TR idling rough won't accelerate pass idle | FerrariChat

TR idling rough won't accelerate pass idle

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 1TRICK6, Mar 13, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    My 89TR started up really rough today, idling rough at about 500-750rpms. When I give it gas it will stumble and sometimes die. Getting spark from plugs on both banks. I checked and sprayed all the connectors (under coolant tank, on the right side, flywheel sensors, coil, ignition modules, connectors up front at the Y). Swapped ignition modules and same results. I checked the water thermoswitch and it only shows .20v while running. From the other post I read it's suppose to be 12v. What is my next steps in testing.

Just the day prior, I noticed I was running a little hot, just barely over 195* which it's never done before and saw that the right radiator fan was not on but the left was. Pulled the white connector and saw that the wire terminal to the fan was fried. Not sure if this cause the above problem.

Appreciate any advice.

2. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    You need to check the function of the Protection Relay in the Black Box over the RR wheel well -- it's what supplies the +12V you are missing.

(The radiator fan not working needs to be fixed, but it has no relationship to the Protection Relay function.)

3. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Hey Steve,
    I'll pull out the protection relay and check it.
    I had this identical problem last year and it corrected by itself after I took the black box out to check the protection relay but didn't find anything loose or wrong.

4. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Yes, that's always possible as just getting into that box requires you to unplug and reseat the round C12 and C13 connectors (so that can "fix" a bad connection in those), and everything, generally, gets a good wiggle ;)

5. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #5 1TRICK6, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Getting no juice at terminal 87 protection relay, only .24v
    What should I try next.

6. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    #6 Steve Magnusson, Mar 13, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    You need to determine if the protection relay is bad or if some of the input signals to the protection relay are missing. Do these three test:

#1. Is the 10A fuse OK?

#2. Measure the voltage between terminal 30 and terminal 31 = this should always be +12V.

#3. Measure the voltage between terminal 15 and terminal 31 -= this should be +12V whenever the engine is cranking or running (it might droop down to ~10V when the starter motor is cranking, but it shouldn't be 0.2V).

If you pass those three tests, but you do not have +12V between terminal 87 and terminal 31 = buy a new protection relay.

If you don't pass those three tests (do not buy a new protection relay yet), give a shout back and we'll look at getting whatever is missing fixed.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

7. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    #1- 10amp fuse Good
    #2- Terminal 30 to 31 +12V (eng off)
    #3- Terminal 15 to 31 Zero volts (eng cranking & barely running mode)
    and Zero volts between 87 to 31 (eng off & barely running mode)

8. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The ZB (purple-white) wire leaves the fuse-relay panel thru the j horizontal white connector at the bottom of the fuse-relay panel and passes thru the small round C13 connector on its way to terminal 15 of the protection relay -- try measuring at those locations to ground during engine cranking or (barely) running. That same ZB wire signal closes the fuel pump relays, so since you report the engine will run, the signal must be present at the fuse-relay panel and must be lost either at the j or C13 connector.

9. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I got 12v from ZB at white connector.
    I got 12v at c13 connector.
    I rechecked terminal 15 & 31 and now I'm getting 12v. Not sure what happened wasn't getting anything before and checked several times.
    So does that mean it's the protection relay?? It does rattle when I shake it but it rattled last year when I had the same problem.

10. Motob

Motob Formula 3
    Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    Sounds like the protection relay is defective. You can remove the relay from the socket and jump the 30 and 87 connections (preferably with a fused jumper). The engine should start and run fine.

11. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Removed the relay and jumped 30/87 terminals, now the engine won't fire up.

12. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Something is weird going on.
    With engine off, relay removed, I get 12v between terminal 30 & 87. Aren't these terminals positive, is 87 grounding out?
    When I did the jumper from 30 to 87 as soon as I touched the 87 terminal it went from 12 to 0 volts.

13. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    This is normal. Terminal 87 is driving a load (so it does look like a ground to a voltmeter when it isn't connected to terminal 30).

The "jumping" is a bit dangerous as this disables the over-voltage "protection" function (with or without a fuse).

If you've got something actually loose inside the protection relay that wouldn't be good, but, if you shake it vigorously, the contact arm could be moving and making some noise. I'd go back to square one -- with the protection relay in place what results do you get for those prior tests (30 to 31, 15 to 31, 87 to 31)?

14. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Rechecked again,
    Fuse is good.
    Relay in place,
    12v between terminal 30 & 31 with eng off, but when eng cranking/barely running it went to 0 volts and when I turned engine off went back to 12v.
    12v between terminal 15 & 31, eng cranking/barely running
    0v between terminal 87 & 31, eng cranking/barely running

15. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    This is an indication that you have a high unwanted resistance somewhere in the GR (yellow-red) wire path from where the loop terminal with the GR wire starts out at the +12V battery cable at the starter over to terminal 30 at the protection relay (and explains why "jumping" didn't work). I don't have the TR schematic with me, but the most likely suspect is where the GR wire passes thru either the C12 or C13 round connector. Make the same measurement there (i.e., between the GR wire and ground with the engine running on both sides of the C12 or C13 connector) -- if both sides are 0V, then have a look at the GR wire loop terminal at the starter +12V battery cable. Bottom line is that you have to have +12V present on terminal 30 when the engine is running.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The GR wire goes through the C12 connector, the larger of the 2. The rotating lock ring on those is fragile and the tabs that actually hold the plug in place break off. Once that happens poor or intermittent connections are the result. Later cars like yours have the semi flexible conduit to that plug and almost invariably apply some angular force insuring a poor connection to some or all of the wires going through that plug.

I have seen all nature of jury rigging to hold them in place but best to replace it. They are available. It is a standard AMP part and not very expensive.

17. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I checked the GR wire from the starter to round connector end, no loss of voltage & excellent continuity. Same from round connector to terminal 30.
    With eng barely running got 12v coming out of GR wire out of round connector and from terminal 30 with NO relay attached.
    I reattached the relay with the eng running, I only got .20v from terminal 30, turned off the eng and went back to 12v.
    Protection relay shorting out the 12v juice from terminal 30??

18. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    The voltage measurement has no meaning when not under load (i.e., with the protection relay removed).

Having low resistance in those two paths is a good thing, but what you are not measuring is the contact resistance between the two GR pins in the C12 connector. If you remove the protection relay what is the measured resistance from large +12V stud on the starter with the GR loop terminal (place the multimeter probe on the threaded stud itself, not the GR loop terminal) and the female terminal 30 in the protection relay socket?

19. Mr.Chairman

Mr.Chairman F1 Rookie

Mar 21, 2008
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Robbie
    How was the white connector for the fuel pumps. Also what did you spray the connectors with?

R

20. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    12v stud on starter to female terminal 30 socket shows 2.4/200ohms setting.

White connector for fuel pumps looks good. Changed both pumps out almost a year ago.
    Sprayed CRC electronics cleaner on all my connectors.

21. Steve Magnusson

Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    Can't say that that is "bad" result - but it should be working :(

It's not physically possible for the protection relay to "short" the voltage down that much - a starter draws ~200A and causes the battery voltage to droop down to 9~10V. A short causing an auto battery to go to near zero volts would be thousands of amperes -- which would vaporize the protection relay itself from the heating.

22. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    When you are measuring the voltage at the relay socket with no relay in place, there is no load on the circuit, which is why you are seeing 12v. When you jump the relay, you are placing a load on the circuit, and the supply voltage is dropping to almost zero, because there is excessive resistance upstream of the relay socket in the Yellow-red wire, most likely at the large round AMP connector.

You could use a different load, such as a headlight to check power at pin 30 on the relay connector to simulate something that actually draws current, as your voltmeter does not draw any current.

Or you could run a jumper wire directly from the starter power terminal to the backside of the pin 30 on the protection relay and then plug the relay and see if the car runs normally. This way you are bypassing the bad connection in the yellow-red wire and testing the protection relay at the same time.

I would normally perform a voltage drop test across the connection from the starter ter. 30 to the relay ter. 30 with the relay in place and the engine running. It should be less than 1v, if it is more, then you have excessive resistance in that part of the circuit (most likely the large AMP connector)

23. Motob

Motob Formula 3

Nov 11, 2003
    Frederick, Maryland
    Full Name:
    Brian Brown
    You are not checking the connection under load. Using an ohmmeter places no load on the circuit. That is why you should perform a voltage drop test across the same terminals with the circuit under load.

24. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I previously checked voltage at terminal 30 with eng running with relay installed, it read 0volts and as soon as I turned eng off it went back to 12v,

25. 1TRICK6

1TRICK6 Karting

Aug 28, 2014
    So. Cal (L.A./O.C.)
    Full Name:
    Jim
    Just did the jumper from starter stud to terminal 30, with relay installed. It fired right up and idled great no missing, =14v, but as soon as I pulled the jumper off terminal 30, it reverted back to barely idling and showed only .20-.25volts.