What does "PROVA" mean? | FerrariChat

What does "PROVA" mean?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by SSNISTR, Nov 3, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL
    I have seen it on the back of some older Ferrari race cars. Can someone shed some light on what this actually means....thanks.

2. GrigioGuy

GrigioGuy Splenda Daddy
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 26, 2001
    E ' ' '/ F
    Full Name:
    Trailer Swift
  3. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

Test huh, thanks!

4. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    ...makes me think of cheese...

[Homer]Mmm....Provalone...[/Homer]

5. DJ4200GT

DJ4200GT Formula Junior

Aug 18, 2004
    I see you are from Long Island, there is an Enzo that resides there with "PROVA" on the license plates (Nassau County) I wonder is the owner reffering to the older Ferrari race cars, maybe someone can shed some light on this...?

6. AJS328

AJS328 F1 Veteran
    Owner

Apr 23, 2003
    New Jersey
    Full Name:
    Augustine Staino
    Apparently the "Prova" plates that are used by the factory to test cars allow the drivers to have no speed limits. The police see them and they just let them go. At least that's what I heard years ago.

7. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Yes that is somewhat correct. The factory uses these plates as kind of like dealer plates in that they can put them on any car when they need to road test them from the factory. And yes it does mean to 'test' or 'to prove'. I have the MA PROVA plate and guy I bought my car from has the RI plate.

FWIW it's also is the same in the Finnish language.

8. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    The actual verb means to "try" or to "test".

However, in the automotive world in Italy it does indeed mean test or test vehicle.

It is a requirement in Italy that if you do any testing of anything on a vehicle one must display a special plate on that vehicle that states "PROVA"!

In all the testing I did in the past in Italy we had to hang that plate from the trunk or very visibly in the rear window.

From some of the driving antics I had seen in Italy, however, I felt almost everyone should have been required to display this plate!

alex and ago car nut like this.
  9. docapl

docapl Formula Junior

Apr 26, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Anthony
    #9 docapl, Nov 4, 2005
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    paulchua likes this.
  10. GCalo

GCalo F1 Veteran

Sep 15, 2004
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Greg Calo
    No, it means everyone will get out of your way thinking you might have a few loose "nuts" testing your car!

Nice plate, though!

Car isn't bad either.

alex likes this.
  11. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K
    Thanks for the added info !

paulchua likes this.
  12. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #12 Napolis, Nov 5, 2005
    paulchua likes this.
  13. SSNISTR

SSNISTR F1 Veteran

Feb 13, 2004
    SFL

Thanks for the pic by the way....

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    . . . and if you've been a thorough reader of the threads in Vintage about the resurrection of Napolis' car, you'd know that the factory many times applied the "PROVA" with white shoe polish and not paint. . .

15. kyleseyz

kyleseyz Karting

Jan 24, 2005
    Seattle
    Full Name:
    Kyle
    aaaaaaaaaand napolis proves himself once again to be the coolest member of Fchat. :D:D:D

paulchua likes this.
  16. flyingboa

flyingboa Formula 3

Nov 27, 2003
    Italy/India
    Full Name:
    Eugenio
    "PROVA" plate is a registration reserved for subjects that are actually involved in professional dealing with automotive in Italy. Unlike other plates, PROVA can be moved from a vehicle to another as it is linked to an individual, not to the car itself. Due to that, you can ensure the plate instead than the vehicle.
    If you are a dealer and need to collect an unensured vehicle, you place your "PROVA" plate on top of the original thus certifying that ensurance is covering you.
    Ciao
    Eugenio
    BTW, you are subject to all road rstrictions, speed limit included! :)

993cc likes this.
  17. millemiglia01

millemiglia01 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2004
    the north shore li
    Full Name:
    amante
    #17 millemiglia01, Jul 3, 2017
    paulchua likes this.
  18. Fennicus

Fennicus Formula Junior

Apr 10, 2015
    Helsinki, Finland
    Full Name:
    Pekka T.
    #18 Fennicus, Jul 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2017
    Hi,

Really? Are you sure you are not confusing with some other language?

The Finnish test plates say: "Koe" which is Finnish for "Test" i.e. "Prova" in Italian.
    But yes, that is what the plates are used for, for testing cars that have no current registration or MOT etc.

And AFAIK both in Italy and elsewhere you are still supposed to follow all rules and regulations that apply to traffic. If the local cops know that those are cars being tested by Ferrari test drivers and decide to leave them alone, then that's another story. I know that country policemen might sometimes stop a sports car just to take a look at it and have a (friendly) chat with the driver/owner. :)

Cheers,

Pekka T.
    Fin.

Edit: here's a Finnish "test plate" being used: http://www.saloondata.com/gallery/zoom/?id=308880

mcw likes this.
  19. leoparker990

leoparker990 Karting

Apr 28, 2017
    United Arab Emirates
    Full Name:
    Leo Parker
    Mostly this word use for examining a new thing. If you are saying, you have seen "PROVA" written on car, then it means that vehicle was on the road for testing.

20. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    From some of the driving antics I had seen in Italy, however, I felt almost everyone should have been required to display this plate!

That is a BIG understatement!!