Who is Secretive about their Ferrari Ownership? | FerrariChat

Who is Secretive about their Ferrari Ownership?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by VTChris, May 2, 2006.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Just curious who keeps their ownership kinda like a secret and doesn't tell too many people about it (or them) in some cases.
    Do you just keep it between you and other F-car owners?

2. RP

RP F1 World Champ

Feb 9, 2005
    Bocahuahua, Florxico
    Full Name:
    Tone Def

I don't come out and tell anyone that I have a Ferrari. I am single, I definetely do not bring it up with a woman I just met. And since I haven't met one that I really like, looks like only the folks in the club know about the car for now.

3. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap
    Im not secretive about my 348 at all. Everyone whos knows me,knows about the car. When i meet new people,i dont tell them,but usually someone near-by asks about the car,then all hell breaks loose and the new friend starts firing questions away :) Which i dont mind at all :D

4. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Same as tifosiron. I don't volunteer that I have one, but my car-enthusiast friends always want to know what I'm driving because I usually have something special in the garage.

If someone asks, I'll gladly talk about Ferraris (mine included) with anyone.

5. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    I haven't told alot of people yet, but I've only owned the car for 3 months. There is nobody at work who knows, and I'm going to try to keep it that way. Even though it's just a Dino 308GT4, people hear the word, "Ferrari," and well...you know. I work with 4 cardiac surgeons - one drives a new Toyota Highlander Hybrid, one drives a brand new 350Z Roadster, and the other two drive big BMWs. Their money is in their homes, not their cars, and rightfully so here in the Bay Area.

My Ferrari is one of my few "extras" that I take - I'm usually very practical -but people will just assume it is, or was, a $100,000 car just because it's red and says "Ferrari" on the back. Little do they know, the car probably cost less than 90% of the cars in the hospital lot. It's best just to keep it on the downlow, methinks.

6. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    I was looking at a black/black (red piping/inserts) 360 spider last year and the salesman mentioned that the owner kept it a secret from his wife. He had it garaged at a friend's house and would have to sneak out to drive it.

7. VTChris

VTChris F1 World Champ

Aug 21, 2005
    Sounds like a happy marriage ;)

8. PAP 348

PAP 348 Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Dec 10, 2005
    Mount Isa, Australia
    Full Name:
    Pap

Wow :) I wonder what else he kept secret from his wife? ;)

9. dysko

dysko Formula Junior

Sep 20, 2005
    Altus
    Full Name:
    Dave
    While not an owner, I can't think of an owner I know who really tells people.

From my experience F car owners tend to want to be treated like people, not what people think F car owners are. So they prefer not to bring up the car(s) unless it comes up.

Imagine that... people wanting to be treated like there is more to who they are than a car they happen own? Who'd a thunk it?

10. WILLIAM H

WILLIAM H Three Time F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Victory Circle
    Full Name:
    HUBBSTER
    If a woman or some1 out of the blue asks I tell them I drive a Navigator or a Mini :)

11. F430SilverArrow

F430SilverArrow Formula Junior

Dec 3, 2005
    Northern California
    Full Name:
    Robert Spiteri
    I am very discrete. My wife and one non-Ferrari owner friend knows. I have not told my other friends and acquaintances. Since I am retired, I do not need to worry about co-workers. I tell my kids not to ever discuss it with their friends. I have not even told my parents. They grew up during the depression and just do not understand today's wealth creation. I never drive it to any social functions with my wife unless it is to dinner and we are not meeting anyone we know.

I never bring it up, unless someone said saw me in it and even then, I let them bring it up if they want to. I try to keep my personal things to myself. When you live in Silicon Valley, it is best to keep your finances discrete. Many people have money from Hi Tech sector here and are just normal people that got lucky. N. Cal people are more down to earth. S. Cal folks either just want people to think they have money or have it and want people to know they have it. The difference between N. & S. Cal. in a nutshell.

12. tuck

tuck Formula Junior

Jan 23, 2004
    I don't let many people in my workplace know that I have a F-car. That's because most of them would almost definitely give me sh*t for having one. As it was, when I was driving a boxster 3 years back, some were giving me a hard time, some totally ignored me, and not to mention the stupid questions I get, like 'where do you get your money from?' 'Won't you lose a lot of money when you sell it?' 'why can't you get a normal car?' 'where will your parents sit?' etc.... Imagine what will happen if they know that I drive a F-car now.

13. BT

BT F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 21, 2005
    FL / GA
    Full Name:
    Bill Tracy
    I tell everyone when it can be a natural part of the conversation. Getting the Ferrari was one of my goals after becoming self employed. It is like gospel. Spread the word, it is good news! Having excitement and talking about a car you really enjoy is very different than bragging about spending alot of money on a car that you really know very little about (The Dr. Phil type). Usually you can only bring it up in conversation with other car folks, but occasionally others want to know about it.
    :D
    BT

14. SoftwareDrone

SoftwareDrone F1 Veteran
    Sponsor Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 19, 2004
    San Jose, California
    Full Name:
    Mike
    This is funny. Reminds me of when they had a contest to see who the most humble person was in the church. They picked someone, pinned a medal to his chest that said, "I'm the most humble person in this church", then promptly took it away from him because he no longer qualified (ha ha).
    The moment someone responds to this post, they are no longer secretive about their Ferrari.

15. ylshih

ylshih Shogun Assassin
    Honorary Owner

Mar 21, 2004
    Northern CA
    Full Name:
    Yin
    Nahhh. This is more like an AA or GA meeting where you get a chance to come clean about your secret vice :)!

16. Meister

Meister F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2001
    Duluth, MN
    Full Name:
    The Meister
    I play it pretty low key.

Say the word Ferrari around where I live and the first thing people think of is $100K plus car....which is not always the case. Thinking like that can lead to jealousy and recrimination so it's better to just drive and enjoy and if someone see's you in it then you talk about it, otherwise I don't need the extra attention.

I do have this one particular problem though. I have a buddy who for some reason likes to bring it up whenever he can (the fact that I have a ferrari). He's self absorbed and insecure. If we are talking with total strangers and the conversation turns to cars, it's a sure bet that he'll say "scott drives a ferrari...." He's obvioulsy got some issues about trying to impress people, he thinks if his freinds are cool then he must be too... It's sad and funny at the same time.

17. Bullfighter

Bullfighter Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jan 26, 2005
    Indian Wells, California
    Full Name:
    Jon
    Lol. Actually, my neighbor walked over the first day I had mine and said: "I just had to come over and give you sh*t..." (good spiritedly!)

18. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  19. Speedracer38

Speedracer38 F1 Veteran

Oct 11, 2004
    Connecticut
    Full Name:
    Jason Thorgalsen
    My friend said he drives his 308 to work 3-4 times a week.

20. ROLOcr

ROLOcr Formula Junior

Oct 25, 2005
    Costa Rica
    Full Name:
    ROLO
    it's always better to keep a low profile!

21. Perfusion

Perfusion F1 Rookie

Oct 16, 2004
    Marietta, GA
    Full Name:
    Aaron
    Yeah...my neighbor across the street did the same thing. He's awesome, though - retired, always outside working in the yard or in the garage with the door up. The thing is, the guy's a major car nut - he just likes the older stuff. He's got a *cherry* '56 Ford Victoria and 3 Model-A Fords - one truck, one "driver", and his show car. All 4 vehicles are so incredibly clean, it's unbelieveable.

He really likes having somebody across the street to hassle (me), whether it's about my cars, my lawn, the fact that my wife and dog hang out in the backyard and not the front, etc. He's a great neighbor, and one I am happy to share my "hobby" with. My coworkers, and even some of my friends though, no way.

22. show time

show time Formula Junior

Jan 5, 2006
    Scottsdale AZ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    I try and play low key, I work for the government, most everyone at the office knows about it, I usually drive it into work on Fridays, now that someone let the cat out of the bag. I got all the "how can you afford this" and the "your parents must be rich" or the "What are you pushing on the side" stuff, but I try to explain the choices in life I made before coming to work for the government how I was a Telecom Executive and investments etc etc, but they like to keep thinking the opposite. It’s only an '86 328, but like people say the mention of any F-Car = $100,000's to most people. I never bring it up in conversation and when people ask what I drive I don't even mention it.

23. racespecferrari

racespecferrari F1 Veteran

Jan 31, 2006
    Suffolk, Uk
    Full Name:
    Pete.G By The Sea
    I don't tell anyone, although most love them there are still one or two jealous folk out there who will gladly 'key' your car, sadly I have seen that done a few times to others, I also like to keep a low profile for security reasons as my garage is not yet alarmed

24. BigAl

BigAl F1 Veteran

Mar 17, 2002
    TX
    Full Name:
    GSgt Hartman
    agree with Jon and Ron.

25. jsa330

jsa330 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I've only "announced" my Ferrari to three or four people in my pre-ownership life, and those persons are auto enthusiasts at my level or otherwise well-wishing types.

Neighbors all see me around in it and reactions range from complimentary to completely unaware/indifferent.

My last boss knows about it and he's a longtime good friend and well-wishing type, but I never take it up to the building where I used to work or tell other former professional associates about it...the ongoing competitiveness, ego-upmanship, and sarcasm was heavy with some folks...it would just get me handed a lot of stupid bullschit.

Of course, I'm more than happy to show it off to those that I've met in the Ferrari world.