Looking for a 612 | FerrariChat

Looking for a 612

Discussion in '612/599' started by TrojanFan, Jul 25, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #1 TrojanFan, Jul 25, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    I've posted on the Classified page under "Wanted" but I thought I'd throw it out here as well.

Looking for a private party (for tax reasons) '05 - '07 612. Prefer Grigio Silverstone or TDF (or Pozzi) with a tan interior. Other colors considered. Daytona's with color accent piping is more desirable. HGTS, HGTC or HGT2 package prefered. No salvage titled cars. Good service history. Will consider "higher mileage" cars priced accordingly. Cash buyer.

2. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Do daily searches on cars, cargurus and autotrader.

Just curious, in CA is the sales tax different depending on who you buy it from?

3. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    It took me about two years to find the right 612 for me. I used those 3 sites so that is a good suggestion. You can also subscribe on them so they send you daily update notices. Makes the search a lot easier.

4. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would suggest signing up for FML. I think most decent cars end up being advertised there, if they aren't headed to an auction. Right now, there are 7 612 listings.

5. cls

cls Formula 3

Jun 12, 2007
    Los Angeles/Montreal
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sales tax is paid when you register the car depending on the tax rate at your home address. If you buy out of state tax is reciprocal.

6. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I have a place in NV where I register my collector and exotic cars. No sales tax on private party sales vs. about 9% for a dealer purchase. On a $90,000+ car, that starts to add up.

7. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    That's interesting. In Taxachusetts it doesn't matter who you buy from, the taxman takes his due. Because I'm the taxman.-

If you drive a car, I'll tax the street
    If you try to sit, I'll tax your seat
    If you get too cold I'll tax the heat
    If you take a walk, I'll tax your feet

8. SciFrog

SciFrog Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2008
    USA
    I was told if the cars are not in that state it is actually illegal...

9. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    My cars move around. Sometimes in NV and sometimes in CA. The number of NV plated cars in Southern California is staggering. I see dozens if not hundreds every day (if I was really looking). Same with CA plated cars in NV, probably in the thousands.

Many of the high value Ferrari's in So. California carry the Montana plates which tend to stick out some.

10. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    As long as the cars get back to their home state regularly, and the driver has a Nevada license (which might not even be necessary in this case, but wouldn't hurt), I think it would be fine.

Montana is sort of a different story, because it's a long way from California and both hard for the cars to actually get back there regularly and hard for the owner to make that claim. Nevada is a fairly short drive from most of California. I don't know the specifics of California law, but I would certainly take a picture of the car in Nevada now and then.

Where people get into real trouble is using a Montana LLC and not even owning property in the state... and the car has never touched Montana soil. Now that's illegal, and very likely to get caught.

11. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    How I or others register cars isn't the intention of the thread.

Looking for a 612. Prefer a private party seller.

12. donv

Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I would think finding a private party seller would be difficult, for a car like a 612. Most 612 owners don't want to deal with tire kickers, test drives, flakes, etc and tend to either put their cars with a dealer or auction house.

13. Anthony James

Anthony James Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 27, 2012
    Essex
    It took me a long time to find the right one for me, but very happy with it. You will see the best prices in the late fall and untill January, but not necessarily the best selection untill the spring. Happy hunting, it's a nice car.

14. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    #14 TrojanFan, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2017
    I did find one that I liked that ticked all the boxes I was looking for and was being sold by a fellow FChatter. He decided not to sell at this time. I'll see if that one comes back around. Meanwhile the search goes on.

I have to stay away from the temptation for other models while looking. My goal (actually my wife's goal) is to get into a V-12 with 4 seats. I've seen a few nice 456's and may be tempted there. I'd love to have a 599.

15. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    #15 raider1968, Jul 28, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  16. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    PM sent

17. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    Buddy,

You always think about it then you realize you friggin love that thing (and so does your family) ;)

18. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    Eric - I notice you still have your 612 OTO which you were contemplating selling a while ago. Hard to sell a car as elegant and just right all around.

I am having a hard time letting go of my old 03 MB CL55 for the same reason even though it is starting to cost almost as much to maintain annually as it is worth.

19. raider1968

raider1968 F1 Rookie
    Owner

Mar 13, 2008
    NC Mnts & Asheville
    Full Name:
    John E
    You have a lot of insight because u are in the same situation

20. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    Just bumping to let y'all know that I'm still out there looking. Thanks for the submissions but I'm really narrowing the search to Silverstone with one of the suspension packages. I missed the "window" to drive it up to Monterrey. Now I need to find one before I spend the money on something else.l

21. RonH

RonH Formula 3

May 29, 2016
    Newport Coast, California
    Full Name:
    Ron H
    Silverstone is a pretty common color and there are a number out there. However, if you want the suspension packages then it is much harder. Have you tried the one at Black Horse Motors in Florida. They are asking a premium but if it is the car you want, for me that wouldn't matter that much.

22. TrojanFan

TrojanFan F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 17, 2008
    So. CA & NV
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I've looked at the posting but I'm not too keen on the red interior. I'm looking for tan, preferable datonas with some accent stitching or piping.

23. ar4me

ar4me F1 Rookie
    Owner

Apr 4, 2010
    Southern California
    Full Name:
    Jes
    Peter, sent you a PM: Silverstone, curio, daytonas, 2007 HGTC.

24. KY _Soldier

KY _Soldier Formula Junior

Oct 13, 2008
    Louisville KY
    Full Name:
    Eric Rahman
    You know it well. Was looking at it today thinking "why am I thinking of selling this again?" lol