What's the best solution to my 348 seatbelt issue.. | FerrariChat

What's the best solution to my 348 seatbelt issue..

Discussion in '348/355' started by livingthedream, Jul 11, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. livingthedream

livingthedream Karting

Jun 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathon
    Both of my seatbelt lights are on. The passenger side goes off if someone sits in it and buckles up. Otherwiese it's always on, and the mouse/track is working fine. Just the light always being on while I'm driving alone.

The driver side mouse has stopped working and the light stays on no matter what.

I read an old thread about disengaging the battery to reset the computer? Would this clear the system?

Thanks for the help!

2. livingthedream

livingthedream Karting

Jun 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathon
    At this point, I'm most interested in disconnecting the track belts. I read in another thread that you can do this by unplugging the "two boxes under the center console behind the climate control gauges". Before I take this all apart, are they clearly marked so that I know I'm pulling the correct ones? Thanks...

3. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
  4. livingthedream

livingthedream Karting

Jun 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathon
    That is exactly what I needed to know! Thanks! I assume you simply disconnect the main group of wires coming in to each box? Pretty easy?

5. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    IIRC, the gang plugs don't just pull straight off, they are clipped at one end and pivoted at the other end. You'll see. The "mouse" system and the warning lights will no longer function, so you have to manually attach your lap belt and shoulder belt each time. Personally, I prefer it that way.

6. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    It's a free recall repair at your local Ferrari dealership. They will replace your entire mouse motor system with an improved version for free.

RECALLS:

1. 1994 Ferrari 348 Spider

NHTSA Recall ID Number: 98V250000

Recall Date: OCT 09, 1998
    Component: AIR BAGS:SIDE/WINDOW
    Potential Units Affected: 556
    Summary: VEHICLE DESCRIPTION: PASSENGER VEHICLES. THE AUTOMATIC SEAT BELT SLIDER CAN BECOME JAMMED WHEN THE SLIDER TAPE SEPARATES FROM THE TAKE-UP REEL, ILLUMINATING THE SEAT BELT WARNING LIGHT. SHOULD SUCH A CONDITION OCCUR, THE BELT MUST BE POSITIONED AND FASTENED MANUALLY BY CONNECTING THE BELT TO THE FIXED ANCHOR POINT.
    Consequence: THE OCCUPANT MAY NOT REALIZE THAT THE SEAT BELT CAN BE OPERATED MANUALLY, AND DOES NOT USE THE RESTRAINT SYSTEM, INCREASING THE RISK OF PERSONAL INJURY IN THE EVENT OF A VEHICLE CRASH.
    Remedy: DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE COMPLETE PASSIVE RESTRAINT SEAT BELT SYSTEM.
    Notes: FERRARI NORTH AMERICA

7. livingthedream

livingthedream Karting

Jun 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathon
    I emailed Vincent at the new Ferrari Silicon Valley shop here in the South Bay, and he said there were no outstanding recalls for my car (after taking my VIN). It took me a week to get contact with him via email, and two weeks for him to answer me back (after repeated follow up emails w/ no response) to let me know I was S.O.L. Not the greatest first impression.....

8. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    No kidding. That recall number is valid for all of the 1994 348's, by the way. Government mandated replacement, too.

9. livingthedream

livingthedream Karting

Jun 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathon
    Wow...very interesting. The description of the recall is exactly what is happening with my car. Mabye I'll try another Ferrari dealer and see what they say. Maybe he's correct, but if he's not, that is really bad customer service in my opinion....

10. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    So I guess those of us with 1991 348's that have non functioning seatbelts are SOL :(

11. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    Just a different recall number at most...may even be the same number. All 348's with the mouse motors were and are covered).

12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I respectfully disagree with that statement. Earlier 348's with the mouse have not (to my knowledge) been covered. The late spiders and 512TR have been covered.

If I'm wrong, please point me to the NHTSB bulletin, because there's a long line of us "brothers" who want our cars fixed on FNA's nickel.

13. Markie1949

Markie1949 Karting

Apr 4, 2005
    Utah
    I just unplugged the harness under the seats, I think that stopped the mad meeses but I can't remember if that also put out the lites. If that dosn't do the trick, just take out the lite bulbs for them. It only takes removing 2 screws at the bottom of the instrument binnacle to access the back of it and get at the bulbs.

14. sparta49

sparta49 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Mar 3, 2001
    LA
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I believe you are correct. I have checked the NHTSB website and could not find a recall. I did file a complaint with them and encourage everyone else to do the same.

15. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    Yesterday, I sent an email to my local Ferrari dealer (Ferrari/Maserati of Seattle) asking whether my 1990 348ts was eligible for replacement of the inoperative motorized seat belt system, either through a recall or an unpublicized campaign with FoNA. They sent a polite reply in less than 24 hours.

"Mr. Burk, according to the VIN supplied, there are no pending recall campaigns that apply to your car. There was never a seat belt recall that applied to this particular VIN. The Ferrari factory position on a car with this type of concern would be that it is the owner's responsibility. I would probably agree with you in your opinion of the car being quite useable the way it is. Please let me know if there are any other questions I may be able to answer for you. Douglas Taylor, Service and Parts Director, Ferrari of Seattle."

I think it is quite possible that Ferrari would have been forced to repair the cars on their dime if there were no backup attachment points for the belts. As to why there is a recall for the 1994 cars (Spiders only? TS? TB? SS?) and not the others, I don't know the answer to that one. I believe it would cost over $2000/side to replace the belt mechanisms. The dealer wouldn't lose any money on it, so they have no reason to mislead me.

16. livingthedream

livingthedream Karting

Jun 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathon
    I just put an email into Ferrari of San Francisco, so we'll see what they say?

17. livingthedream

livingthedream Karting

Jun 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathon
    Well....3 hours later, Ferrari SF makes 1st contact with a nice email saying that my initial iquiry has been forwarded to the proper individual and I should expect a reply sometime soon. So far, much better than Ferrari of SoV......

18. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    My mistake, sorry. I'm surprised, as it was stuck in my mind when I first saw the recall for my Spider that there was an identical recall for the other year models...and that certainly makes more sense than recalling the *identical* system on the late models but not the early ones...but sense and memory apparently aren't always facts.

19. MDshore348

MDshore348 Formula 3

Dec 24, 2004
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Darron
    id be interested to see if in fact it included 94 348ts.

20. livingthedream

livingthedream Karting

Jun 3, 2005
    San Francisco, CA
    Full Name:
    Jonathon
    Well...24 hours later, I now have an appt. with Ferrari of San Francisco to have the "recalled" seatbelts on my 348 replaced. They said that upon looking up the VIN of my car there were no outstanding recalls, but when they inquired further to Ferrari North America, there was in fact a recall for the seatbelts.

So....Thank you Ferrari San Francisco for outstanding customer service and for promptly getting back to me about this! No thanks to Ferrari Silicon Valley...I will not be planning on doing business with them anytime soon. Despite the fact that they are 10 minutes from my house as opposed to the San Francisco location which is 1 hour away.

21. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    So exactly which 348's, which years, which models, which VIN's, are subject to this "recall"?

22. No Doubt

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    That's the difference in just doing enough to get by, as most dimwits do in life, from that of being successful...Ferrari SF "inquired further" for a potential customer, no doubt turning a "potential" customer into an actual customer.

Good to hear that the recall applies to more than just my Spider, too!

23. Standig

Standig Karting

May 13, 2002
    Spring Hill, Fl
    Full Name:
    Stan DiGuiseppi
    Did you determine what years are covered?

24. rogerm2450

rogerm2450 Rookie

Mar 25, 2005
    Harrisburg PA
    Full Name:
    Roger Morgenthal
    I have the same problem with my driver's side system. I called Algar, near Philadelphia, and they took my VIN and checked. However, they said that my serial number was not under any recall notice. Now I'm going to contact Ferrari North America to see what they say. I'll post any response that I get.

25. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    This is sage advice right here....someone should start a thread, and get every 348 owner with seatbelt problems to file a complaint...once they got 20 or 30 of them, I assure you that would initiate an investigation.