Buying from an independent dealer | FerrariChat

Buying from an independent dealer

Discussion in 'United Kingdom' started by jfk, Jan 22, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jfk

jfk Karting

Jan 16, 2005
    Has anyone had any dealings with Forza288? Any comments?

Also, how much is a good/fair price for the following:

(1) 355GTS, rosso/crema, 1997P, 44T, fair condition, FFSH
    (2) 355GTS F1, rosso/crema, 1999T, 30T, good condition, FFSH

Anything I should watch out for when buying from independent dealers?

Cheers.

2. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Do a search on here for Forza as I think comments have been made in the past - can't recall off hand which end of the scale.

Are both these cars right hand drive (think so if one of them's on their site now)?

44k is a lot of miles in terms of selling it on later. If you drop another 6k on it, it's going to put a lot of people off.

The sensible head buys on condition, but sense doesn't always come into it where these cars are concerned!

It seems that RHD cars start at around 40k at the moment, and up to mid-50s for the really good ones, maybe a notch higher for an A1 version.

However, whilst I'm somewhat biased, I suspect you'll have to look at what's available on the market at the time you want to buy and compare those prices.

These are now being bought by people who always wanted one and are unlikely to want to sell. So there may not be a shed load of choice if you're particular about model and colour combo. And book prices stop meaning very much at this point.

3. jfk

jfk Karting

Jan 16, 2005
    They are both RHD. I've done a search on Forza288 on this and other site, but couldn't find any comment at all, even though they're been in business for over 20years, so it claims.

4. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    You can't have tried very hard :)

Try:

Forza 288

in the search box in the options above and you'lll get some stuff. Check out the posts made in the UK section first.

FWIW, the comment I found was good... haven't read all threads, but it's a positive start.

5. jfk

jfk Karting

Jan 16, 2005
    Thanks, it does come up with one or two threads. I used Forza288 as search word to avoid thread on forza magazine or 288 models

6. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    No bother.

Looks like they're OK.

My advice would be to get any prospective purchase checked out by another place too. Few hundred quid spent is worth the peace of mind, and if it throws up issues, could save you a fortune.

Next all you need to do is figure out which you want to go for :)

From another thread, I believe (1) is 46k and (2) is 54k? These two seem evenly priced-ish bearing in mind the spec, with perhaps (2) shading it. As it's from a main dealer I think you may have more room to move on price too (it's possible he's in more of a rush to sell).

Go out for a drive in both, and see if either really floats your boat. F1 was new to the 355, and would only appear to be coming fully on song with the 360CS, 430 etc, so it may not appeal. It also has a couple of extra parts over the manual box that if they go wrong, are pricey IIRC when I started looking (I really wanted the traditional gate too :) ).

If both do it for you, toss a coing and get it inspected :)

7. jfk

jfk Karting

Jan 16, 2005
    Just found out that #2 has been sold. But was offered, by Graypaul, a Spider, 18T, 1998 for £59k

How much from the asking price do independent and main dealer expect buyers to knock down?

Does Graypaul still do the 101 inspection for ~£200? Tried calling them, but service department closed.

8. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    They don't *expect* to give discounts :) But ask for one. I would be surprised if they didn't shift at all, even if only by a bit.

If it's their stock, I would expect them to have done the 101 point check anyway. I would also expect them to have a nice buffer on the car...though if it was taken p/x against a new car, maybe less than usual.

9. jfk

jfk Karting

Jan 16, 2005
    car #1 is from an independent dealer. i'm think of getting graypaul to go and check it out properly.

10. EK3R

EK3R Formula Junior

Mar 26, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Eric K
    What exactly does the official dealer 101 point check cover? If it's anything like taking a 911 to a P car dealer, then its pretty much a waste of time... they are more interested in telling you the cigarette lighter doesn't work rather than the core mechanical tests.

I had an inspection done at Verdi's (independent), cost me a few hundred quid (£300 from memory, although could be wrong). It was very thorough from a mechanical point of view, and included a compression test as well. The inspection was bang on, I have had no additional work needed on the car other than the bits that were pointed out at inspection time.

11. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I would tend to agree with EK3R here.

Do not be wedded to a main dealer jfk, for either purchase, inspection or servicing. For the sort of cars you're currently looking at there's even less point.

Mine was bought from a main dealer. It didn't stop me having a serious issue with the wiring loom, nor did the 101 pointer highlight that the cam timing on one bank was one tooth out. The car had always been in the main dealer network until that point, so make your own conclusions. The warranty wasn't exactly the protection I thought it might be (after reading it in what I thought was a careful way) either.

Karl Verdi, on the other hand, spotted the cam timing just by listening to the car!

Sadly I never did enough research to find this site prior to buying mine, expecting the security of the main dealer network to be insurance enough. Never again! They're simply car garages with a higher scale of rates!

The good thing is, I still love the car and it gives me the same buzz seeing it as the first day I picked it up. And I now know the value of independents and these forums. I will definitely use them for my next purchase!

12. jfk

jfk Karting

Jan 16, 2005
    I've now managed to narrow my choices down to three (they're all from independent dealers):

The cheap option
    (1) RHD, black, 348GTS, 1990, 48T, ~£28K, 5.5/10 condition

The not so cheap option
    (2) RHD, 355GTS, yellow/black, 1995, 22T, ~£41K, 7/10 condition
    (3) RHD, 355GTS, rosso/crema, 1997, 44T, ~45K, 8/10 condition

Any suggestions/opinion?

I intend to keep the car for around a year to a year and a half then trade them in for something else.

13. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    I'd personally say go for 3. Its a classic easy to sell colour combo. Considering your only going to keep for 1-2 yrs you need to consider that , as you presumably don't want to be waiting another 6 months while trying to sell it once your fed up...

Sounds like a fair price BUT do a compression test, check the state of the manifolds, check EVERYTHING (via a inspection and yourself)... from aircon to power steering to state of the GTS top. Don't just hope that it will be OK... cause it won't be, sods law.

Ade

14. acpes

acpes Formula Junior

Aug 11, 2004
    west 12cylinderville
    Full Name:
    Andy
    I have personally dealt with Forza288 (owned by Dave Miller) and can categorically state that you should have absolutely no hesitation in dealing with him. If you cut him in half you'd see Ferrari written right through him like a stick of rock. He is a man, I found , to be absolutely sincere, knowledgable and genuine. I have called on Dave several times when I have been in the area, and if my current plans come to fruition this year then I will be calling on him again.
    He doesn't stock any rubbish, and all vehicles are HPI'd. Anything wrong with the cars and it's immediately sorted out (majors at meridian).
    No hesitation, no bullsh*t, just a Top Man.

15. Azzuro

Azzuro Karting

Nov 18, 2004
    Merseyside
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    jfk

be very carefull with the 355s, as I feel that the price of 360s will now start to drop as they are coming up to 6 years old. This will have a negative effect on 355 prices. Anyone who tells you otherwise - dont listen, because given the choice between a 1995 355 and a 1999 360, 9 out of 10 would go for the 360. IMO prices of the 355 have up to now stayed over £40K only because 360 prices have been rock solid. But it wont last as already many 355s are now 10-11 years old.
    With regards to mileage also be very carefull. the 355GTS with 44k miles will have 50K miles in a years time, and you will be lucky to get £35K for it. High mileage F cars only sell at bargain prices. I know because I bought a 1990 Testarossa (red with crema) with 63K miles for £26K. You need to find a car with around 20K (whether genuine or not!) so that you can keep it for a couple of years and still sell it with 30Kish on the clock.

Hope this helps - and apologies to 355 owners but this is how I see it.

16. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    Do you still own it ? It would be nice to know we are getting good advice on prices from an owner Maybe you could fill in your profile to RAY360M

17. Azzuro

Azzuro Karting

Nov 18, 2004
    Merseyside
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    No I bought it in Nov 2003 and sold it last month ( at a small profit!). It had 63K on the clock when I bought it and 68K when I sold it. But the point is that for many prospective buyers the mileage on my car was deemed high. I would have liked to have kept it longer but the thought of doing over 70K miles meant that I had to let it go. You can fix everything on a used car (paint, body, interior etc) but you cannot rub out the mileage.

18. andrewg

andrewg F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Sep 10, 2002
    Chester, England
    Full Name:
    AndrewG
    if the dealers telling you its a 348gts then run away 1990 348's were either ts or tb not GTB or GTS for another couple of years oh and its worth 24k if its 5.5 /10, as LHD 348 regularly actually sell for under 20k (as opposed to the asking price!)

19. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK
    Seriously, you have to compare like for like (colours, mileage, RHD/LHD etc) on doing your analysis of how models depreciation will effect each other. But its mainly futile anyway... its a pretty OLD car now and is at a price level where many people are able to consider purchasing.. which is great for everyones.

Like for like example, if you wanna spider and only have 55K to spend.... its going to HAVE to be a 355...... for a long time yet. A decent Rosso/Crema '00 360 spider at winter prices seems to be 90-95K if your lucky. Thats gotta fall a long way ( 4 or 5 years perhaps) before its nudging on 355 prices...

Ade

20. tonyh

tonyh F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 23, 2002
    S W London
    Full Name:
    Tony H
    I see what your saying and understand your point about 355s totally. I can't agree with the statement , tho'. For me and lots of others who were in the position to buy a 360 or a 355 , i CHOSE to buy a 355 based on looks not price. I appreciate the 360 is a much more modern ride , and is much easier to drive fast, but 360 CS apart, i have no regrets whatsover about buying the 355 Spider over the eqiv 360. Just MO, not a q for a flame war ;)

21. murph7355

murph7355 Formula 3

Nov 30, 2002
    SE England Yorkie
    Full Name:
    Andy
    Same boat Tony. And equal desire for no flame war.

Much less 355s around, and look at how many come for sale at any one time at the moment. Particularly if you're choosy about spec.

Only time will tell.

Largely irrelevant as I have no desire to sell mine :)

22. Ade

Ade Formula 3

Jan 31, 2004
    UK

Spot on Tony & Andy !! I agree entirely, ...along with many many others.

In terms of answering the questions in this thread... just looking at the price of the 348 mentioned, it does look very good value for money! :) So JFK any developments??

23. geofflowe

geofflowe Formula Junior

Sep 16, 2004
    Souffampton
    Full Name:
    Geoff Lowe
    I bought my 328 from David at Forza 288. What a pleaseant change not to be pressured into a purchase - everything presented superbly and information offered without hesitation.

I'm sure he wouldn't show his face at the local FOC meets if he was a bit iffy, do you?? Quite a number of cars at the Wessex meets have been sold by him so that must be testament!

24. RAY430RED

RAY430RED Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Marlborough Wilts
    Full Name:
    Ray F
    I second that I have known Dave at Forza 288 for a good few years and take it from me he is a top man nothing is to much trouble and he sells good cars ,thats why people go back to him He is also VERY fussy what he buys for the same reason .

RAY360M

25. Long-wheelbase

Long-wheelbase Karting

Jul 20, 2004
    Had no problems with Forza 288.Meridian Modena are only up the road in Lyndhurst , from Forza 288, and seem really nice people as well.Get the car inspected there if you feel you must.