What's up with Aston Martin depreciation? | FerrariChat

What's up with Aston Martin depreciation?

Discussion in 'British' started by Husker, Apr 5, 2007.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Husker

Husker F1 World Champ

Dec 31, 2003
    western hemisphere
    I was looking at ebay and was stunned at what you can buy a 97-98 Aston for. They're near my 1990 348 in value, and their stickers were in the $175K range. What's up with these cars? Are they no good? Do they look too much like a Jaguar? Any thoughts?

2. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    You are probably looking at the 6 cylinder DB7. They are a bargain. Can't speak to maintenance costs... but I can guess. I've thought about them often for exactly the reason you pose...

3. Prancing 12

Prancing 12 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 11, 2004
    The long way home
    Shouldn't the 00-01 Vantage coupes be worth that much? (maybe a little more?)... Even here in Canada, the I-6 cars can be had at a price starting with a "4"...

4. Robin

Robin F1 Rookie

Nov 1, 2003
    Arlington, VA
    The Vanquish market seems to be in the $130k range. Pretty big hit considering they sold new for $230ish just a few years ago. Not sure why that is, but they sure do look good.

-R

5. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Buy it now of $37.7k for a 10 year old Aston.. I'd say it depreciated better than Mercedes do. I've seen 4 year old S55's go for this much.

6. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    i have a 2000 db7 vantage coupe that i bought in 2002. the car now has 23k miles on it and has been relativiely trouble free. my wife used it as a daily driver (short commute) until she got a maserati qp. other than simple maintanence (oil, etc) i have not spent more than $4k in maintenance in all that time. at this point the db7's are just about fully depreciated. they are great cars and a blast to drive.

7. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Is it a manual or touchtronic?

Vanquishes are holding about as well as same-year 550's. DB7's are depreciating more like normal GTs/large sedans - better than MB's... just look at CL55's that are down to nearly 1/3 MSRP in 3-4 years.

8. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    I think people who can finally afford an AM because of depreciation are terrified of maintenance costs.

That and most people who can finally scrape up the change to get a 'dream car' are going to choose something flashier...

9. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    My wife and I said the same thing when we had the chance to spend an evening driving a navy blue DB7 V12 volante. It was a "Jubilee edition" and was probably $175k new... we concluded for that money (or even the $85k that could buy that car today) we would probably get something with more zap like a Ferrari or even a Diablo (ok, I said Diablo, not my wife).

But then again, I have been wistfully looking at DB7 coupes a lot lately - a manual coupe would resolve my two main complaints about the car: I didn't like the automatic transmission and the windline of the convertible sent the air right into the top of my forehead.

10. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    I would really like to pick up a AMV8 next year. You think some used ones will be down around $80k by then??

11. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    If you've been in one, you'd notice that the interior is pretty downmarket for AM, and the drivetrain is nothing special. (The six may have been sourced from another company -- but I'm not sure about that...)

Except for the Aston nameplate, I would consider a Jag XKR coupe - more looks (IMO), more go, and the same mindblowing depreciation.

12. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    www.autosportdesigns.com

Tom prices his cars high, but he finds good ones.

13. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    Mind-blowing is right. One of the saddest things I ever had to do was take my oriental sister-in-laws XJS-12 convertible back to the dealer after she failed in business (and later tragically took her own life).

It was absolutely brand new - total around 800 miles on the speedo. It was at a second house she had up in Sacremento, CA and I put a battery in it and drove it back to San Jose.

What I found out from a sympathetic guy at the dealer was that they had hyped her into paying a PREMIUM for this thing because "it was going to be the last V12 Jaguar sports car ever"...and the new XK was already announced. Jerks. They also had sold her a Vandan Plas that had obvious collision repear in the rear as a "demonstrator".

It was worth charitably maybe low 20s, still effecively brand new. Of course I could not buy it myself and keep it around because of the family tragedy, and then who could say if it was not going to just catch on fire?

James

14. scycle2020

scycle2020 F1 Rookie

Jan 26, 2004
    potomac
    a friend has a 99 db7....the driving dynamics dont compare to any ferraris or porsches and the car seems too jag like for my tastes....he bought the car new...ouch!!!!! the his car has had its share of repair issues as the car is not built as well as porsches or ferraris.....the new db9 is beautiful was also lacking in visceral thrills..more of gentlemans sport car and i am the last person you would call a gentleman!!!!!!!!!! the new amv is a smaller version of the db9, equally beautiful but it looks too much like the new xk jag from the back and the performance is lacking for a car at its price point-a regular c6 vette will smoke it.......

15. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    IMO, the new Vantage V8 -- after a couple years of Aston depreciation -- is the place to be.

To some extent the depreciation seems too steep, but a lot of people are scared of used Aston Martin service costs -- it's the same reason Ferraris carry a premium under warranty, but everyone gets squeamish when the only backup is your checkbook. A sparse dealer network doesn't inspire confidence either.

I'm a sucker for gorgeous cars, though, nicely done down to the gauges (see other thread), even if the quality isn't won't be up to rival 911's standards. But Callum did a hell of a job on the new AM - worlds more interesting than the warmed over 997 or the current Maser coupe.

16. James_Woods

James_Woods F1 World Champ

May 17, 2006
    Dallas, Tx.
    Full Name:
    James K. Woods
    The Bullfighter is again right on the target. This new V8 is probably going to be a whole new story - evidence? Look into actually buying one at a dealer...they are very popular at least around here. Real popular cars make good numbers on resale.

And it is undeniably so much prettier than any current Porsche that it makes this Porsche owner sick. I would rather have it than one of their big heavy 12s.

17. TheBigEasy

TheBigEasy F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Jun 21, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    Ethan Hunt
    +1 but shhhhhhhhhh. We don't need everyone knowing that. :eek::eek::eek: :p

18. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    Older Vanquishes have seemed to have stabilized at $120k for now.
    Ss at 180k.
    The new DBS comes out soon knocking the legs out again when it does.

19. JBsZ06

JBsZ06 Formula Junior

Dec 6, 2003
    Stopped by Miller motors in conn. monday.

The vanquish is still a personal favorite.

The DB9 and the new AMV8 are also both stunning beauties.

The cars don't have a bad line on them.

20. Zegna

Zegna Formula Junior

Apr 14, 2006
    North America
    Full Name:
    Jesse
    Very true. Not even one.

21. Bullfighter

Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Said in the privacy of the internet. What's the worry? ;)

22. ibesuc

ibesuc Formula Junior

Jun 16, 2009
    NY
    Full Name:
    Steve
  23. XJRS Owner

XJRS Owner Karting

Aug 20, 2009
    Northern CT
    10 years...a little late to the party, are we?

24. Townshend

Townshend F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 20, 2005
    Chicago
    Full Name:
    Walter
    Although still accurate. A gently used AM Vantages is one of the best exotic buys IMHO

25. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    12 years in production.
    Depreciation now ?
    Just wait until the next body style comes out.