*Alarm* ...possible scammer in our midst. | FerrariChat

*Alarm* ...possible scammer in our midst.

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by Birel, Sep 26, 2016.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    "Akko" is advertising several parts, he now has €600 in his account for a steering wheel posted up for sale 2 weeks ago.
    As you can guess, no steering wheel, no answer on the telephone, email, or our PM system.
    His name is Paulo, resident in Portugal and is silver subscribed. Unless he comes good is there a way to get him Unsubscribed and booted out of our community?
    Andrew T.

2. Melvin Diagnosi

Melvin Diagnosi Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

May 15, 2016
    Amsterdam
    Full Name:
    Melvin Williams
    Paypal refund?

3. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    So strange, I don't understand.

Not trying to point fingers, but as usual there are always two sides to the coin.

I have had great dealings with Paulo. Zero issues, or problems. Punctual, honest and courteous.

Regards, Alberto

4. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Well I hope you are correct, because in the simplest terms he has been paid and is now on the missing list. Failure to respond to Ferrarichat PM's, phone calls an emails is presently one sided. If there is good reason I'll be the first to set the record clear.

5. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    I had a guy try and scam me and in fact got paid for a set of wheels. I called my credit card and Pay Pal when I figured it out. He got the money but not from me. I didn't pay anything. Taught me to be more careful. May of been the same guy.

6. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    I purchased a Shell sign from Paulo Bitton (a/k/a Akko) and it never arrived. Months of excuses and bogus shipping receipts, then pleas of poverty and sympathy for his family. Finally, gave up - waste of time and not enough money to bother with it.

We need a "banned" list for people like this.

7. Jdubbya

Jdubbya The $10 Trillion Man
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2003
    PNW
    Full Name:
    John
    Uh-oh, sounds like strike two to me. Why do people try to di this kind of stuff?? Especially here!!

8. Enzojr

Enzojr F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2013
    West of PDX
    Full Name:
    Tomy
    Did you notify a moderator ?

9. Stentboy

Stentboy Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 8, 2008
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Ron
    I purchased a steering wheel from him and received it, but it did not have the horn button pictured. He said that he intended not to include the horn button, that pictures were just for demonstration purposes. He went on to say that to make me happy he would provide a horn button, that was approximately two weeks ago. Haven't heard from him since.

10. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Theses guys are not always complete crooks, they sometimes deliver sometimes not ... I once bought a CF steering wheel for my 599 and the guy sold it to me and then someone else for more money. In this case steering wheel existed ... I eventually got my money back. I then bought another one from a Swiss guy which was never delivered ... PayPal paid me back this time. Third time only was lucky!

11. Julian Thompson

Julian Thompson Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 25, 2016
    Cheshire UK
    Full Name:
    Julian Thompson
    What is sad, however, is that it exists in the community. I used to be part of the Caterham 7 community and during that time I saw thousands of transactions on the sale boards and made a fair few myself. No dishonesty anywhere.

In six months of doing the Ferrari thing I myself got scammed for 9k euros and I've seen a fair few others get taken too - so annoying and very alarming.

Best of luck and hope this guy comes through for you.

12. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    That's not normal. At all. And not appropriate, fair, or how anyone should conduct a shred of business.

I had an item on here, which sold quickly, the second guy up offered me 1.5x the sale price, and I had to decline, because at the end of the day, without integrity, how do you lay your head on the pillow? There are no excuses.

13. Flea7

Flea7 Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 25, 2010
    PNW
    Full Name:
    SKIM
    FYI,
    I just purchased a MoMo Testarossa steering wheel and a set of enamel emblem shield just recently from AKKO ...Paulo
    I received them in 10 days....it was a smooth transaction......was I lucky???

14. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Paulo has come back to me on PM. He gave a reason for absence of communication being an overseas trip and the despatch of the steering wheel has been promised asap.
    As soon as it is delivered I will confirm it here. I do understand that internet trading is plagued by problems and as stated earlier I'll be the first to set the record straight for the benefit of this fellow.
    Andrew

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    This seller "warning" thread has been moved to the discussion forums, where users can freely discuss it without some of the constraints present in the classified ads section.

Ferrarichat doesn't ban users for being a "bad" seller or buyer as that requires us to judge the terms of a transaction between two private parties, often without many of the pertinent facts or with coloration of the details when retold. Instead our policy is that users are free to post their experiences, good or bad, and the counter party gets to have their say. The record of the charge and refutation becomes part of the community knowledge base and is searchable for future users that exercise due diligence and take the trouble to examine the past history.

16. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Very similar to the excuses and unfulfilled promises to me.

17. beng

beng Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2006
    RSF, California
    Full Name:
    Benjamin Galdston
    Now also going by the name "exocticarpart" (sic).

18. Mickster

Mickster Formula Junior

Oct 24, 2015
    Sweden
    Full Name:
    Mikael Andersson
    Would it be possible to have some sort of public (i.e. buyers / sellers), feedback attached to each F-chatter's ID? Kind of E-bay like..?

Maybe a way to go?

19. Texasrecurve

Texasrecurve Karting

Oct 15, 2006
    Graham, Texas
    Full Name:
    Rodney D. Mitchell

Fine and dandy, but if someone is a habitual offender.........FC's response should be "adios buddy."

20. It's Ross

It's Ross Formula 3

Jul 30, 2007
    Barrington, Ill. USA
    Full Name:
    Ross
    As this forum is the same format as another I frequent I am nearly certain there is a buyer/seller feedback feature available.
    For it to be useful folks must participate. I find that unless prompted happy buyers tend not to submit feedback.
    If we were to adopt this here I believe that feedback score should be prominently displayed. Buyers sometimes are unaware of a poor score and patronize a bad seller only to become aware of the rating system after it is too late.
    It's not perfect and you cannot protect some from themselves but it helps to out the liars and thieves.

21. Nospinzone

Nospinzone F1 Veteran

Jul 1, 2013
    Weston, MA
    Full Name:
    Paul
    This!

22. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    I contacted him also for some great items he had listed for sale around 6 months ago.

But something just didn't seem right in his emails to me, so I backed out of any dealings with him.

He was not clear with what was for sale and what I would have been receiving if I purchased from him.

Sounds like I am glad this didn't go anywhere.

And I am sorry to hear about your dealing with him mate.

23. odf911

odf911 Formula Junior

Nov 30, 2013
    London UK (Chelsea)
    Full Name:
    Olivier
    Could not agree more, I was quite furious when it happened to me twice! unfortunately some people have very little ethic standards ...

24. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Well, here we are, nearly a month on. No steering wheel. No response to emails. Looks like having been given the benefit of doubt Paulo is happy to cast his reputation in with that of Orlando Vetrano (read more threads about dodgy sellers using our platform)

A.T.

25. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Well, zero response for almost another week so enough is enough I feel. We’ve been swindled I suspect. I'd recommend fellow members not to buy from Paulo.