Is this the end of F1? | FerrariChat

Is this the end of F1?

Discussion in 'F1' started by TheMayor, Mar 16, 2014.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    No, seriously.

I don't want to go all P and R here but its pretty clear F1 is going green which is why all the new changes.

The new changes just make the cars ugly, slow, unreliable, expensive, and sound horrible.

How do they reverse this? Go "less green"? How can they ever go back to 8, 10, or 12 cylinder cars again? It's the end of that stuff forever. It's impossible for them to go "less green" in the future.

So, is it the end of F1? Is this is the last and final step in the formula?

Where do you go after this? More "green"?

2. DeSoto

DeSoto F1 Veteran

Nov 26, 2003
    We had a boring race and probably it´s going to be a boring season but it´s not the end.

If there was a good fight on track nobody would care if the cars are ugly, green, black or pink.

3. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    I like it.....I was a bit worried initially, but eventually I decided I like it much better how it is now for all sorts of reasons

4. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Immediate fix:lift the testing ban so teams can close the gap to MB. Based on today's race we replaced RB with MB. Will help the show.

Next year increase revs to bring back some noise, allow more fuel, modify the rules re the goofy wings.

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    The cars will get more reliable.But they need to raise the rev limit and put a muffler on the Turbo whine

6. TheMayor

TheMayor Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 11, 2008
    Vegas baby
    My question is not what they do now but where do they go from here.

7. Aircon

Aircon Ten Time F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Jun 23, 2003
    Melbourne, Australia
    Full Name:
    Peter
    More advances in technology introduced as it's developed.

8. Dino Chang

Dino Chang Guest

Dec 29, 2012
    Today showed me just how badly thought out and dangerous some of the new design features of cars actually are.
    So the brake by wire failed on Kobayashis car so it failed to stop. Because of this he ran into the back of the car in front, no he actually ran under it because of the nose "ramp".
    I was half expecting the marshals to get electric shocks when recovering the car, it will happen soon. Issue the marshals rubber gloves.
    Oh yes, and on the strongest part of the car which is the nose crumble zone. The nose tip falls of Jensons car!!!

9. PowerSlide

PowerSlide Formula 3

Jun 28, 2004
    next step? fully electric with speakers on the car with V12 engine noise

can't think of anything now, probably some tweak here and there in years to come for more efficiency

10. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    F1 has not been about maximum speed in a long time. And now they're limiting the ways we can get to the limited speed. F1 is over. Imagine the most ridiculous things and this is what we will probably see the future. Extra points for the car who has the lowest decibels. Extra points for the car who uses the least fuel. Extra points for the car with the lowest carbon footprint. We're on the downhill.

11. 6t7

6t7 Karting

Aug 19, 2012
    Oz
    Full Name:
    Brett
    I don't know where from here coz as you say you can't be allowed to go less green.
    I went with some friends who had never been to an F1 race and told them how exciting it would be.
    Needless to say the turbos, which act like mufflers, made the cars so quiet it was disappointing. For a circuit so close the the CBD the cars will probably never be allowed to scream again. Greenies would consider the old sound noise pollution!
    I hope the do good era and greenies leave drag racing alone.
    Motorsport is loud and passionate and thrilling and making it quiet hurts the whole thing

12. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    F1 is finished. At least the way we always knew it. There is no doubt that they are heading toward full electric engines. The sound today was a joke. The cars are ugly. Face it the sound is related to the power output and is what makes it so exciting to watch. It made me feel like I was watching a bunch of old ladies pushing shopping carts around a mall. Its over.

At least when I drive my 355 2.7 with tubi it will remind me of what F1 used to be.

13. gt4me

gt4me F1 Veteran

Sep 10, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Lewis Mitchell
    Great. The king is dead, long live the king.

14. ginge82

ginge82 Formula 3

Jul 23, 2012
    Europe
    Full Name:
    Art Corvelay
    Change is good, just as long as those responsible for these changes identify and rectify the mistakes and missteps they make along the way.

I would rather F1 embrace technology than pretend these advances aren't happening to satify the purists. They need to embrace green tech otherwise F1 will become a dinosaur in the modern world, and very quickly become passé. Sponsors will flee as will the money.

The energy recapture systems will improve, they will become cheaper and more reliable and as long as the decision makers have the sport's best interest at heart it will continue to amaze and frustrate fans in equal measure. It always has.

15. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    I know where I'm going it's called WRC, GT, and maybe some endurance racing. I'm done with F1.

16. Ferrarista3

Ferrarista3 F1 Rookie

Oct 30, 2007
    MC/UK
    Full Name:
    Carlo
    F1 completely lost its appeal for me too.

Up until a couple of years ago I'd never miss a race. Today I stopped following after 1 hr.

Endurance/sports car racing is much more interesting to follow (for me).

Looking forward to Porsche's return in LMP1.

17. joker57676

joker57676 Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 12, 2005
    Sin City
    Full Name:
    Deplorie McDeplorableface
    I really LOVE F1, but I'm losing interest as well. F1 is not headed in the right direction and I don't see it coming back. I'm getting into sports cars and endurance racing more with every rule change in F1.

Mark

18. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Yes. Starting to follow my second favorite marque in its return to racing.

19. DGS

DGS Six Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

May 27, 2003
    MidTN
    Full Name:
    DGS
    It's the bureaucrat problem: instead of mandating goals, they're mandating half-baked "solutions".

Instead of having the paper pushers dictate what tech to use, they should set an exhaust standard, and let the engineers figure out how to achieve it.
    But bureaucracy and micro-management tend to go together.

Besides: they've been cleaning up internal combustion for some time.
    Jumping blind into completely different "trendy" notions doesn't make results, just new problems.

This slap-dash pile of random "green" hype doesn't make for a race car.
    It makes for a parade of people hoping the Rube Goldberg gizmo will make it around the track.

Too much "show", not enough "go".

20. classic308

classic308 F1 Veteran

Jan 9, 2004
    Westchester, NY
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Exactly. Not all change is good.

21. Scaledetails

Scaledetails F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2003
    Daytona Beach, FL
    Full Name:
    Stephane
    Unreal. I was expecting the usual F1 sound and all I heard was lawnmower engines. I am done with F1. Going back to Lemans series.

22. DEAF1

DEAF1 Karting

Nov 2, 2011
    Anaheim Hills OC
    ****e,,, pure ****e the new cars are...

23. jcosta79

jcosta79 Formula 3

Nov 15, 2011
    Dallas, TX
    Full Name:
    LaJonathan
    There is plenty of advanced technology that is currently available but they are not allowed to use. The only solution I see is to start a whole new series seperate from F1, but that would not likely get the required support from any major manufacturers.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

24. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    ... and just recall that one reason these asthmatic weedeater engines were mandated was to cut costs! How did that work out? With the most expensive engines in F1 history. Now, mighty McLaren has no season-long sponsor. How long before Lotus, Caterham, & Marussawhoever the hell they are have their sponsors cry "enough"? It looks bad, sounds horrible and could, possibly, end up with just 16 cars on the grid. What kind of future would that be?

25. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    What's so bad about Formula Prius?