348 shift boot needs replacing and Noisy shifter! | FerrariChat

348 shift boot needs replacing and Noisy shifter!

Discussion in '348/355' started by 348Spiderguy, Nov 23, 2005.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 348Spiderguy

348Spiderguy Karting

Jul 5, 2005
    Palm Beach Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Does anyone know where I can pick up a new shifter boot? This is the rubber part that is below the shift gate. Mine is getting torn up.

Has anyone run into this problem? When I am in 4th or 5th gear I am getting a rattle from the shifter. I have to play with it to get it to stop.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Cheers

2. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

The non-Spider 348s don't have the rubber boot (I'm sure you knew that). My 348 therefore donesn't have one, but my shifter never rattles or makes any noise.

Is your shifter loose maybe?

3. 348Spiderguy

348Spiderguy Karting

Jul 5, 2005
    Palm Beach Florida
    Full Name:
    Eric
    No. I didn't know that. I don't think it is loose but I don't have access to another 348 to see if that is true. Does your 348 give you a hi-pitched whine when you down shift?

4. Dr.T348

Dr.T348 Formula 3

Jan 8, 2004
    Chicago NW Burbs
    Full Name:
    Richard T.
    I have a '94 348 tb and it DOES have a rubber boot under the shift plate. It is also slightly torn. I don't notice a rattle from it.

5. No Doubt

No Doubt Seven Time F1 World Champ

May 21, 2005
    Vegas+Alabama
    Full Name:
    Mr. Sideways
    http://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/showthread.php?t=80586

Check the above thread. Some have found the noise in 4th/5th to be a simple linkage adjustment issue...others have found the sound to be a warning prior to catastrophic tranny damage (e.g. ernie).

The key test seems to be to drain the tranny gear oil and check for signs of metal. Apparently no metal means a simple linkage adjustment...large chunks of metal means a serious tranny issue.

Anyway, changing out the gear oil is always a good thing. You can put in Red Line's MTL or Red Line's Superlight shock proof gear oil (or even Royal Purple's gear oil) and suddenly you'll be able to shift into 2nd gear even when your tranny is still cold (works great for my 348 Spider).

Keep the gear oil level between 90% and 100% full for best shifts. Also, your gated shift needs to be in line with your tranmission...which just takes a little trial and error by unscrewing the two phillips screws in the cockpit and moving the gate around a bit.

Easy.

6. fatbillybob

fatbillybob Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 10, 2002
    socal
    I am sure this does not help but. If you can hear the shifter rattle then you have an exhaust problem. You need the loud challenge exhaust. That is the way these cars should sound!!

7. elgin328

elgin328 Formula 3

Apr 11, 2004
    near Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Mark
    T Rutlands has them for $20.00 to $30.00

8. Ingenere

Ingenere F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Dec 11, 2001
    On the Limit
    Full Name:
    Dino
    That sounds like gearbox issues to me.........

9. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

Yes, you are right. I misspoke.

I should have said that pre-1994 348s don't have the rubber boot. :D

10. 348SStb

348SStb F1 Rookie
    Owner

I don't notice any whine when downshifting except maybe for the sound of the engine.

Are you double-clutching when you downshift?

11. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    Just replaced the torn boot on my '94 348GTS. Part Number F145498 from main dealer. Cost €17.11 ($19) + tax.

I have a buzzing noise from the change stick in 5th gear. Not always reproducible. Sounds like it's vibrating on the shift gate but I haven't got enough gate leeway to nudge it out of contact.

12. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Can someone explain or post pics on how to replace the 348 rubber boot shift correctly ?

13. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    My '91 348ts didnt have the boot, but I ordered one from Ricambi (part #145498 $28.00) last week and installed it... it sure looks alot better!

It installs with the flange side up, and sandwiched between the metal surround and the plastic console piece. Push the rubber down below the square part at the base of the shifter rod or as soon as you shift into reverse, the boot will pull out from the right side and jam all up on you.

14. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    How come your 348 wasn't fitted with a rubber gear change boot - I thought all 348's were. Mine is a late '93 model. And what do you mean the 'flange side up' when fitting the boot. Do you have any pics. Cheers.

15. Dr_ferrari

Dr_ferrari Formula 3
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Nov 2, 2003
    Pocono Sportscar
    Full Name:
    Jim McGee
    If the noise is from the shifter assembly, the shift linkage is out of adjustment and can simply be readjusted. The boot is still available from any ferrari dealer or as listed above, from Trutlands. If the noise is from the gearbox area, that may be a internal problem that you should get looked as as soon as possible.

best regards, Jim

16. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    1) Loosen the lock nut under the shift knob and then unscrew the knob from the shift shaft. After you have unscrewed the knob, remove the lock nut from the shift shaft by unscrewing it.

2) Remove the two screws holding the shift gate in place, and remove the shift gate.

3) Slide the old boot off the shift shaft and then replace it with a new one.

4) Follow the directions in reverse to put everything back together.

Happy Wrenching.

17. fxdwgs

fxdwgs Formula 3

Aug 22, 2006
    Sjobo, Sweden
    Full Name:
    Bengt
    Can someone send me a picture of this rubber boot.

Since I have had so much trouble with the A/C control box and taken it apart several times I thought I knew all the parts in that ceneter console. Never seen a "rubber boot" though.

Thanks

//B//

18. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
  19. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    #19 vegas1, Oct 25, 2007
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
  20. TheOnlyest

TheOnlyest Formula 3

Sep 25, 2007
    Las Vegas Nevada, US
    Full Name:
    Steve
    picture is shown upside down... the rubber flange with the 2 holes in it will be on top.

21. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    Thanx - I thought so.

22. ernie

ernie Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 19, 2001
    The Brickyard
    Full Name:
    The Bad Guy
    HAHAHAAAAA you big goof! That last pic was funny.

23. wingfeather

wingfeather F1 Rookie

Feb 1, 2007
    rock bottom
    What is this "pencil" thing in the photo? Is it N.O.S. from Italy? In the tool kit? Help!

24. vegas1

vegas1 F1 Rookie

Jul 28, 2004
    Australia
    I think it comes as part of the 348 tool kit.

25. dasadrew

dasadrew Formula Junior

Aug 1, 2004
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Drew H.
    Only Euro models.