Reuniting cars with their original documents | FerrariChat

Reuniting cars with their original documents

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by 8valve, Mar 17, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    After seeing the original Italian registration paperwork for 0609GT being offered for sale on eBay (the car still exists, it's an alloy bodied 'low roof' Boano, slightly dark red with blue roof and cloth interior) I thought about how delighted the owner of the car would be to retrieve this. All I know about this car is from what's on Barchetta.cc and the info I have from the original 1989 Christie's Monaco auction catalogue. Also, the car appears to have been at the Festival of Speed in 1997.

Here's the link to the auction that was ended early:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4620001283&rd=1&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&rd=1

Here's another example:

This is the service book to Dino #2132, not for all Dino's but specifically for this one car! And looking at the Dino register, the car still exists (in Australia?)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8027794385&category=6763

The purpose of this thread is to reunite paperwork (registration documents, service records/invoices, warranty booklets etc.) with the cars they belong to.If in a year from now one person has managed to find back some paperwork relating to his car, this thread will have been meaningfull in my opinion. So all of you, please post here what you have!

So let me start with what I have.

I have the original Warranty card and Owner's Service booklet for chassis# 35961, a 308GTBi that was originally delivered in Lugano, Switzerland on the 8th of April 1981.

Please help me find the owner of this car, so I can make him happy!

Oh, and if someone finds any paperwork for #33007, let me know:)

I hope this thread will get some good response,

Have a good day, Mick

430sixspeed likes this.
  2. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Nice idea but I suspect the market is too developed for most to play along

As a minor aside the Dino book is not for a specific car but cars after that chassis no

3. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Yes, you are right about the Dino manual. What exactly do you mean with the market being too developed for people to play along?Just curious....

4. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    The documents almost have more value separate from their vehicles - there is too much trading for people to do things from the goodness of their heart

You also get the really weird stories like the guy last year who having been tracked down told the fellow with his original books to get lost (its an old thread somewhere here)

5. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    I see what you mean Jimmie. But still I think there is some validity to this thread, and I hope more people will chime in. I don't want to imply that these documents should just be handed over to the owners of the cars for free , but at least these people should be made aware of the fact that the paperwork is still around and maybe available. It would be nice to use the internet, this forum with the wealth of knowledge and contacts, and the various registry's to get something done!

I remember the story you mentioned, but somehow I seem to remember that in the end the guy did take delivery of the documents. Does anyone have a link to that particular thread?

6. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Owner of 1979 308GTB #27599, US model originally sold by Hollywood sportscars of Beverly Hills, CA, USA to the first owner who also resided in Beverly Hills.
    Please find your original manual-set here:

www.************.com

7. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
  8. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Also at ************: Warranty booklet for 308GTBi #34685

Cool.

9. Teenferrarifan

Teenferrarifan F1 Rookie

Feb 21, 2003
    Media, PA
    Full Name:
    Erik
    Mick I think this thread is a great idea. I wonder why noone else is taking part ?
    Erik

10. cptndon

cptndon Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 24, 2005
    Annapolis
    OK! Does anyone know of any documents for Lusso #4393?

Thanks in advance.

11. docweed

docweed Formula Junior

Dec 8, 2004
    Morgantown,WV
    Full Name:
    Chuck Stewart
    Interested in locating any paper work on a 79 308 #25725 .....originally a Canadian car now in the states. Thanks.

12. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    From the fantasy Junction website: manuals for Dino #1118(maybe FROM#1118 onwards?) and 365GT2+2 #12811.See full list here:
    http://www.fantasyjunction.com/used-cars.php?id=fba3f7d680c38b6761d87739ac14dffb

Ferrari Manuals
    Stock: FJ253
    Complete Your Ferrari!

Item #10 $220
    Dino 246 GT
    Operating, Maintenance, and Service Handbook - 128 pages
    Printed in Italy n. 48 -1971
    Auto Association Inc. Sticker #: Missing -Glue is present, but no sticker
    Original Handbook for S/N 01118
    - Cover shows stains from use on front and back
    - One the front cover, the word ''Boox'' is handwritten in ink, in the upper right hand corner
    - On the front cover, there are 2 ink circles on the left hand side
    - The back cover has stains, of which a few are a bit darker than those on the front cover, and the bottom corner has been folded
    - The back cover staples have come loose, and the binding has separated from the spine of the book
    - The edges of the pages are discolored from use
    - The pages show use and have some staining, but are not torn

Item #14 $230
    Ferrari 365 GT 2+2
    Spare Parts Catalog -Approximately 75 pages
    Printed in Italy n. 35/69
    Auto Association Inc. Sticker #: 0081
    Original Handbook for S/N 12811
    - The cover has some yellow discoloration in the center
    - The edges of the cover are a bit tattered
    - The binding is done with 2 ''screws'' along the gutter, and there is a mild imprint of the screws shows along the edge of the front and back covers
    - The bottom right corner of the first 7 pages or so have a curl to them, but are not folded
    - The pages are straight and clean, with no folds or tears

13. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Documentation is known to exist (and possibly available) for the following chassis#'s:

0609GT (250 Boano)
    5901 (250LM)
    8377 (275GTB)
    12811 (365GT 2+2)
    27599 (308GTB)
    34685 (308GTBi)
    35961 (308GTBi)
    46911 (Mondial QV)

14. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Well, there are obviously more manual sets than cars, as all destroyed vehicles had some.......unless they burned in the trunk!

I don't think an owner would intentionally keep them as they enhance the value of the vehicle at time of sale! But I've seen luggage sets split from the car so it happens....

I did run across a guy who claimed he had BOXES of foreign car manuals that were routinely removed from cars as they crossed a used car lot on the East Coast! I urged him to inventory them, searching for Ferrari VIN #s but he never did.....:(

15. JTR

JTR Formula 3
    Owner

Apr 26, 2005
    in a house
    Full Name:
    John
    I'd be interested in anything for my Boxer, # 28633.

16. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    I have much original documentation for 250 GT PF #1176 and 250 GT PF #1935.

Cheers,

Julio Batista

17. 8valve

8valve Formula 3

Sep 3, 2003
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    Mick A.
    Everybody thanks for the responses, and especially Julio.This is the kind of info I was hoping for!Keep it coming guys.
    So we have:

0609GT (250 Boano)
    1176 (250 PF coupe)
    1935 (250 PF coupe)
    5901 (250LM)
    8377 (275GTB)
    12811 (365GT 2+2)
    27599 (308GTB)
    34685 (308GTBi)
    35961 (308GTBi)
    46911 (Mondial QV)

18. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    I think this is a really good thread. I have mixed feelings, however, about providing a place for people to do what I think is essentially wrong - selling documents that rightly always belonged with a car when it was sold.
    A few years ago, I inherited a box of coins and medals from my deceased uncle. In it were some WWI dog tags belonging to someone whose name was unknown in my family. I went on the web genealogy pages, found a tree within which the owner was listed and contacted his granddaughter. I sent it to her free of charge. I even paid the shipping. She was in tears to think that someone would show such selflessness. I felt great. I have always lived by the Golden Rule - but then again, maybe I'm just an old irrelevant fart whose time has passed.
    Tom Kizer

NYC Fred and 430sixspeed like this.
  19. Julio Batista

Julio Batista Formula 3

Dec 22, 2005
    Interesting moral issue TLK, but do ALL documents always belong to a car when it is sold? What about original and no longer valid registration papers? Repair, storage, or transportation bills? pre-purchase correspondance with the factory or the dealer? Correspondance with race authorities?

Cheers,

Julio Batista

20. Murph

Murph Formula 3

Apr 26, 2004
    SoCal
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    I'm searching for paperwork for my 1983 512BBi #44815

21. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    it has to be said that i have bought many items from owners that didn't care about them while they owned the car. these items don't belong to the car, they belong to the owner.

22. Jerrari

Jerrari F1 Veteran

Jul 24, 2001
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Jerry Wiersma
    I have the Warranty book for TR # 89819 (I believe it to be a silver 1991 model). I need same for mine # 81513. They got switched accidentally at WW of C in N.Y. when they were both in for service at the same time some years ago.

23. TLKIZER660

TLKIZER660 Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    Québec
    Good question, Julio. I can definitely say that I will not provide documentation, other than the corporate stuff that came with the vehicle, when I sell my 1993 Jeep. Ferrari ownership, however, in my opinion, has become something completely different. For those who show their cars, with many of those cars being absolutely perfect, it has come down to: "He with the original clock tag wins!"
    My car was driven in Italy for 15 years by 5 different owners, who lost all the original paperwork, tools, window crank, and even some of the body parts (during collision repairs). I doubt that it will ever be "complete" by Pebble Beach standards. Does it matter? It shouldn't, in my opinion. Although I wish I had the original manuals and tools that came with the car, I realize that when the car was new, those things were not really important to the owners, especially in Italy.
    When I sell my car, I will provide to the new owner everything that I have that relates to the car, including used original parts, reproduction books and manuals, the history that I've been able to document, my restoration files, and even old magazines that have contributed to my ownership pleasure.
    It is not my place to judge others nor to impose my values on them. I will simply do what I think is right and let others do likewise. If I ever come across documentation for someone else's car, I'll snatch it up and then try to find the original owner. I'll sell it for whatever I had to pay, just for the pleasure of doing what I would hope someone would do for me.
    I'll get off my soapbox now and go back to enjoying my Ferrari ownership experience. I apologize for hijacking the thread. I'll stop posting here unless I have something to contribute.
    Am I a fanatic - or what?
    Tom Kizer

24. greyboxer

greyboxer F1 World Champ

Dec 8, 2004
    South East
    Full Name:
    Jimmie
    Documents 205GT Ferrari Chassis 0609GT 250 gt Item number: 4625702001

Bonkers or bitter ?

25. pk246gt

pk246gt Karting

Apr 4, 2006
    Adelaide, Australia
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Hi all, My name is Paul and I'm located in Adelaide, South Australia. Recently I purchaced my first Ferrari; a Dino 246GT - 02424. I was told of ferrarichat.com. and having registered thought I'd ask whether anyone out there knows anything of the history of this beautiful car. I actually found the car listed on the 'Dino Register' - but the cars history prior to and after this listing datails is a mystery. Any assistance would be appreciated, (also where to find manuals in English for this model). Best regards to all, PK.