Black Fobs not working? | FerrariChat

Black Fobs not working?

Discussion in '348/355' started by khcompt, Jul 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. khcompt

khcompt Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2013
    Halifax, Canada
    Full Name:
    Ken Compton
    After shipping my 1999 355 spider from the West to the East coast, neither of my 2 black key fobs will initiate the 2 beeps required to disable the mobilizer and allow the car to start.
    Using the RED master I am able to get the 2 beeps then start the car with either of the black fobs.

> New batteries in all 3 fobs.
    > red lights illuminate in both black fobs when the buttons are pressed.
    > red LED on the dash is flashing as normal when the car is not running and is off when the car is running.
    > Both black fobs were working just prior to shipping the car which took about 7 days.
    > The car battery was almost flat when the car arrived after shipping. It did accept a full charge since and seems to be OK now

My question?
    1. Do I use the same procedure using the RED fob and the car's 4 digit PIN as outlined in the Ferrari manual to program new fobs, to reset the 2 original black fobs?
    2. Or is there a different procedure required to reset the existing black fobs.

Thanks
    Ken

2. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If the black fob goes out of synch, you stand from 100 feet away, press down the button on the black fob, keep it pressed, then walk to the car until the car does the beep beep.

3. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    That can't be right. It's too simple. How can Ferrari charge $487.56 for that?

4. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Either that or the black ones have not been used in awhile ?
    Hire the neighbor kid to sit there and press it, over and over.
    Hopefully it will "catch up" with the red one.
    I have one red and one black, I alternate them every time I start the car.
    It keeps them in synch or fairly close.
    On mine if I don't use one for awhile, it falls way behind.

5. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    I know ;)
    Nothing could be that simple or cheap on a Ferrari, but I am damn sure going to try it next time.

6. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    If you have 2 and one is a clone of the other, then it is not that simple. If you have 2 independent fobs, then it is that simple.

7. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Thank you, good clarification.
    I know my black one is a clone.

8. Rojo

Rojo Formula Junior

Jul 17, 2009
    Stillwater
    Full Name:
    Bob
    Perhaps the black remotes are for a different car - just thinking.

9. dougburhyte

dougburhyte Karting

Dec 28, 2005
    Full Name:
    Douglas Burhyte
    Ken - There's a procedure in the manual to reset these after changing batteries. I don't have the manual in front of me but I believe you need to push the fob button a set number of times at 1-second intervals up to some magic number (maybe seven?) and then the car should acknowledge with the two beeps. After that, it should be good to go.

Cheers,
    Doug

10. emac

emac Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 14, 2014
    upstate SC
    Full Name:
    ernest
    Interesting....I store my Red fob and spare black fob without the battery just in case the battery corrodes. I wonder if they will still work?

11. Beetle

Beetle Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2013
    I have never had to reset or do anything after changing batteries to either red or black fobs they just work????

12. vracer

vracer Formula 3

Jun 23, 2014
    NorCal
    Full Name:
    Richard
    Tony,
    The clone will have to be pushed until it catches up. That might be ??? times. I would suggest that should be done at a somewhat deliberate pace, but that gets hard after the 523rd time. Eventually I just bypassed the immobilizer, so I have two regular keys, but my fob still locks/unlocks both doors. There are threads & posts on the bypass.