tinkered with the only thing they had, a SWB. Cut, file, hammer and scrape, they came up in short time with the sorry-looking Anastasia.

The body was hammered in-house, no one had designed it. It only followed logically around what was there. But the car was faster because of the nose, the lower frontal profile and last but not least, the different inclination of the windshield, probably its principal feature.

The Californias were the first to tilt the windshield and easily gained speed on all previous models. It was as simple as that.

Ing. Alberto Massimino did it on the LWB California and years later built for me the first Serenissima, with Gardini.

The GTO was also somewhat lighter than the SWB and the dry oil sump which lowered the engine, lowering the center of gravity, and the 5 gears made it handle much better.

Bizzarrini left (was fired with all his colleagues) Ferrari very soon after, and the Anastasia’s lines (there are pictures around of the unpainted car) were slightly smoothed and the spoiler was added. Only then, when the car was finished, did someone make a drawing so not to seem incompetent.

Bizzarrini had three rules to this day. Distribute weight properly; be as light as possible within security, as low as possible, and present the least resistance to air. Nothing else.

Therefore, the Breadvan was the front-engine equivalent of a rear-engine car. We took the engine 12 cm. back (unlike GTOs), fitted 6 twin carbs (like GTOs) and diminished chasse on the front wheels unlike GTOs. The same engine push-back was done on the Tri. We could not procure a 5-speed box but 150 kilos less and almost no paint, which was a burden at the time, compensated that.

The engine was excellent as Gendebien (the former SWB owner) was always given about 30 horses more than the other SWBs (no wonder he won so often).

The body was designed by Bizzarrini, and not by Drogo who only executed it mostly on our premises as the car was needed there for other urgent work. I saw up to eight men in and under that car at the same time with arms and legs sticking out. We were not told about one mistake though. The main drive shaft had not been properly balanced by an outside workshop, just by a trifle.

At Le Mans ‘62 the organizers tried to prevent us from racing. First they said the car was not decorously painted. So we added a little. Then they were not happy because it did not have a rear wiper although the rear end would hopelessly be fuel, oil and rubber smeared after three laps by the Prof. Kant pushing-effect. We fitted one from a Topolino or a military Jeep.

Very pissed, not knowing what else to pretend, after that they would not let us into GT class. Chinetti was relentlessly putting oil on the fire because his precious GT clients could not match our lap times and might have questioned his influence (to favor them), the organizers were obediently at Ferrari’s service, and if we had insisted further we would not have raced although we would have won hands down at the Sports Tribunal.

So, we went into Prototypes and those were exactly who we were in the race with. In the first laps the Breadvan was already out of sight from the GTOs and the lead kept building up. She was with the rear-engined Ferrari protos.

Dan Gurney was on our TRi 61, which had just won Sebring with Bonnier-Bianchi, doing wonders. Jo Bonnier first lost places, Gurney got them back several times. All was going so well and at the 4th hour the Breadvan’s drive shaft gave in. Some time later one of the TRi’s half shafts broke. But that’s Le Mans for you.

Carlo Mario Abate, the best Italian driver of his time and one of the best in the world, was on the Breadvan with Colin Davis. He had tried a normal GTO in Italy, but after the Breadvan’s pre-race trials at Le Mans he said, “With this car you can paint!” so precisely it was doing everything he wanted.

A few months later, at the Ollon-Villars hill climb race, two GTOs withdrew when they saw us arrive, this time in GT class. Abate came in 4th, behind Jim Clark in an F-1 Lotus 21, Bonnier in a Porsche 8 cylinder F-1, and a wild Vaccarella in our Tri 61.
    Racing is a bit like the theatre. You work hard and with enthusiasm at home and when the starting flag goes down you’re kind of out of it and have to let the cards fall, there isn’t much you can do (in endurance races).

All I can say is that the Breadvan, mostly it’s making in less than 14 days and then its superb performance was by far the most intimate satisfaction of my racing years. And, I guess, also Bizzarrini’s for his own reasons.

In 1966 the Ford J was copied from it with a rear engine.

Why should it (Breadvan) be destroyed? For money that is not even guaranteed? To become one more of well over 100 SWBs? With a new, therefore fake SWB body?

The line suddenly seems quite thin between real and fake. If found out in the art business this would lead to handcuffs. Indeed, this is only about money, not at all about cars.

Later I used the Breadvan as a road car, looking during the long trips for some Ferrari to humiliate. It wasn’t fair, though. Those who had the money usually couldn’t drive them. That was before the freeways and it was a dream to drive it on normal roads without speed limits, especially in France who has by far the best paving.

On the road, there were also the Gunther Sachs episode and some days later the black and stripes painting by Agnelli who thought it looked like a funeral car (I was not there, and it was Sunday and the pot of paint was finished).

After a couple of years, as the very last thing anyone in the ‘business’ imagined was that the price of those cars would go up instead of down as it always did, I sold it (Breadvan) at $2,500 for a Dodge Polara wagon adding money. It could always be bought back for less later on and would free the space now.

The dealer kept it almost a year before someone deigned to buy it. Believe me, if anyone in the so-called business had imagined the future no one would have sold the cars.

I rotated 6 GTOs in pairs and was very happy to sell them for the buying price, as they were still competitive and so did everyone else, no exceptions. I even had a Porsche (the egg) F-1 destroyed because it was more expensive to haul it back to Modena from the factory. Maybe someone at Porsche did not finally do it, but that would be another story.

I sold the TRi 61, another great road car as reliable and simple as a Volkswagen like the Breadvan, in 1984 to Ralph Lauren for $450,000, a record price then. It didn’t seem serious to still travel at times, or go to the movies, in that way. I never understood why that very same car, one of 2 integral TRi 61 (the other was technically destroyed), being the biggest Ferrari winner ever, was worth less than any GTO of which there should only be 27 copies around although there are quite a few more, fake and with everyone’s connivance.

Later, I got a press clipping saying that one of my GTOs had sold in Japan for about $ 15 millions. The reason why people are willing to pay so much for something they will never really own, as the reason of being of those cars and their use has vanished with time, really beats me.

Really owning those cars is similar to still feeling them and doing with them what cannot be done anymore. In other words, we – I still own them, even if they’re sold. If I bought a stagecoach I would never experience what it was like, because the time has gone and whatever the reenactment wouldn’t even get me far from what it was.

You know that, Gary, you own your F-100 and your F-105. They may have given you trouble at times but you did both some great and serious things with them. With the Skyblazers and in Viet-Nam. That is why you own both those planes and the real human experience. That is also why you don’t need to fly them any more.

Gentlemen collectors, use those millions for something else if they burn your fingers. Good things like helping others, really helping people you might even know, because they do exist, with names and surnames, or make something useful with them. You’ll be proud of both acts and I don’t mean tax deductible gimmicks. That is not real giving. Giving has no strings.
    Unless you buy those cars just for the money which makes it business and a cold (but volatile) speculation like any other.

One more thing: Real women aren’t picked up anymore with cars, or planes or yachts for that matter. It is culturally obsolete, and the intrinsic quality of the eventual ‘pick-up’ is inversely proportional to the price of the vehicle.

Best,
    Giovanni (Volpi) August 2005

Dblebill likes this.
  2. El Wayne

El Wayne F1 World Champ
    Staff Member Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 1, 2002
    San Marino, CA
    Full Name:
    L. Wayne Ausbrooks
    Gary, thank you very much for posting that response. I am curious about one thing, though. If you have the opportunity, can you ask the Count to expound on this statement?

3. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    fantastic. an evening w/ the Count and a bottle of chianti would be absolutely unforgettable.

4. Dave330gtc

Dave330gtc Formula Junior

Mar 12, 2002
    NW Indiana
    Full Name:
    David Smith
    What a great letter that is. It really gives a different feeling to this whole Ferrari collecting and vintage racing thing. I guess if you were there from the start you would have a whole different perspective on this crazy world today.

5. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    absolutely right. Spend a few hours w/ Dick Merritt who couldn't give Dinos or Daytonas away during the gas crisis of the early 70s. It's nice to get the unromanticized view of the guys who were in the game 40, 50 years ago . . .

6. bobafett

bobafett F1 Veteran

Sep 28, 2002
    That was a FANTASTIC read! Thanks so much for posting that!

--Dan

7. tritone

tritone F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 8, 2003
    On the Rock
    Full Name:
    James
    Mr. Barnhill --
    thank you so so much for posting Count Volpi's letter! It is so wonderful to hear things straight from the original! What a refreshing viewpoint.
    I feel fortunate that we have the occasion to hear the man recount his experiences.......
    (it's only a shame that some persons are even suggesting that this historic car should somehow be changed to be more "authentic"......such little respect for the history we all talk so much about.......)

James

8. CDM

CDM Formula Junior

Oct 10, 2004
  9. Tspringer

Tspringer F1 Veteran

Apr 11, 2002
    WOW. Sold. I love the Breadvan! Nobody ever try to convert it back to a SWB or I'll sick NNO on them!

Terry

10. FarmerDave

FarmerDave F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jul 26, 2004
    Full Name:
    IgnoranteWest
    THREAD OF THE MONTH! :)

Thanks for sharing this with us, Gary!

11. Johnny Bravo

Johnny Bravo Formula Junior

Jul 22, 2003
    DC Metro/MD
    Full Name:
    Ben
    That was definitely one of the most interesting things I've read recently. So many times these days people only see these fantastic autos as investments & objects of lust that they forget the fantastic & rich history they helped create. I for one hope the Breadvan is kept as-is just for that reason alone.

12. 134282

134282 Four Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    ...HOLY ****... That was awesome... i'm speechless...

13. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    Great stuff!

14. Boudewijn

Boudewijn F1 Rookie
    Lifetime Rossa

May 15, 2003
    The Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Boudewijn Berkhoff
    Great story and great pics!

15. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  16. ArtS

ArtS F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 11, 2003
    Central NJ
    Gary,

Great story and great pics. In the pics, which one are you? Also, can you tell us who any of the others are?

Thanks,

Art S.

PS. We need Jim G. to add the breadvan to his collection. Then we can have Arlie tell us its a fake because it doesn't have its original body...

17. CMY

CMY F1 World Champ

Oct 15, 2004
    Redondo Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    You give him too much credit.. He'd start arguing against the harvesting of wheat.

IMHO, Jim G. is the only logical caretaker of that car.. this talk of converting it back to SWB scares the hell out of me.

C.

18. C'one

C'one Karting

Sep 27, 2004
    France
    Amazes me it's even contemplated..

Great read and an honour to read it,thank's.

19. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    He doesn't want it...

Wow, where'd that come from...? Who said anything about converting it back to a SWB...? This is news to me...!

20. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Fantastic Post!

The reason I don't want to own it has nothing to do with what it is. It is a very important car a real piece of history.

The reason I don't want to own it is that I really don't fit into it and wouldn't feel comfortable driving it. That's the only reason. I really don't want to own any cars that I can't DRIVE.

Thanks again for the post!

21. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
    Yes, i remember you saying that; i should've expounded... i'm still in disbelief that someone's actually considering changing the car back to a SWB...!

22. judge4re

judge4re F1 World Champ

Apr 26, 2003
    Never home
    Full Name:
    Dr. Dumb Ass
  23. JOEV

JOEV F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 6, 2003
    Ontario, Canada
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Brilliant post and letter from the Count. Possibly the best read I've ever had on FChat with priceless gems on cars, racing and life in general.

Wayne, Gary et al - please see if the Count would be willing to contribute to Velostrada. Can you imagine the stories and knowledge he can share?

24. 134282

BANNED

Aug 3, 2002
    California
    Full Name:
    Carbon McCoy
  25. sjvalin

sjvalin Formula Junior

Aug 31, 2004
    Nevada County, CA
    Full Name:
    Steve Valin
    Exactly! That was one of my suggestions to Wayne. I love reading Ed Niles accounts of the past. There are still a lot of other folks out there that also lived though the early Ferrari years. I believe we had better start getting these accounts down on a more permanent medium than mere memories while these legends are still with us! After all - the Ferrari legend and mystic is built upon all these experiences...

Count Volpi's letter is one of the best things I've read on this site! Gary, thanks for sharing it with us.

-steve