What is the chance a first time buyer can get a brand new custom specced car? | FerrariChat

What is the chance a first time buyer can get a brand new custom specced car?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 96redLT4, May 28, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    I have always wanted a Ferrari. I am interested in a 812. I know traditionally it has been impossible to get a new car if you have not 'played the game'. Is it getting easier now? Both 488 and F12 board have threads of people showing their newly ordered cars, apparently not having owned Ferraris before. I am located on the Left Coast

Jim

2. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Jim, the best thing you can do is go to your local dealer and ask them this question. My guess is you will discover there is a lot of demand and you are coming in cold. Thats why the usual path is to "play the game". But you never know. Many years ago I was in a similar place and I didn't want to buy another car, I wanted to buy the car I wanted. But I learned that buying a pre owned model is actually a good way to get into the Ferrari world. First off, there are a ton of pre owned cars that are truly excellent. If you like the 812, you could try out an F12 for a few years... Firstly, doing this limits your financial exposure by reducing the depreciation you will take on the pre owned car, so if it turns out the Ferrari thing is not for you, you won't be as badly hurt financially. Secondly, it allows you and the dealer to build a relationship. And by being in the mix, if a spot for the car you do want happens to open up, now you are a known vs an unknown. Ferrari's are really wonderful cars, its a big world, but its also a bit of a different world so my advice is to not look at this as one thing but rather a series of steps.

3. 96redLT4

96redLT4 Formula Junior

Feb 20, 2009
    California
    Full Name:
    Jim
    This is good advice, I'm sure. My last 2 cars have been Porsche 911s that I have ordered and waited for from the factory. There is just something about getting a car made specifically for you, combined with the planning and anticipation especially at these lofty price points.

J

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    You're welcome! And you're right, its just with Ferrari you might have to pay your dues first.

5. daytona355

daytona355 F1 World Champ
    BANNED

Mar 25, 2009
    London
    Full Name:
    Sid Korshak
    In my experience, as long as you don't mind waiting in line, you can order any brand new ferrari you like so long as you can afford it. It's the squeezing to the front of the queue that is achieved by dealers knowledge of you and previous history

6. robert biscan

robert biscan F1 Veteran

Jan 17, 2003
    Nashville and Palm b
    Full Name:
    robert s biscan
    My home in Tn. is an open area since there is no F dealer here. Some guys like me buy from Atlanta and others from Chicago or the Carolina's or Florida. Since you are in California you may be restricted on a new car to "your" dealer in that territory. There are several there. I suspect you will have a hard time to buy new quickly. I'm an old customer and it took me over 14 months to get a 488. I was shocked and a little pissed.

7. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    #7 wrs, May 29, 2017
    Last edited: May 29, 2017
    So were you able to get a GT3RS? Probably not, those were saved for very select customers, same will be true for the 812. You have to take someone else's slot to get a new one if you haven't ever owned before and then you have to be really lucky. I stopped in at the Ferrari store here in Austin for 3 years before finally buying one. The sales guy knew me well by that time. I got lucky and got a completely new car off the showroom floor that happened to be what I wanted with two exceptions and they added those options as part of the package at no extra cost. I paid MSRP but I bought a 2017 Cali T HS, not a 488 or 488 Spider. They don't often have new ones on the floor other than the demo cars. The demo car they have as the 488 Spider was asking $50k over MSRP. I think they sold it with the only other new car as a package, it was a Cali T HS. Now I could be wrong but it's my understanding that a new order spec is MSRP and thus, you have to give them a used F car and a deposit to get your own spec. That's my understanding of how the game is played.

I read that thread on the 488 forum. It seems that guy waited 2 years for his first Ferrari on spec and it was indeed his first time to buy. Fancy waiting 2 years for the car? You want something to drive in the meantime so why not a used one?

8. blackbolt22

blackbolt22 F1 Veteran

Sep 25, 2007
    Boca Raton, FL
    Full Name:
    Mr. Anderson
    Go to your local dealer and ask them. You never know, You may walk in at the right time. Or it could be years of waiting.

9. Yooper

Yooper Rookie

Dec 28, 2016
    Cincinnati, OH
    I am a first-time Ferrari buyer at 50 years old. I am buying a brand new personally specced 488 Spider from the dealer. First contacted the dealer by e-mail in Nov 2016, and went on the waiting list in Dec 2016 after committing to the car. Just submitted my final options list which will be filed as an order in Aug 2017 (this week). Am told car will arrive Apr/May 2018 as a 2018 model. Paid $25,000 on submission of order as partial payment. I have never owned a Ferrari before, and have personally met the dealer twice. The process was smooth, transparent, and friendly.

10. David Lind

David Lind Formula 3

Nov 19, 2008
    Full Name:
    David Lind
    Let's see; Dec 2016 until May, 2018? Sounds like most of the the advice given here is pretty darn accurate.

11. Patrick21x

Patrick21x Karting

Apr 11, 2014
    Orange County
    Quickest way to get a new Ferrari in Under 6 Months.

Step 1: Walk into local dealer.
    Step 2: Give Dealer $50k cash and say "I really like you guys, heres a $50k donation to do with as you please"
    Step 3: Say "By the way, can I order a new Ferrari today"
    Step 4: Dealer will respond "Actually, we just had an allocation come available today"
    Step 5: Customize your Spec and place your order
    Step 6: Wait 5-6 months
    Step 7: Pay MSRP and pick up newly arrived Ferrari.

Want another new Ferrari, Repeat steps 1-7

12. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    As a person in the car industry... this seriously is the most logical approach... other than maybe coming in a pair of glasses with a fake nose first and bringing a cashiers check made out for 25k as a deposit on a car at MSRP First... then if that doesn't work... proceed with Step 1.

I know it sounds crazy but buying a 300k car you don't want just to lose the money and then finally get what you want a year or two later seems ridiculous. I like the straight forward bribe approach. The money goes were it needs to more efficently

13. Jana

Jana F1 Veteran

Mar 4, 2015
    I know a guy who'd never owned a Ferrari but wanted to order a 488 before release. They refused to take an order from him so he bought two 458s off the showroom floor and they took his order. IMMV

14. moldynotepad

moldynotepad Rookie

Aug 16, 2014
    Los Angeles

When I inquired about a 488 to a General Manager many many moons ago, I was told to cut the $50k check to the GM's S-Corp as a consulting fee and I would have the car in 6-8 months. I thought he was messing with me until I read these posts above.

15. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    The new post-IPO Ferrari is changing things. Ferrari wants to sell as many cars as they can, so...

16. technom3

technom3 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Phoenix AZ
    Full Name:
    Justin
    Was this dealer in NJ?

Because... um... Im not saying its been done before... but Im not saying it hasn't been done before